SLOW COOKER RECIPES

was just looking back over this thread earlier on. Think I need to start using mine again so I have a meal ready after work. Been badly off plan and need to sort myself out. I'm a cleaner in our local market so no excuse not to grab a joint and some veg and get creative :)

I have cooked my gammon joint in the slow cooker covered with diet cola or sugar free orange fanta. Sounds horrid but is delish!!!! x

How long did you cook the gammon for? It sounds really easy and nice and maybe the diet coke counteracts the saltiness of the gammon, which I sometimes find a bit overpowering and makes you thirsty afterwards.

Ok, I added the rice an hour before and it's perfect. The recipe has turned out perfectly, I just did some experimenting and it's worked so well it's in unbelievable!!!

CHINESE CHICKEN AND RICE

Brilliant idea and sounds so easy, definitely one I'll be trying soon. Think the whole family will enjoy this.

Getting the slow cooker out tomorrow after reading all these posts, starting with a lovely lemon chicken and who knows after that.

I can't wait for tomorrows dinner
:)

my cooker broke two weeks ago - had to resort to my slow cooker and 'air fryer' & microwave. I had forgotten how good the slow cooker is - mine is probably 25 years old.....still going strong - anyway we've had stews again and steak and vegetables and pork chop casserole - all have been lovely - tonight though I did the BBQ Pulled Pork recipe off SW - and it was absolutely delicious, no doubt the recipe is here on the sc thread ? - oven now fixed but still going to use my slow cooker as it's nice to come home from work to a meal already cooked for you.

This thread has really made my mouth water. i think I must try some of these recipes:)

Have you tried Turkey drumsticks in the slow cooker. Very tender and tasty. No water needed, you may have to saw/cut the end of the bone off to get one or two in, but it is worth it. I put couple of foil balls in just to keep them off the bottom and coated them in chicken oxo. Don`t think it was needed really. But worth a go,

Hi everyone :), great thread ! Just a quick question from me, I will be buying a slow cooker soon. I normally do green days and use quorn a lot in stews, casseroles, curries. Do you think it would be ok in the slow cooker, or do you think it might break apart ? Because I know it wont take as much time as meat to cook so was a bit confused :confused:. Has anyone else tried Quorn in the slow cooker ? Does the texture come out alright ? Also what quorn product did you use and how long did you cook it for ? Thank you all help is appreciated ;).

Kay xx

I use quorn in the slow cooker quite a lot. If I put a bit of lean mince in with it, my family dont notice they are eating quorn :)
I use either frozen or fresh and just leave it for the normal few hours.

I use quorn in the slow cooker quite a lot. If I put a bit of lean mince in with it, my family dont notice they are eating quorn :)
I use either frozen or fresh and just leave it for the normal few hours.

Thanks hun for getting back to me. I hope you don't mind me asking, what quorn product do you use and how long do you cook it for ?

Kay xx

I use quorn mince and leave it in for a few hours (or up to 6 with real mice)

Ok I think I will start with the quorn mince first then, then I'd like to use the quorn chicken pieces next in a curry. I'm thinking of doing it for 4 hours on high, just a guesstimate, hope it works lol . Thank you so much for your help ;).

Kay xx

Here's a recipe I had for ages, before trying but is now a firm favourite ...... so tasty. It was from the Good Food site.

SLOW COOKER LATIN CHICKEN - Serves 6

Approx. 1.5 Syns per serving, if using the oil, which does actually improve it.

1 tbsp. olive oil - 6 Syns
1.3kg skinless chicken thighs (can use breast but thigh has more taste)
Salt and black pepper to taste
8 tbsp. coriander leaves, chopped
2 large sweet potatoes, cut into chunks - I tend to par-boil these for about 10 mins before adding
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
2x400g cans black beans (or Pinto, if you can't find black), rinsed and drained
125ml chicken stock - keep an eye on this towards the end of cooking and add a little more, if necessary
210g spicy salsa - 3.5 Syns, if using Tesco Hot Salsa Dip, Asda, Chosen by You Hot + Spicy Salsa Dip or Morrisons Spicy Tomato Salsa (others, after checking on-line Syns were slightly higher)
2 tsp. ground cumin
Half tsp. ground allspice
3 large cloves of garlic, chopped

You can save Syns by making your own salsa by mixing together 200g chopped tomatoes, 1 finely chopped onion and a good sprinkling of chilli flakes. I've never done this but it was suggested by someone who had reviewed the recipe on the GF site.

Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan; season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle half of the coriander over the chicken; brown the chicken in the frying pan, 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
Arrange the chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the sweet potato, red pepper and beans on top of the chicken.
Mix together the stock, remaining coriander, salsa, cumin, allspice and garlic together in a bowl, then pour into the slow cooker.
The GF site says to cook on Low for 4 hours but I usually do it on Low for 8 hours but don't bother par-boiling the potato for the longer cooking time.

I never usually bother pre-browning anything before adding to the slow cooker but did follow the recipe this time and did so. Looks a long list of things but there's hardly any prep and the result is delicious!

ITALIAN BRAISED BEEF

serves 4 syns 2 on original 15 on green Prep time 15 minutes. Cooking time 6 hours 25 minutes

1 onion, finely chopped
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 pint beef stock made with Bovril
1/4 pint red wine
1lb 10oz lean braising beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
Fry Light
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
20z black olives

1. Place the onion, celery, carrot and garlic in a saucepan and pour over the stock and wine. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
2. Brown the beef for 5 minutes in a frying pan sprayed with a little Fry Light. Transfer to the slow cooker and pour over the onion and stock mixture. Add the rosemary sprigs and season with salt and pepper.
3. Turn the heat up to high, cover and leave for 6 hours. Just before serving stir in the olives and leave for 10 minutes to heat through.

Last edited:
BUTTERBEAN, PEPPER AND TOMATO STEW

Serves 4 Syns 11 original Negligible on Green
Prep time 15 minutes Cooking time 4 hours 5 minutes

1 onion, roughly chopped
1 stick celery, roughly chopped
2 red or yellow peppers, de-seeded and sliced
2 courgettes, sliced
1 pint passata
1/2 pint vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs rosemary
2 x 410g cans butterbeans, drained and rinsed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Basil for garnish

1. Place the onion, celery, peppers, courgettes passata and stock in a saucepan. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. Transfer into the slow cooker, add the herbs and butterbeans and season well with salt and pepper.
3. Cover and leave to cook on high for 3 1/2 - 4 hours. Just before serving remove the rosemary and bay leaves and scatter over some basil leaves.

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting a slow cooker and this thread has inspired me to do so. I love my wok as less washing up so a slow cooker for winter would be great! :)

Back