1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 medium carrots, peeled or unpeeled and thickly sliced
500g potatoes, peeled or unpeeled, quite thickly chopped
2 tbsp. tomato puree
2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
400ml beef stock
400g can baked beans

If you like, you can brown the mince off, before adding to the slow cooker. I never bother, especially when buying the beef from my local farm shop, as hardly any fat comes off it at all.
Basically, throw everything (apart from the baked beans) into the slow cooker, making sure the potatoes are placed on the base and up the sides of the cooker, where they cook better.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste and cook for 3-4 hours on High or 6-7 on Low.
Stir the baked beans through for the last 15 minutes.

Lovely served with lots of green veg.

If too liquidy at the end of cooking, I transfer to a large pan and rapidly boil, stirring frequently, until the consistency thickens.

Last edited:
I've just put an Asian Pulled Pork recipe for the slow cooker on the Delicious Meals with Minimum Ingredients thread, for anyone who likes that sort of thing.

Kathy

How do you make spaghetti bolognaise in a slow cooker?

How do you make spaghetti bolognaise in a slow cooker?

I found this, but don`t know where. You could add anything you want to make into your kind of bolognese. Hope this is some help to ou

chuck mince 5 per cent, chopped onion, peppers, mushrooms in slow cooker and add pasatta, and tin of toms and seasoning and turn on and leave for at least 6 hours. I leave all day. I add an oxo cube too and a bit of water. Do this every Monday for dinner x

Last edited:
How much water do you add? I've bought my first slow cooker and never used one before

Depends what you're cooking. You don't need any liquid with things like joints and not a lot with other meals either, as this type of cooking creates lots of condensation. Hope that helps, dinks. :)

Depends what you're cooking. You don't need any liquid with things like joints and not a lot with other meals either, as this type of cooking creates lots of condensation. Hope that helps, dinks. :)

Thank you!

I've got a chicken curry in just now that I took from a post which had 200ml stock and it's pretty much ready it's just really watery! So I've taken the lid off and hopefully this will thicken it up.

Yes, I either do that or transfer it to a large pan and let it bubble away on the hob until it thickens up. Hope you like it! :) Just a bit of trial and error at first!

Kathy

Beef brisket, red onions, beef stock, red wine and bouquet garni in the slow cooker for tonights dinner...

ImageUploadedByMiniMins.com1422350066.469375.jpg

My favee slow cooker recipe of all time is a sausage casserole I found on a slimming world blog and to make it even better, it's only 1 syn per serving! :D
1 large onion
1 large carrot
2 cloves of garlic
1 small sweet potato
8 low fat sausages, chopped up (I use Tesco Light choices sausages)
1 red pepper, chopped
400ml of passata
100ml of chicken stock
frozen peas
splash of Worcestershire sauce

I cut up my sausages and fry them with a bit of Frylight with the onions and garlic. I then transfer it all to the slow cooker, and add the chopped peppers, sweet potato, carrots and the cooked sausages and onion! I smother it with the passata, chicken stock and a splash of Worcestershire sauce and cook it on low for the whole day! Before serving, I chuck in the peas and let them cook for 5 mins, then serve it up on it's own or with some home made mash!

An absolute fav in my household - If i'm feeling naughty, i'll chuck in some chorizo and add the syns depending how much I add! (usually about 3 syns per serving)

I've got this in my slow cooker now whilst I'm at work!

Can't wait to see how it turns out - I'm not the best cook!

Hi Lynne. Do you have the reciepe for the beef bourguignon? It look's amazing. Thanks

Thank you celtic-chick x

I don't follow a specific recipe, but basically it is as follows, with amounts to suit how many portions you want to make, or the size of your slow cooker you are using.

Lean braising/stewing steak/beef or a joint of brisket cut up into cubes, red onion, carrots, button mushrooms, garlic and a bouquet garni, put in the slow cooker, seasoned with salt and ground black pepper, then cover with equal quantities of beef stock and red wine.

I tend to cook it on high, then reduce to low or medium, when it looks almost cooked, which can vary depending on the meat.

Back