St Ives, Cornwall

Sassia

Silver Member
I've just managed to get 3 nights in a hotel in St Ives in August. I've never been before but am very excited! Can anyone recommend any places to go and must sees in the town? We are travelling by train so all got to be within walking distance of town centre where we are staying. Thank you kindly!

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

Lovely place, I am jealous!! You don't say what you are interested in , but if it is art and/or architecture then the Tate is a must. There are lots of other galleries too. Everything is within walking distance - it is not a big town. The beaches are fantastic.

And you are not far from Penzance on the train (you will probably have to change trains there to get to St Ives) and that is a very interesting town - again, it has a wonderful art gallery.

St Ives is gorgeous and lots of little alley ways and court yards to check out.

Last edited:
St Ives is my fave place in England. It's such a cute village. Little shops, lovely restaurants and beautiful beaches. Have a nice time x

St Ives is beautiful and one of my favourite places in this country.

I didn't enjoy the Tate, a bit too "way out" for my liking, not much actual art to appreciate! However, I still think it's worth a recommendation, just to see it once. The artists do change but it's too modernistic for me - a room filled with balloons. Really???

I love walking round all the side streets going into many of the 50+ art galleries. A wonderful way to pass the time.

If you like tapas, I can highly recommend the Porthmoer Beach Cafe, but be sure to book for the evening as it books up very quickly. It's a good price too.

There are a couple of lovely tea rooms along the harbour, if you are lucky enough to get a seat outside it's a fab spot for people watching. Just loiter for a while or pop into the galleries next door and you'll soon get a seat!

The Barbara Hepworth sculpture garden is good too, you can get combined entry with the Tate.

Other than that, it's wonderful just to walk along the coastal path.

We are interested in anything and everything really. I love the architecture of different places and he like a bit of sight seeing too. Funny that someone mentioned penzance as a friend last night said to take the train there for a wander around. I've never been to cornwall but always wanted to go. I've also never had any kind of holiday and thought this summer would be the one we'd be able to go away. We had a look and couldn't afford anything so this find has really cheered me up!
Thanks for recommendations. Keep them coming!

If the Tate is anything like Tate modern in London, I know what you mean! I've been there a few times and its hit and miss. Had some wonderful Dali and Picasso, but some of the way out stuff too.

St. Ives is wonderful,most of my family live within half an hour of the place and some actually live there.

It is a no go zone for traffic so great for walking the town. You do not need a list of places to visit you will be enchanted by the place just walking around and exploring.

Jaylou's recommendations are brilliant.
Also you will find that where ever you are staying will have all the leaflets for all the places of interest close by and also excursions or anywhere further away.

You can not fail to enjoy yourself.............

Thank you everyone. I am ridiculously excited now!

A place I have always wanted to visit. I would also quite fancy the drive (in a masochistic sort of way) especially the prettier (non-motorway) bits.

Steve

On train home now. We loved the place! It is gorgeous! Can't wait to go back. Porthmeor beach cafe had great food. The sea is clear and green. A shoal of fish came up to us at the shoreline and a seal was following fishing boats in the harbour.......*sigh*

Only just seen this thread but my nan was from a place called newlyn In Penzance they have the best ice cream I'n the world at Jelberts ice cream shop - if you walk down to the very end of the promenade (sea on your left) go right after the little park then first left you'll find it - mmmm! Go for the ice cream with clotted cream (as a treat!!!!!!) lol.

Also hayle beach is lovely it's really big and often quiet. If you're a walker you can walk from at Ives to hayle on a footpath partly Coastal - it's a few miles though I warn you!

Also -! Carbis bay is lovely! I hope you went there!!

Anyway - place not to visit next time - I feel flambards is a waste of money...

A good place to visit if you go past or if staying I'n north Cornwall is hidden valley discovery park - it's like the crystal maze... Cryptic clues etc if you google it you can see - could easily fill half a day! X

On train home now. We loved the place! It is gorgeous! Can't wait to go back. Porthmeor beach cafe had great food. The sea is clear and green. A shoal of fish came up to us at the shoreline and a seal was following fishing boats in the harbour.......*sigh*

So glad you had a great time.

Back