Someone noticed!

I'm trying different places to be honest as it's so long since I have shopped anywhere other than in the plus ranges that I have no idea where to shop and how the sizing works between different brands. Next appeals to me, I like some of the New Look things although I'm not sure they are necessarily clothes that will last very long, I'm trying out Tesco, and am also looking at Debenhams. There are stacks of shops I haven't tried yet!

I'm thinking that I should be in a size 14 when I'm at goal. My F cup boobs and big hips aren't going anywhere near a 12 at my goal weight! I'm sort of in a size 16 - 18 at the moment depending on the make. My first lot of clothing turned up today and I ordered everything in a size 16 thinking that it would be snug fit. Mistake number 1. I should have gone for a 14 as everything fits now, and the whole idea was to buy snug things that I would need to lose another half stone or so to fit properly so that I could assess my progress in the next month. So I now have several things that I quite like but it seems a bit indulgent to keep them as I will be out of that size (I hope!) fairly soon. So other than things like socks, a nice scarf and some new fleecy PJs that I wouldn't want tight anyway I think everything may have to go back (bar maybe 2 tops that I really like and don't want to send them back!). That said I haven't tried the 2 pairs of trousers yet and I think they might be a bit tighter on me. Stomach feels bloated due to TOTM so I didn't fancy trying the trousers for a couple of days.

So this was the order that contained 3 dresses to see how they looked. I don't know what it is about me and dresses but I might just have been wearing a sack. Dresses look really stylish on some people but not on me unfortunately. My stomach always looks like a bloated football in them in the way that it doesn't when I'm wearing trousers and a top. Not sure why that is at all. So not surprisingly they are definitely going back and I think I'm destined never to wear a dress! Lol.

More clothing due in the next couple of days I hope :)

I'm the same with dresses Borders, though I do like skirts and might venture into these come the summer - whoo hoo. We had a 'no trousers' ban on women at work for quite a few years here, so I made it a point to wear nothing but trousers once it was lifted. The smaller me is going to make some changes on that policy - pretty summer skirts, here we come!!

:-D after seeing you in trousers for 10 years Giza, I can't wait to see you in a skirt :-D

As I'm sitting in Cafe Nero in Pimlico London to get on line, i started laughing out loud. I'm dressed in a Ulle Popken long jacket a trews in bright purple from several years ago. it looks like silk. I'm a normlly proportioned 5ft 6 inch sorta gal, Giza, no gorilla arms! Ullle Popken sizes up smaller than Ann Harvey my other work staple. This is size 26 and the legs of the trews are slightly loose - still well fitting at the waist and tummy. The fabric is strech and feel really comfortable. The jacket had got rather porky - but now fits brilliantly. Better than when I bought it a few years ago.

My friend recommends that we all try some peronal shopping at a department store when we are at goal, cos they'll bring clothes you might never have tried on.

By the time I get to 20, I will have no clothes so will look at Brandalley and ebay factory outlet for some. Maybe Marisota and Isme too. When I get to 16 ish, I may try some of those re-sale shops, which have 2nd hand clothes as I intend to be stylish all the way to goal!

I appreciate this on-line support - and clothes discussion! Thank you, All.

Ali

I've got plans for some expensive classic pieces for when I'm at goal (and actually I have some from before too) but for now I'm shopping in sales and less expensive places as I'm in transient sizes. I don't care if they don't last because I don't intend to fit in them for long and it gives me the opportunity to try out some alternative, new to me styles without them being expensive mistakes. I wore my staples to work today - black trousers and a blouse. The blouse was fitted and quite snug fitting (much more so than the tunic style I wore pre diet) and I felt really quite slim in it. Dressed it up with some jewellery and I felt really stylish. I'm really looking forward to getting another stone off to see how much slimmer I feel then :)

Shows how much the sizes vary between makes though. A spring mac turned up today, size 16 and I can't even get it round me to do up. Other size 16s I have tried on have been like tents!

:-D after seeing you in trousers for 10 years Giza, I can't wait to see you in a skirt :-D

Haha! Even I can't imagine it, but I think it might be outside of work hours CK :D! I LOVE Laura Ashley floaty numbers and I really like that you can get the longer length skirts here! I know as my mum always comments on how we get longer skirt lengths in M &S here! My ma's spiritual home (not Q8, M&S!)!

I've been scouting some dress agency/smart second hand places in London. The ones in really smart neighbourhoods have some great clothes. So I think I'll join you, BG, when I'm at goal, getting some classic stuff in those. It's a bit random as it depends onw hat people have brought in to sell.

I'll get some really tight trews, maybe some shorter skirts and trendy casual tops/jackets too. Wonder if I'll need new shoes too? It'll have to be on a budget....so summer sales will be useful.

I have decided I wont have so many clothes - fewer clothes and I'll wear them more regularly.

