Sophie's Slimming World and Cinema critiques!

Well done Tetris, you sound really focused!:)

Thanks :D guiltily shovelling those mentos down my throat dont count then? ;)

Oh yeah, proper cat bites always have to be treated with antibiotics. And because I have a dodgy heart I have to be super careful with stuff like that. Oddly enough I'm rather terrified of angry cats now :rolleyes:
Awww your cat being a bridge sounds so cute :D I love when animals do strange things. My two hounds have such different personalities and always doing random things - esp Dave! Little horror bag that he is.

I'm the same height as my Mum at 5ft5. My Dad was barely 6ft, so I've no idea why Rachelle is a giant :p One of our cousins on my Mum's side is incredibly tall too, so it must run in the family somewhere.

Never mind about eating at your Dad's. I bet you would have had way more calories/syns if you'd had pancakes instead. try not to worry too much. You've done loadsa exercise and you said you'd been low syn anyways. It'll be fine :D

And poor Gerard, keeping him awake with your exercising lol.

I'm going to see I Give It A Year in a bit. I do occasionally love a bit of romantic comedy, but usually stuff like Jason Segal's film. Kinda tragic romantic comedy haha.x

Thanks :D guiltily shovelling those mentos down my throat dont count then? ;)

Focused apart from the Mentos addiction then :D

Ohh dear. Am feeling a bit **** this morning!

Food diary:

_____

Breakfast was same old FF yog and fruit.

I was starving by the evening as I hadn't had a proper lunch (snacked throughout the day on two bananas, a mullerlight, a frube (2 syns) some cherries and some cold homemade soup I'd brought with me) so was grateful that there was a Nandos near the cinema when I was hungry!
Had a 1/4 chicken and took the skin off (free) (literally free, actually- used my stamp card as the new ones cheekily ALREADY expire at the end of the month! I think the 26th!) and had it with spicy rice (2.5 syns and a swift change to EE as Red was clearly out of the window again!) which meant the whole meal came to £2 something :p had finished my soup just before getting to Nandos so count that as my superfree. I still wasn't really full after that though :/ I could have eaten a whole chicken probably! :p

We had some time to waste before going to the cinema so stayed in Nandos. I was stillll hungry. I told my friend I was debating popping to sainsbury's to get some bits to nosh on in the cinema when she brought out a packet of sweets :| uhoh. So yeah. I polished a good quarter of the bag off! :( they were maoam mix balls or something, no idea how many syns but there was this moment where I wasn't going to bother and wasn't tempted by them... Then she said "Just try one, they're so nice!" and they really didn't look nice! But I was hungry and stupid, so I tried one and ate like 20 :'( idiot! Obviously it didn't cure my hunger either. She also INSISTED I take the rest of the pack home fklejlkjhgjklfh so I'll have to give them to Gerard (he'll love them, haha) but MUST remember to take them out of my bag or horrible things could happen later!

At the cinema I had my Special K chewy delight.

No idea how many syns those sweets were but had only had 4.5 other ones in the day so doubt they could have been over 10 syns? I hope not!! Again, I won't be counting any freed up syns for today as part of my weekly syns :/
______

We saw 'I give it a year' which was pretty bizarre really- it made me think all sorts about my current relationship, as it's very much an anti-marriage kind of film about two love birds who shack up after 7 months and then deeply regret it but try to stick it out. They kept going on about how little things about one another piss them off and I was thinking- oh dear, that's me already! Which made me feel pretty guilty. It had plenty of laugh out loud moments but it did all seem a bit forced- a couple of sub-characters in particular really got on my nerves- particularly the brother who just seemed to spend his whole screen time spilling out the most awkward conversation ever, it was almost slapstic and I didn't like HIM as an actor/character, but some of the lines were quite good! I'd probably give it a 6/10, it was definitely watchable but the script felt quite OTT and yet they were trying to make it more down to earth in the way it was directed, so that kinda clashed in my eyes. No regrets seeing it but I wouldn't see it again (though OMG the lead actress MUST be annorexic :| I've seen her in plenty of things and she's never been so skinny! You could see her ribcage through her back in one shot! Though she is REALLY pretty and obvs I envy her :p but she looked REALLY fragile...) and I DID laugh my way through a lot of it, but my friend looked pretty bored.

