Smear Test

That's fab news!! Good on ya for not backing down!!

xxx

thanks toots and thanks for telling me to keep on at them xxx

Well done hun, I have been thinking about asking my GP for one - I'm nearly 24 and am quite worried about this since a local girl almost died from Cervical Cancer aged 22!

xx

Hi wannabeslim I would definatly see about getting one done just for your own peace of mind. Sadly the message of how important a cervical smear is doesn't seem to have been as highly publicised as it should of been until the high profile case of JG but apparently cervical cancer is one of the biggest killers of women under 35 whitch is so worrying. When I was at school and you had the "special talks" they discussed periods with us/sex and how to be safe/std's and sti's/ and the importance of regulary checking your breasts and yet they never mentioned cervial smears or why they were important and from what I have learnt from talking to other female friends is how oblivious we were to the importance of being checked all we really knew were bits and pieces handed down by older female relatives. I really think they need to do more to educate girls from a young age about this issue because they way they have been treating it makes it feel like some sort of taboo or embaressing issue whitch is not at all the case I don't feel at all weird about discussing it and yet even when I talked to some nurses about it suddenly they used hushed voices and huddled around to talk very strange indeed. I didn't realise we were still living in the 50's xxx

Glad your getting your smear test just goes to show what a little perseverance can get you tho its bad that you had to fight for it in first place! Im sure in Scotland there is no minimum age for smears don't quote me on it tho just im sure i heard some doctor on tv saying that the law is different in Scotland for smears.

Last edited:
Well done Emmie on your perseverance.:) Seeing as a risk factor is how early a girl starts to have sex and the number of partners she has you would think there would be no under 25 rule, as I said before it must be a money issue.

What do yous think of this vaccine? I am unsure but if I had a daughter I'd let her have it, I think it's available in NI, must google to find out.

Thank for all the surpport everyone and to answer Lyn's question If I had a daughter I think I would want her to have the vaccine essentially It would be her choice. But If I was at the age where I could have the vaccine I would have had it. However even though I would encourage my daughter to have the vaccine I would also make sure she understood the importance of still having regular smear tests as soon as she becomes sexually active and that the vaccine is not a 100% solution plus the pav virus is not the only cause of cervical cancer. And to answer Petal yes in Scotland and Wales the call up age for a smear is still 20/21 it is sadly only England that has made the poor choice to raise the age. xxxx

Uber bad news people :mad: my appointment was today so I left uni early had my dad leave work to rush me across birmingham only to be told by a snooty nurse that they were not going to give me the test after all as I am under 25 grrrr! I explained what had happened last time and she just smiled and said they would not make any exception for me. So I asked why had the receptionist who booked my appointment had not asked my age? and again she smiled and said they usually don't ask So I just said "well if age is soooo important you think they would ask so that I didn't have to waste my time" and walked out. My poor dad was disgusted as well especially after discovering the day before that his best friends daughter was in hospital having a hysterectomy due to cervical cancer and he has offered to pay £100 for me to get tested privatly bless him. Sorry about the super long rant guys but I just had to vent love you all xxx

Uber bad news people :mad: my appointment was today so I left uni early had my dad leave work to rush me across birmingham only to be told by a snooty nurse that they were not going to give me the test after all as I am under 25 grrrr! I explained what had happened last time and she just smiled and said they would not make any exception for me. So I asked why had the receptionist who booked my appointment had not asked my age? and again she smiled and said they usually don't ask So I just said "well if age is soooo important you think they would ask so that I didn't have to waste my time" and walked out. My poor dad was disgusted as well especially after discovering the day before that his best friends daughter was in hospital having a hysterectomy due to cervical cancer and he has offered to pay £100 for me to get tested privatly bless him. Sorry about the super long rant guys but I just had to vent love you all xxx

Hi Emmie,

Unbelievable really that you must be over 25 to get it done free in light of what we all know now thanks to Jade.

I know it must of been very disappointing to you, just seems so unfair to be treated like this.

You are blessed that you have such a lovely Dad who is paying the bill for you.

Love Mini xxx

Thanks hun 'unbelievable' sums up the whole situation exactly. And my dad is great he's my best friend bless him I will have to get him a little prezzie to say thankyou

Shocking!! :eek: I would report them to the GMC - might not get me anywhere but I'd sure as eggs vent my spleen!!! The NHS rules and regs drive me INSANE !!

How lovely of your dad, though!!! Not just the offering to pay but the support he is giving.

xxx

I might report them actually as I missed class time and inconvienced myself all because someone didn't ask me age If I had the money I would go completly private and give the NHS the finger lol. Dad is a legend and very surpportive I'm an only child and since we lost mom he's had to deal with me hysterically crying because of boyfriend break ups lol and even done a emergancy midnight trips the the supermarket for tampons and had to take a photo of the box on his phone to show the assistant to make sure he got the right ones lol I bet he wishes he had a son now lol xxx

Back