Slimming tablets - Good or Bad

Do you agree with slimming tablets?

• Total voters

Debs1972

MiniMins Addict
What are your views on slimming tablets? Have you taken any and if so did it work for you?

I n the past I have been prescribed Orlistat in the past and if anyone knows about Orlistat (Xenical) you will agree – you can have embarrassing moments – luckily I didn’t but have come close. For me I don’t think it worked, that could possibly be because I did not take them regular I don’t know.

I have also tried Lipobind and Adios and once again – did not take regular so don’t think they worked. As you can tell I am not a lover of taking tablets especially if you have to take them with food as I never ate regular.

Has anyone heard of capsiplex – Chilli or red pepper tablets that supposedly speed up the metabolism amongst other things, it claims that you can burn 200+ more calories when taken prior to workout. I started taking 1 a day about a week ago, can’t see anything but don’t they it takes about a week for meds to kick in – so I am hoping. Will keep you posted

I have heard that Acai berry is also supposed to be good to. Has anyone tried them or any of the above?

Debs

I tried Adios many years back and I felt like they did nothing, it does say take them as part of a healthy diet and excercise regime but then I'm asking, if I'm doing all that why do I need slimming tablets??? What exactly are they contributing to my slimming? I understand with the metabolism speeders and the calorie burners but Adios just doesn't do any of that, seems pointless lol

You need another option on your poll. I don't agree with them but I don't think that they're 'cheating' I just think they're pointless. They're generally extremely bad for you and they do nothing to retrain your attitude and habits towards food so have no real long term benefit in general in my opinion.

You need another option on your poll. I don't agree with them but I don't think that they're 'cheating' I just think they're pointless. They're generally extremely bad for you and they do nothing to retrain your attitude and habits towards food so have no real long term benefit in general in my opinion.

Ill second that :)

The only pounds you lose taking slimming tablets are £'s

I agree Amethsywitch calorie burners & metabolism increasers are great as an aid. But I do also agree with Caroline /starlight re (some not all) being a waste of money but we could also say the same for things like slimfast shakes etc they work for some people & not for others. I think its "each to their own". Whatever works for you

Thanks for the tip re another option on the poll but at the same time, without it, it gives more option for discussion

Thanks for replying

I've taken Hoodia and something from a UK based company, can't remember what it was called! You take 3 a day and they expand in your stomach after a pint of water. Waste of time and money!

I've tried Alli. It has done some good but you have to be on a diet anyway to use it and the side effects include orange poo and dodgy farts. You can't eat anything high fat because you will get the runs and it's a bit pricey. Saying that, when taken in the right context, I have found it effective.

I think when I start my boots diet, I'll give it a miss so I can see how effective the diet alone is.

I've been taking capsiplex. Bearing in mind I'm following SW eating plan, have cut down on bread & Alcohol by 90%, take the dogs out for 2.5 hours a day, I can't say it's made any difference at all. I knew when i bought them they probably wouldn't work, but you always have that little thing in your head saying if you see a better result it might just keep you focused...it didn't!

Just my experience...

Over the years I've been prescribed three sorts of slimming tablets: Adifax, Reductil and Xenical. Adifax and Reductil are no longer prescribed, and xenical wasn't having a significant effect on my weight loss, and so I felt that it wasn't worthwhile carrying on.

I think we all wish there was a magic tablet we could take, but there isn't. It takes hardwork, dedication and commitment to lose weight, IMHO tables such as acai, hoodia and adios are a waste of money (and I've tried them all) If you want to lose weight you will - and you can spend the money you would have spent on tablets on healthy food or a gym membership.

xxx

Been on xenycal which did work but actually doesn't really help when you have to come off it! I used to abuse them too.eeeekkkkkk!!! I used to have a mega scoff of things like a pkt of cashew nuts followed by a pill and I used to have the most horrendous abdo pain .... what a stupid mare I was......

Been on xenycal which did work but actually doesn't really help when you have to come off it! I used to abuse them too.eeeekkkkkk!!! I used to have a mega scoff of things like a pkt of cashew nuts followed by a pill and I used to have the most horrendous abdo pain .... what a stupid mare I was......

Sweetheart, you are most definitely not a stupid mare, this is something that the vast majority of us have done.

And for me, that's the issue with slimming tablets, they don't help in re-educating eating habits, and very quickly we learn to cheat them and suffer the consequences.

xxx

Aw thank you Rach, thing is I think I am beyond redemption but am feeling more optimistic since I found you all on here, got a long way to go though .......never mind day 2 and counting.....

With Xenical, personally I don't think I'd bother. Whilst they are proven to improve weight loss when combined with a diet, it's only improves weight loss by 2-3kg per year compared to diet alone. If I had to pay for them, I don't think it'd be worth it for me just to lose an extra 6 and a half pounds in one year! Saying that, I don't think it's "cheating", I just don't see the point when the increase in weight loss seems fairly insignificant. Plus, I think when you're eating a low-fat diet, most of the fat your body probably needs to use to help you absorb fat-soluble vitamins and keep your skin, nails and hair in good nick, rather than getting rid of it in explosive bowel movements!

As for the "speedy" variety of weight loss drugs, most, if not all of them have been banned now anyway. They all act similarly to your average street amphetamine... which was fine when I was a party animal wanting to dance in a club for 10 hours, but not when I have a life to live and work to go to!

I've tried hoodia in the past and it had absolutely no affect on me at all - I think it's supposed to work by making of feel full faster, so I think that taking it before you've properly retrained yourself to think differently about food is a waste of time. I know that before my diet I was eating beyond the point of being full because I had no idea how to recognise being full, so being full faster was a bit pointless.

Hey all

:)Hi All, how are you all?
Thanks for all your post:)
Pookiepooka: Seems like Alli has the same effect as Orlistat (Xenical) – one of the reasons I stopped taken them. I also heard a story about a couple who were taking it also, but they never changed their diet they just continued to eat junk as they felt the tablets would take out all the fat. I dread to think what embarrassing accidents they had – Good luck with your boots diet, let me know how it goes. I signed up for the tesco diet but really did not like many of the requested meals and got fed up of having to constantly change them. Maybe my problem is I don’t plan ahead. I decide on the day what we are going to eat.
Mutley: I have only been taking capsiplex for about a week, but in that time I have increased the amount of exercise I do, so I am undecided as to whether any weight loss is due to the tablets or to increased exercise. I will finish the months’ supply and decide. The thing I like about them is the fact that you only take one a day. I have taken others where you have to take 2-4 and that’s a nightmare when you are not a lover of tablets. Have you stopped taking them now?
Rach; you are right! If losing weight was as simple as that there would not be so many overweight people and these products would be prescribed regular by doctors (lol as I am typing this an advert for Adios was on TV) it’s so hard not to fall into the trap of buying (or compulsive buying as in my case) when you see that they are endorsed by celebrities. But when we stop to think about it, did they really lose their weight by using the product or did they have help, i.e. surgery. I have just watched a program called “40 most slimmed down celebs” which was on MTV – one guy lost over 360lbs. But one thing I noticed was majority of them had Gastric Bypasses. So I have decided (whilst typing this) that as soon as these tablets are finished I will not be wasting any more money on any more. I will just continue as I am.
Happypear: your post made me laugh (which actually hurts after doing sit ups yesterday lol) re explosive bowel movement & party animal. You too are right. Thanks. Love your weightloss chart signature
Checking a few more posts then off to gym. See you all later

Back