Some input from you all :)

Should we be allowed to talk about food in the CD 100% forum

• Yes, We should be able to talk about it as long as we are follwing the diet 100%

Votes: 45 61.6%
  • No, all mention of food is to be banned from the 100% forum

Votes: 28 38.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The voting is open for another few days, so all we can say is register your vote because this is your subforum, created at your request, and we just want to run it the way you want it run (within reason of course :rolleyes: )

and mainly, why on earth should a diet support forum have a part of it where you can't talk about food?? when quite obviously we all need help on coping with it. ignoring it does not make it simply go away!!

Because for some who are SSing talking about food can be a trigger for them.

You are very lucky if this is not the case.

But it is very obvious for some it is not.

Food is an addiction for many who have become obese and SSing has been proven it can and does work to break the connection with food and enable the dieter to stay on their diet and lose weight...talking about food creates a visual that can trigger cravings, especially in new dieters who are feeling very vulnerable and anxious.

The full programme is there to wean people back on food again if they follow it and by the time most people have lost a few stone they once again become more confidant both in themselves and feeling ready to reintroduce food back into their lives.

This poll is to clarify what the 100% forum should be for.

We are greatly for all contributions and opinions.

Thank you :thankyou:

Love Mini xxx

i need to be able to accept that other people eat, be around people that are.

The whole of your day though? Nowhere to ever get away from it, except when you were asleep? The idea would be that there was just one place on here that someone could get away from food when or if they needed, without fear of being triggered.

We're not talking about an SS refusing to cook for the family, having to take prozac to walk past mcdonalds etc.

and i also need to be able to talk about an achievement when i have resisted a trigger food,
You would still be able to do that. You could say you've resisted a trigger food, and how you resisted it etc. But maybe not "I went into cafe and the donuts smelt soooo lush OMG all that goey chocolate. But i resisted. Now...that sort of thing some people might consider a trigger.
we are creating a rather dangerous environment of complete denial and will have problems when moving up the plans.
Do you think so? Do you think that not mentioning food for a few minutes a day will cause major issues?

and mainly, why on earth should a diet support forum have a part of it where you can't talk about food??
Because we are talking Cambridge SS here :D A diet where there is no food :D

So, to clarify again. We aren't talking about not getting support, just not mentioning the name of the food that tempted. It's that same thing.....Don't think of an elephant. Sit back here and promise you wont think about an elephant. You're not thinking about it are you. That big grey elephant with the big ears. Stop for a moment, and make sure you don't think of that elephant.

Get my point?

Anyway...keep thoughts coming folks :)

then i'll sit back and shut up.

abz xx

No need to hun. Just want to be sure that we're all reading from the same page and there's no misunderstandings. Really appreciate your thoughts!

then i'll sit back and shut up.

abz xx

Sorry you have taken the response to your very good posts like this as your post have raised some very interesting points that help us to expand upon.

The whole point of this poll is to get feed back and to build a picture of what is wanted and needed in the 100% forum.

We are considering the possibility of having a private forum exclusively for those who definitely do not want to talk about food as we think that might be the way to solve the problem.

Love Mini xxx

on some of the above points i feel that cd does take me away from food. of course it does. and smelling and reading about food does trigger cravings in me. but that's what i need to learn to control. and i understand that some people may not be able to do that. as for talking about gooey donuts etc, that wasn't my intention. but i would like to be able to say 'was at my mates house last night and it was absolute hell. there was pizza everywhere' for example.

and i really do feel, as previously said, that making food a taboo subject anywhere creates a dangerous mindset.

as for doing a diet that has no food, that's true. and exactly the reason why we need to be able to discuss it. the fact that ssing involves no food at all can be the difficulty with a lot of people. their highs and lows can revolve around food and what they haven't been able to eat, i know mine can, and not being able to be frank about the fact that you have struggled in a certain situation, specifically because there is no food in this diet, would be difficult for me.

i apologise if i'm being abrubt. i am hormonal, grumpy and not quite into the middle of a 10-hour sunday shift so i'm not too chirpy right now :)

abz xx

and i really do feel, as previously said, that making food a taboo subject anywhere creates a dangerous mindset.