I got home at around 11.30pm and Gerard was already asleep. We'd had a late night messing around and had been up until 3am, then woken by the builders working on our next door neighbour (attached)'s roof at 9.30am... arghh. Anyway, I got home and went straight to bed with him but was tossing and turning until 3am again. I should have taken sleeping pills as I've been sleeping ***** for a couple of weeks now but part of me just thinks if I stick it out I'll fall asleep, stubborn!
So then the cat woke us up with his cute (not so cute after 5 hours sleep!) bridging thing and meowing like mad. Gerard got up as he'd been asleep since 10pm and went to feed the cat. I couldn't get back to sleep :/ so I went downstairs 20 minutes later to find Gerard not here! That NEVER happens, he never just spontaneously leaves the house! He doesn't have friends so he is literally always at home unless he goes to the cinema on his own or to see his parents who live an hour's drive away. So it must mean he's gone out to get me something Valentines related :p which is cute. He's been gone an hour though!

I did sort of remind him quite aggressively that things have changed since last year! Last year I'd only been dating him for 4 months or something and I'm a present-a-phobe so didn't want him to get me anything (presents embarrass me) but he did so well over xmas :p (cookery book I wanted, huge bottle of my favourite perfume, this beautiful heart shaped stone thing he'd seen me admiring in a store, etc) that I told him I was turning the Valentines switch on and wanted spoiling :p LOL. Obviously the pressure is on as nothing would get him in the car at 8am otherwise! He's probably spent most of that time trying to park outside again as it's a horrible place to park on the main road :p
I still didn't make him pancakes so will be making SW banoffee ones later for him I think. I've always hated Valentines day so don't exactly have high hopes as we have nothing planned, but I might drag him to see Moulin Rouge at the cinema as it's a fave of mine and on especially for Valentines!

Anyway, I feel **** this morning because I've put SO much effort in to the plan this week, a couple of sweetie slip ups but a lot of exercise, attempting Red days, etc- and I've GAINED a pound! I had a sly weigh in on Monday and had lost two, meaning I'd lost the * week pound and one extra, but now I've gained it again! So I've LITERALLY lost 1 pound in two weeks, which when you're as heavy as me and new to SW as me- SUCKS!!!
I can't believe it :( I was really thinking I'd lose LOADS to make up for * week where I'd still put a lot of effort into the plan. The prior weeks I'd lost 4 pounds and 5 pounds for a month and wanted to be about 10 pounds lighter by now because of all the exercise! flghldkjfhkdh!!! :cry:

Oh well. I'm not going to give myself an excuse to have a valentines day binge, but I'm not sold on these friggin red and green days which I've been trying so hard to do recently! I worked off around 4000 calories last week AND was on plan, so why oh why did I get a plus 1? :(

Ok, so we diiid have a little Valentines treat :p SW pancakes with light whipped cream, strawbwrries and mini marshmallows melted on top :D bf had about 8 and Inhad 1.5 (5 syns each with the toppings) so we got shrove tuesday just a little late ;)
He came back from being out with two bouquets of roses and flowers :p he'd been searchibg for an hour for sun flowers (my fave) but couldnt find them so bought me two bunches- bless! ^^

64823_10152510973375618_1827283581_n.jpg

Here's the pancake! Added pink food colouring because of Valentines day, hehe! Think it was a cute touch.
Followed this recipe: http://www.slimmingworld.com/recipes/banoffee-pancakes.aspx but without the muller (just extra FF fromage frais) and made a chocolate sauce for the boyfriend with about ten cubes of dairy milk and a splash of semi skimmed heated in a bowl over boiling water.
Melted mini marshmallows after it was (very carefully) flipped over so they melted- sooo nice! They were quite fragile and moist but still REALLY nice considering how little flour was in them and 0 butter! 4 syns each + 1 syn for mini marshmallows and light whipped cream.
This has made me feel better :p x

Awww how sweet of Gerard! Even if you did have to :asskick: The pancakes look lovely too!

