Smear Test

Petal01

Still Climbing That Hill!
Hi
Just wondered if the recent tragic story of JG has got anyone thinking of going for a smear test? The last one i had was over 14 years ago:eek::eek: but now im thinking i should go tho im not too sure where to go, do you just phone gp surgery or make appointment with nurse at your GP's surgery?

yeah just phone gp nurses do it at mt surgery, get it booked today!
I had an abnormal smear 5 yrs ago thankfully after 5 years of yearly smears i now am back to 3 yearly tests. its really important even tho they arent the most glamorous thing in the world

I booked for a smear test not long ago, but they have changed he guidlines and you can't have one if you are under 25, which I think is appalling considering Jade Goodies story.

At 25 I will have been sexually active for 10 years, too long to go without a smear test IMO.

Yeah I was really pissed (excuse my french) about them raising the age to 25 especially as Jade Goody is only 27. I really want a smear test. I'm 22 and when I asked the nurse about it I was told they don't do them till 25. considering they now have the vaccine thing and are promoting the importance of the cervical smear I believe they should lower the age or provide one for anyone that asks xxx

I totally agree. I think that it's disgusting that girls are refused a smear test if they specifically ask for the test. If I were under 25 and was refused one, I would DEMAND one (I was only taken seriously for something else when my mum demanded that I was referred to a haematologist)!! A young girl in the north east has recently died of Cervical cancer and she was only about 21 - it's heartbreaking to think that her death could have been avoided :cry:

Couldn't agree more toots it is disguting the way the NHS seem to be willing to gamble with our health I remember reading up to two years before JG was diagnosed she had collaped twice or more with unnormal bleeding and had been taken to hospital for tests and told nothing was wrong!!! I have a routine appointment this wednesday so might try doing some demanding myself. I just don't understand why the age was raised in the first place? xxxx

Couldn't agree more toots it is disguting the way the NHS seem to be willing to gamble with our health I remember reading up to two years before JG was diagnosed she had collaped twice or more with unnormal bleeding and had been taken to hospital for tests and told nothing was wrong!!! I have a routine appointment this wednesday so might try doing some demanding myself. I just don't understand why the age was raised in the first place? xxxx

You go for it and don't take no for an answer!!

They are right in the sense in that it is very unusual for someone so young - BUT I believe that peace of mind is a basic right and if these tests catch those few that are the exception to the rule (ie unusual for under 25 yrs) then that can only be a good thing!!

xx

Thank Toots I won't take no for an answer I'm even going to call my local Brook tomorrow as they do the tests aswell and I have heard they are a little more understanding and lenient regarding the age thing apparently the doctors and nurses are not bothered about the age it's the labs who refuse to run the tests on people below 25 unless there is good reason as otherwise they feel it is a waste of their money:mad:. My ex boyfriends sister got abnormal test results back and she was 22 at the time the same age as I am now. Thank God the bad cells were removed as she has been clear ever since. I may not have been a big fan of Jade Goody in the past but I whole heartedly applaud the woman for bringing the issue to the publics attention and feel incredibly sorry for her and all the other women and men who are having to go through the hell of any type of cancer. If the brook or my doctor won't listen to me I will just pay for a private test they are about £100 whitch is exspensive and no one should have to pay in the first place but my health and peace of mind are far more important to me. xxxx

In all seriousness.. i wouldnt take no for an answer.. demand they give you one..!! at the end of the day.. you're trying to protect your body.. if they say no.. go higher..
theres the sun doing a petition atm to lower the age again..
x x

I am really going to give the demanding my all. It would be intresting to know if others have been allowed the test under the age of 25 after the age was raised. Petitions are great aswell but I have little faith in the powers that be doing something about it I mean if they cared at all they wouldn't have raised the age in the first place. The only thing that makes a difference to those people is money sadly. xxx

in other countries it's from when you are sexually active or 20 years old, whichever comes first. it's ridiculous that you have to be 25 here. i am 24 and am going to go into my local GUM clinic and get one done.

I ha an abnormal smar years ago but when i ws sent for more tests they said they couldnt find anything abnormal! I have had yearly tests since then but what gets m is that i was told that it takes up to 20 years for cervical cancer to get to a stage 3!! What happened to Jade then???? If she was going for reg smears every 3 years as we are supp to, then this should not have happened! What a shame

I read an article whitch stated that Goody was encouraging women to go for follow ups when they recieve notification of abnormal cells as she had one her self but ignored it I'm not sure how true this is or not though but I do remember her being in and out of hospital a few times and being sent home and them thinking it was IBS or similer. Well I phoned The Brook today as on their website it said they provide cervical smears and was told no as I was under the age of twenty five and had experienced no abnormal bleeding. So I phoned around all my local GUM clincs that were on the Gum website either told no straight off or given another number where I was told no. One women who ansewred the phone told me to ring the brook and when I informed I had and was refused a smear she herself said she was incredibly disgusted. I even typed into google "where can I get a cervical smear under the age of 25" and got a list of sites and and article telling me that the most important thing I could do was to have a cervical smear whitch is great advice to give when no one will allow me have one. I'm so angry about all of this I could scream I pay my tax and prescription fees it's my body and my health and If I want it tested I should be allowed to have it done. (sorry about the rant guys) xxx

Last edited:
:mad::mad::mad::mad:
It's not like it's the most fun thing to do or the least embarassing. You want it one for a reason. I would make an appointment with your GP and explain that it is causing you emotional distress - really lay it on with a trowel (you are obviously concerned so it is not a lie).

For crying out loud, they should be applauding you for being so damned sensible.

Good luck

xx

Thanks again Toots I'm really going to plead my case this wednesday and let you know how I get on otherwise I have made an appointment at a private clinc whitch will cost me £95 but I would rather pay then sit around till I'm 25 with my fingers crossed xxx

Good luck. I'm sure that the test will come back fine. Like you say, even if you have to pay, you can't put a price on your peace of mind.

xx

Thankyou Toots I pray the tests will come back fine aswell and your right you can't put a price on your health or peace of mind (but for everything else theres mastercard lol) xxxxx

i made an appointment for one next wednesday.... they know i'm 24 and said that was no problem. its at the local womens health sentre at the hospital so not sure why some places do it and some dont.

As usual it's all to do with money.:mad: I suppose the vaccines are costing so much that they've had to cut other facilities. Apparently the vaccine doesn't gaurantee you won't develop cervical cancer hence the need for regular tests anyway.:confused:

I have had 3 since I was 18 and I find the female dr at family planning clinic is far more efficent than the nurses at my health centre who handle you like a sack of spuds.:rolleyes:

Well I had a word with the nurse today and she gave me that number for the brook so for the millionth time this week I explained that they had already said no whitch shocked her so she is going to have a word with the doctor and I have to call back this afternoon to get the verdict fingers crossed xxx

Update: Great newes I just got off the phone with the doctors and they have agreed to give me the test woo hoo I don't think anyone has ever been so happy about about getting a smear lol. So I just wanted to say a big Thankyou to everyone for your support and for telling me to keep up the badgering and moaning as it paid off in the end xxxx

Last edited:
Back