I think that if that was the case for the whole of their life, but to have just ONE place where food isn't talked about? That seems a bit extreme - JMHO

The whole point of this poll is to get feed back and to build a picture of what is wanted and needed in the 100% forum.

I don't think this can be emphasised enough - this is not admin saying 'Thou Shalt Not Talk About Food - this is us ASKING you if that's what you want in this subforum.

We are considering the possibility of having a private forum exclusively for those who definitely do not want to talk about food as we think that might be the way to solve the problem.

Love Mini xxx

Absolutely - so people who wanted somewhere away from food would sign up to this subforum where the rules were clearly defined and agreed to. :clap:

Now can someone please tell me how to stop thinking about KD's ruddy elephant?!! :eek: :eek: :rotflmao:

Easy. You don't think about giraffes:p

yes, naughty KD
ashamed.gif

Personally, I'm thinking about 2 items of food that have been mentioned here :D

I think that if that was the case for the whole of their life, but to have just ONE place where food isn't talked about? That seems a bit extreme - JMHO

Excluding it completely seems to me even more extreme. And food is everywhere, it will always be everywhere. That's the problem about comparing overeating to an addiction - with other addictions, you go cold turkey for the rest of your life. And you can't do that with food. On this diet you are not physically hungry, so any temptations you feel are psychological and you simply shouldn't run away from that.

Knowing other people are tempted and that they're tempted by the same sort of things is a big support. And yes, I can find that in the main VLCD forums. But all too often the message there is 'I was so tempted...so I gave in. But I still lost!! And I'm still in ketosis!" I really want a place where I can say "I was so tempted by that crusty bread but I didn't given in. Because when I'm at goal I can have crusty bread in moderate amounts - just not crusty bread + everything else in the kitchen because I feel I need/want/deserve it"

Looooonng post, sorry.

I guess the people who don't want food mentioned are the ones like me who read that and instantly pictured the crusty bread, and started to want some....

...do you see what I mean? I do take your point, and understand what you're saying - it's just that maybe it would be nice to have just ONE place where you know no food is ever going to be mentioned.

i picture crusty bread and desperately want some. but i can resist, which makes it easier to resist when somebody walks past me with it. i just want to be able to post in a place where nobody talks about cheating, where we all know what we are following and doing but can support each other with our problem. which is food. i am totally and utterly addicted. totally and utterly, and i struggle like hell and i resist. and i want to be able to post around people in a similar situation as there aren't many situations that are similar!!

i picture crusty bread and desperately want some. but i can resist, which makes it easier to resist when somebody walks past me with it.

But this is the point we're making - YOU can resist but someone else might not be able to. So they choose, where possible, to put themselves somewhere where they are not going to have to face those temptations. Maybe it's their ten minutes of free time in between looking after the kids, housework, etc

Let me reiterate, we're going to go with the majority, and if it's popular enough we may create just such a place for those people. But before we take that step we wanted/needed to clarify what people wanted from the 100% forum.

and i want to be able to post around people in a similar situation as there aren't many situations that are similar!!

Absolutely. But maybe there are people who want to be able to post where NO food is mentioned. We want to cater for them too is all we're saying.

I see what you're saying too. I guess the sub-sub-forum CLEARLY entitled "No food mentions welcome" would be the answer then...? and the rest of us can avoid.
I think its a slippery slope along the path to overkill though - how long before someone can't say "ooh I'm really looking forward to my first choc frozen tetra in a few hours" (which I am) because that might tempt/upset someone who has finished all their packs for the day/doesn't have any choc tetras? Seems ridiculous but there you go.

When I mention crusty bread I picture it too. I'm not going to have any and I could easily easily get some. I don't know your history, but I suspect you're strong enough not to have some too. I think about other things that I'm not going to do all the time also. I'd list them but some of them are arrestable offences :)

Guess we'll just have to wait to see the results of the poll.
I hope no-one is offended by contents of my posts - I do tend to have quite strong opinions but I respect others who have them as well, honest. Mxxxxx

Back