Don't feel too bad about your gain. When I first started out I weighed well over 15st and would often have weeks were I wouldn't lose or even gain, and then every now and then I'd get a big loss in a week. I was really disheartened coz I expected the big losses everyone else was getting week in week out. To be honest I would have loved a steady 1 or 2lb loss every week, but it never happened! My losses have always been hit and miss, it's very odd. Some people blame it on me doing mostly green days. But even when I've dabbled with Extra Easy weeks and tons of exercise nothing happened lol. Tis just the way I am I guess. BUT it did come off, albeit very slowly, and still is. Don't feel too down, you'll keep losing :D

I found I Give It a Year a bit odd too. I don't like that actor who was his brother at all either, I just wanted to punch him in the face ;) I think some of his lines were excellent, but I just don't like him at all!! I thought Ann Farris was an odd choice too, but she's ok. I did enjoy it though and it did have some brilliantly funny moments.
Rose Byrne has gotten incredibly thin hasn't she? I'm totally in love with her tho, a proper girly crush lol!! But even thinner than when she was in Bridesmaids!

Hope you're day picks up.xx

Yeah, she's really stunning! In Xmen and Get Him To The Greek she seemed healthy and stunning but she was waifer thin in this one! Her face looked gaunt... But I loved her hair cut :D suited her short.
Yeah, the bro and the guy making them tick boxes about life support were both too much. I didnt like the lead male character either but I liked the girls!

Thanks for the pep talk! I guess I was so excited to lose a stone in a month that I didnt expect it to suddenly go the other way when putting more effort in! Sigh... Have been having so much soup!
Think I'll give up on the red week and just do one every now and again. Green seems as easy as EE but red takes more effort and makes things a bit challenging!

Tetris my weight loss is also erratic, I usually exercise lots but that doesn't seem to guarantee a weight loss for me. I was 17 st 5 lbs when I started but lost only 3 pounds on week 1. I think people vary a lot. Some folks who've got to target have said how easy they find SW to do at my group. I have to say I don't always find it that easy. What I find a big bonus about it as an eating plan is that nothing is banned. Keep going - you're doing really well. Also, keep posting, I enjoy your film verdicts!

Thanks, Wii! My first two weeks I lost 4 pounds collectively :confused: was a bit disheartened by that but over christmas lost another 2 pounds somehow and then it really picked up in Jan as I got using my Hex's and sins better, but now *sigh* I was hoping it would stay fast for a bit longer at least! 1/2 a pound a week is pretty sucky at my weight! But I do wonder if it could *possibly* still be retained period water weight. I've read that some people hold onto it for two or even three weeks... And with polycystic ovaries, my body is a bit weird about * week/month (sometimes it NEVER ends...!) so maybe I can keep my fingers crossed for a good loss next week... Either way, I'll keep at it :) I've been watching Biggest Loser and if they exercise their t*ts off and lose weight, so can I!
Though I've been feeling a bit meh about getting the wii going today, did 15 minutes but couldn't get into it.

Food diary so far-
B: Yog, fruit, SW pancakes (7.5)

L: Spaghetti with part of Hex A of cheddar (20g) 1.5 chicken frankfurters (2.5 each = 4 syns), a carrot, mange tout and asparagus and bacon (fat removed)

Snacks: loooads of lychees and cherries!

Have been feeling really hungry this past couple of days :/ haven't stopped snacking on fruit today and drinking loads of SF squash but it doesn't seem to be curing the hunger!

x

Ah, came down with a rotten cold yesterday afternoon (so maybe I can blame the morning's 1lb gain on fluid retention for that? Desperate to find an excuse since I stuck to plan AND exercised!) which this morning feels really groggy and stuffed up. I'm still feeling really hungry so started the day with a filling breakfast of potato latke with scrambled eggs (a whole onion in it as SF and HexB of olive oil)

Last night we had a late dinner of SW Jamaican style jerk chicken drumsticks, a recipe from the calendar that came with the SW mag I got when I joined. It was nice :) first time I've cooked chicken on bone before. Was a bit worried because even though the expiry date was for the next day, it smelt really bad (had been out of the fridge for a few hours when bought) but once I'd taken the skin off (most horrible thing I've ever done prep wise for food, eurgh!) the smell seemed to be much stronger on the skin, so decided to just cook it anyway. Only marinaded it for 1.5 hours instead of overnight but it was still really nice, moist and tasty. Am not feeling any stomach problems today so believe it wasn't dodgy after all. Have thrown away chicken a few times because of that smell, but I read that usually the worst it does is give a bad flavour to the chicken? Anyway, the cat was eating it and my mum's old method to check was 'cats don't eat gone off food' but internet says that's bull apparently! ;)

I managed 15 mins of Exerbeat last night (did 15 in the morning too) though think I've been playing the boxercising to death as it's getting a bit repetitive now. Might have to try out EA Sports Active soon to mix things up a bit.

