Sore muscles :(

like_a_feather

Thinking Thin!
Hiya, I'm hoping I can get a bit of advice. I am a complete novice to exercise and joined a gym last week. You have a few free sessions with a trainer and on Monday we did cardio, which was hard, but I felt fine. On wednesday we did resistance, lots of arm work using 3kg weights, and I really struggled (I haven't used my triceps or quads ever lol) and today my thighs and arms, from the elbow, to and including my shoulders are so sore! I have had a gentle 4 mile walk and it just seems worse. We did stretches at the gym, and I'm due back tomorrow for a cardio and resistance workout in one and I don't know if I should try to push through, or if I can ease it in any way. I know that there will be pain initially I just want to take the correct next step and have no idea what it is. Any help appreciated xx

Your muscles aren't use to being pushed so hard. Just keep sticking with it! Hope it went well for you today!

Sounds totally normal :) I go to lots of classes and love the gym, and when I get the aches the next day (or second day) I feel content in the fact that I worked my muscles hard :) It becomes a positive ache - as long as your instructor is keeping your form correct you can be sure it's your muscles being strained and rebuilt, not broken :)xx
Keep up the great work (btw, 3kgs on totally unworked arms is a lot for your first sessions. Form is more important than weight x)

Back