Weigh In tomrrow ....fingers crossed.

Ali

As I'm sitting in Cafe Nero in Pimlico London to get on line, i started laughing out loud. I'm dressed in a Ulle Popken long jacket a trews in bright purple from several years ago. it looks like silk. I'm a normlly proportioned 5ft 6 inch sorta gal, Giza, no gorilla arms! Ullle Popken sizes up smaller than Ann Harvey my other work staple. This is size 26 and the legs of the trews are slightly loose - still well fitting at the waist and tummy. The fabric is strech and feel really comfortable. The jacket had got rather porky - but now fits brilliantly. Better than when I bought it a few years ago.

My friend recommends that we all try some peronal shopping at a department store when we are at goal, cos they'll bring clothes you might never have tried on.

By the time I get to 20, I will have no clothes so will look at Brandalley and ebay factory outlet for some. Maybe Marisota and Isme too. When I get to 16 ish, I may try some of those re-sale shops, which have 2nd hand clothes as I intend to be stylish all the way to goal!

I appreciate this on-line support - and clothes discussion! Thank you, All.

Ali

Took me a few days to find your post Ali, but glad I did. Thanks for those recommendations! I LOVE Ulla but I do have to roll up sleeves a lot! Maybe it's my arms...will ask CK to check em out tomorrow! Too funny. I love your idea of the personal shopper. Might try that when home next. People here will tell you that you look bl**dy outstanding here, when really you look demented and deffo wearing two sizes too small-it's the only explanation I can come up with for large ladies wearing small clothes!!!!

Love the idea of a personal shopper. Around 8 years ago after the birth of my youngest I was very ill and dropped a massive 7 stone in the space of 12 weeks ( didnt know how ill i was at time) and I shopped like a fat person, black clothes, no skirts, defo no dresses and things that hid the roles of "fat" that I had in my 18 stone frame even tho I was only 11 stone. I would love when I get to goal to be given things to try on that I wouldnt dream of picking up off the clothing rail. Thanks Ali for a fabulous idea.

Oh you'll definitely need new shoes Ali, you'll probably take a least half a size smaller when you're done. I started at size 6 and now I'm a 5 - 5.5. Probably be a size 5 in everything when I'm done.

new shoes too.....ooh yes, please!

I have gone into lace ups as my feet hurt in most of my shoes. Maybe at first I'll shop my shoe boxes ....mmmm lots of LK Bennetts from my high flying days. In fact I'll try some on for the Silver Wedding party tomorrow.

Ali

I have also lost lots on my hands and feet but it didn't change my foot size (still a 6) but I no longer have wide feet. So some of my shoes fit more comfortably and others have had to go... Making room for new ones - such as knee length boots which now fit not only over my calves (!) but now also over my jeans - woohoo!

I've lost a shoe size and 3 ring sizes and I'm a little more than half way... Can't wear my wedding ring anymore :(

But :) it means I'm getting
Closer to my goal

I've lost a shoe size and 3 ring sizes and I'm a little more than half way... Can't wear my wedding ring anymore :(

But :) it means I'm getting
Closer to my goal

Katie, it also means 'imself has to get you a new ring... one that fits! Whoo hoo!

Haha this was my third wedding ring he got clever this time and bought me one I can alter!! Thing is need to go to turkey to do it ;)

Just ordered myself a nice set of fake diamond (real looking) rings ;)

So back to the original post.... of someone noticing I had lost weight. Today my boss came in from work, I was sitting on the floor with the baby and the first thing she said was 'new jeans?' (In my size 16s again for the first time in two years!) she says her sister had noticed I'd lost too, but didn't want to say anything!

TBH I do get a bit funny when people notice. I've spent most of my adult life morbidly obese so compliments have been few and far between! I don't know how to take them. And that opens the other issue.... if someone says you've lost weight, is it a compliment? In today's society slim is in so I suppose it is meant as one. But to someone underweight trying to gain, it would be an insult! Funny hopw it goes....

Oh it's definitely meant as a compliment moosh. I was sent an email today by someone at work who saw me in passing today (I don't think I've seen her for a few months) and she said how fantastic I was looking :). Makes me feel like it's all worth it but I don't want to get complacent because it would be easy to tell myself that I'd done enough and I just haven't yet.

This reminds me about something I'd forgotten....in the past people used to say to me 'you've lost weight', when I knew I had put on. I think they knew I was fat, but in person I have much more energy and dynamism so they'd think I'd lost weight.

But it's also interesting....have people who have seen me after a few years been shocked at how fat I got? Or is fat, fat therefore gradations of obesity from say size 22 to 26 not noticed?

Ali

It's also important to be able to accept the compliments. I just say 'thanks' now rather than telling them how much more I have left to lose!

Back