My friend is coming over who notoriously is my 'get wasted and eat junk food' friend, so hopefully will find the energy to do a shop before she gets here so that there are lots of syn free nibbles around, as we're low on stock at the moment! Am going to try and make SW doritos- lasagne strips cut into triangles after boiling and then put under the grill until they crisp up! Sounds like it might be great! Will try to knock up a dip for them too (my SW houmus attempts haven't been great so far)

x Sophie

Had a bad day food wise yesterday and went over my syns a bit :/ trouble is, tonight will be the same!

Last night I had about 20 syns (could be worse!) but tonight the booze will be flowing, so I'll be eating soup all day and all of tomorrow to make up for it!

I just made SW free Doritos :D they were really nice actually! I kinda had low hopes for them but they filled the craving, I'll be taking them to the movie night I'm off to tonight to tempt me away from the pizza and crisps that are being passed around.

They're made by boiling lasagne sheets in hot water for however long the pasta needs to cook (left mine about 10 mins) then drain and on a chopping board slice in half and then diagonally into triangles. Season with salt and pepper (and I put some thai 7 spice on them too, you can get creative here!) then place on a fry light sprayed baking tray, spray the tops of them with fry light and pop them in the oven until they start to brown at the edges. They are really nice while warm and still chewy!

Screen Shot 2013-02-16 at 14.55.32.png

To accompany I made a quark and ff fromage frais based dip, seasoned with garlic granules, a splash of lime juice, a tiny bit of mustard (quarter tsp) and some chives- not bad either!
I'll definitely be experimenting more with these chips and season them a bit more as I was scared to over season, but adding flavours to them was yum :D

Didn't make the doritos again as I ran out of time, but didn't have many syns! Decided not to drink, which I am glad about now :) it wasn't worth it. I ate a few haribo (about 8 = 4 syns) and a couple of chocolate wispa bites (2 syns) and nibbled the toppings off a couple a slice of pizza (ham and cheese, will give it 1 syn- didn't fully have my Hex A earlier so will just count 1 syn for the oil) so that brings me to just 7 syns for the day!

Breakfast: Yog + fruit

Lunch: SW lasagne doritos (free) with quark/yog dip, home made veg soup (onions, peppers, passata, carrots)

Dinner: home made veg soup, rivita, Hexa cheese (25g slice) some bits of chicken put into the soup, 2 scrambled eggs on the side for extra protein after exercise.

Snacks: mullerlights, the haribo/wispa bites mentioned above.

Really proud of myself because not only did I hold back on the nibbles and avoid 100 syns worth of vodka, but I also managed a 60 minute work out today to make up for yesterday's lack of! That keeps me on track, meaning I'm nearly 2 weeks into my '30 min a day' challenge without missing anything! I did a 30 minute boxing exercise on exerbeat, followed by a 10 minute, 4 minute and 3 minute hip-hop dance one, and a bunch of short yoga/pilates exercises. :D I've been watching 'biggest loser' and 'I used to be fat' to motivate my exercise.

On the game it says that the boxing ones burn the most calories, but the Hip-hop ones get me out of breath and sweating most yet have a lower calorie burn number- do you think maybe it's incorrect? I mean, I know it's not going to be exact anyway, but I really do feel like I'm getting more of a work out from the dancing ones- they make my muscles ache and my forehead drip with sweat!
Anyway, I burnt 1200 cal (obviously the yoga ones are less calories and more toning) and I'd like to start aiming to burn 2000 calories extra a couple of days a week, do some of the longer boxing exercises maybe (52 minute one burns 1400!) so I feel like I've done a proper gym like work out... Oh, I need to crack out the biggest loser game again for that sort of thing I guess! Maybe tomorrow I'll have a working out day!

x

Last edited:
Tried a new recipe again today and enjoyed it! Made Jamie Oliver's macaroni &; cauliflower cheese. Hadn't had cauliflower in ages and really enjoyed it, so will deff be having that more often! Apparently it makes a really nice mash too, mmm!

Recipe basically was: boil the pasta an cauli for around ten mins then mash the cauli a bit to break it up, keeping some of the water from boiling in the dish and mix in crem fresh (used quark and fomage frais which worked nicely). I seasoned with stock, some cinnamon (dont ask why, but it was nice and cinnamon is good for metabolism or smthing!) and worchester sauce. Mixed in Hex A x2 of cheddar.

Then put grilled bacon into food processor with herbs and a piece of bread (had no wholemeal so used white) plus some olive oil (1/2 tbspn) and whizz into the breadcrumb topping. Bang in the oven for 15 mins- delish!

A whole cauli and half a bag of pasta made a huge dish that would probably feed four, but I ate about 2/3rds of it! I put double cheese as thought my partner would have half but it ended up too big a portion and I ate it later-oops! At any rate, 3 syns for the bread for the lot, plus some of hex b for olive oil and the rest of B for bacon. 2 hex A's for cheese, plus 5 syns for more cheese if you pig out on the other quarter of it like I did :rolleyes: was so yummy though!

I think I will make it without cheese next time as I didnt really notice the cheese and while tasting it before mixing the cheese in it tasted great!

________

Green day

B: ff from frais + 2 kiwis + banana

L: cauli/macaroni cheese + spinach (hex a x2, hex b, 1.5 syns for breadcrumbs)

D: lunch leftovers (5 syns extra cheese, .5 syn for extra breadcrumbs) + a huge yog/fruit salad (basically breakfast again) with tsp honey (1 syn) and hex B special K chewy delight.

Snnack: mullerlight with blueberries, lychees.

Syns total for day: 8

Exercise: 20 mins of lifting weights while watching tv + 15 min walk to bus stop.
_______

Met my cousin at a pub today and resisyed booze again :) dont really miss it. It would be a waste of syns to drink socially without the intention of getting drunk, IMO!

My 11 year old half sister is coming over tomorrow and sleeping over and staying tues too! Will be tricky to cook SW friendly for her as she is quite picky and is used to pizza when she comes over! Last time I gave her a highlights hot choc with marshmallows and whipped cream and she went mental from the sugar rush :p

Last edited:
Here's the Cauli-Roni cheese! Recipe in post above.
Screen Shot 2013-02-17 at 22.35.54.png
Half of that huuuuge dish for 1.5 syns (plus 2 HexA + 1 HexB) on a green day! Nom!

Had a lovely day hanging out with my little sister (11), played computer games (sims3!) and watched scary movie 3, one of my all time favourite comedies. Tomorrow we are taking her to a zoo and teaching her how to use my old dslr - photography trip!

EE day today

B: fruit + yog

L: spag bol, spinach. Angel delight for pud (7 syns for half)

D: some ham slices with pickle (1 syn) and phili lightest (part hex a)

Snacks: cheese string (2.5), mini milky way like chocolate (5 syns), apple, muller light

14.5 syns! Funny as it feels like I barely ate anything today, but my sister was eating all sorts of snacks and I wanted some too!

Exercise- 1 hr on exerbeat again :D woop! Did a couple of short exercises and also a full 52 min boxing work out non stop! That meant I reached my week target on exerbeat, had done some non-exerbeat weights stuff too so actually surpassed my 30 mins a day average :D yesss.
X

Hey!
That cauliflower thing looks really nice. I'm starting to like cauli a bit after years of avoiding the anaemic broccoli ;)

And that sounds like a great couple of days with your sister. Which zoo are you going to? I'd love a DSLR!! I can never afford a decent one tho. But I love my little pocket size Lumix, it's perfect for me and very clever :)

Isn't it odd how you can have a really good day on plan and only use a couple of syns. But days when you eat some naughty bits you barely eat but pile on the syns? I love how we can do that though and still be on plan. Stops it being boring doesn't it? :)

Back