Sue Dunhym's Diary

it really won't feel like this for months. and it's not many months for you! you'll be done before the middle of summer.

but i remember feeling the same way - all that time stretching ahead in its weirdness. but then you look round and eight weeks have gone, and you think - "blimey! where did all the time go?"

I'm not very impressed with my CDC. I haven't heard from her at all since our initial consultation, despite her saing that she'd be texting encouragement etc. I emailed her yesterday to ask if I could swap some shakes for soups as she said I could swap any time and she passed me on to another CDC who was covering her while she was away. She didn't tell me she was going away! And this other consultant is a bus ride away rather than 5 mins walk. Annoying.

I am still 100% though. That's not much of a brag given it's only day 4, but I have had to deal with being ill myself and now looking after a very poorly toddler.

It's so funny - that's my favourite!

Sorry your CDC is rubbish. In the end I guess it's about service vs convenience, but it may be worth seeing online whether there's a CDC who's convenient on your work journey?

Are you feeling any better today? Less ill / less hungry?

Also - if M naps at all today - I recommend the ep of Pointless Celebrities on iplayer, if you haven't already seen it. Even anthea turner doesn't spoil it. Will cheer you up!

I am feeling slightly less hungry although I am looking forward to my spicy oriental soup in an hour.

I am wondering whether to get weighed tomorrow night when I swap my shakes for soups. It'll only be five days so perhaps I shouldn't. I'd like to see some progress but I think perhaps I'll leave it until Monday otherwise whatever the result I might be tempted to say "**** it".

I have purposely not replaced the battery in my home scales so I can't weigh myself at home, I don't know if that's a good or bad idea.

I weigh daily. One or two nasty surprised at my CDC's when I'd been blithely expecting a decent loss and didn't get one, made me realise that I need the whole picture. Up and down as it is with me, I could be weighing in on a day when it's blipping upwards and I'd never know.

Also, if it is just refusing to budge I need to prepare myself for that. Not good with bad surprises.

I'm the same - I weigh daily. I need the daily encouragement (or shock if haven't lost or gained) to keep me on track and I can't just wait a whole week. Also, given that I sometimes have a social event or something, I want to know the impact of it - helps me better manage things.

Too bad your CDC isn't very supportive. I only talk to mine at our meetings - for the rest of the time, she doesn't contact me and I get most of my support from this forum.

I bought batteries for my scales and am very glad I did - just came very close to saying "**** it" and having a massive bacon sandwich but the scales show a significant loss so I'll keep at it.

Bit concerned as I realised I'll have to weigh-in with this different CDC on Monday and her scales won't be the same as my original CDC. Frustrating.

I'm hungry! Wtf? It's Day 5, I was promised the hunger would go. But no, I am hungry. I want a bacon sandwich.

I didn't really hit keto til the evening of day five. But that is bad luck. How have you been managing with the water?

Also - food cravings, as opposed to physical hunger - take a fair bit longer to drop off. But the actual hurty, hollow hunger should go soon.

I have been thinking of starting a notebook of foods I want to eat. So that by writing them down I can remove them from occupying my brain. Currently on the list:

Bacon sandwich
Whopper
Macaroni cheese
Chicken and mushroom slice
Toast and butter
EVERYTHING.

I did that. I promised myself that by writing them down I could make sure I had them later. Didn't need to do it for long.

I had a lot of the same cravings too. Not fine foods at all - greasy, cheesy, fatty things. I wonder if it's biochemical withdrawl of some kind.

I've always loved "bad" food - not sweet things but trashy food - ginsters pasties, KFC, pot noodles. It's the sort of thing I've eaten and then hidden in the past. An actually guilty secret.

Yup. And there might be some emotional times when you find yourself in situations where you would normally indulge that, and get the resulting pleasure, but now you can't and so emotionally, you're at sea.

I found myself in tears on kings cross station a few weeks on, cos I couldn't have something from the Upper Crust. It was such a hard wired association for me: secretive opportunities for extra food when out and about. A way of treating, or pleasuring (!) myself that played hell with my emotional coping strategies when I was denied it.

God, yes, that's exactly it. I know very much the secret extra food when out and about as a treat.

I am yet to think of anything I might consider a "treat" more than having a secret brie and bacon panini from Upper Crust (for example). I'm not into clothes the way you are, so that's out. I genuinely can't think of a reward system other than food.

And I can't justify spending any money anyway because despite having just survived a round of redundancies at my work, Mr Dunhym is now at risk of redundancy at his work. And if he loses his job, we are ****ed. Bit stressful.

Mm. Could you get interested in something pampery?

So ISTR you don't like bubble baths, but could you get into doing your nails in funky colours? Just cheapy stuff from Barry M at super drug or whatever? A cheap bottle of nail polish is the same sort of price as a secret food treat, and unlike a baguette, lasts for more than one treat!

Or get misterD to give you lovely foot / body massages?

I think rewards are super important on this diet, partly because you're doing something bloody hard and do deserve them, but mostly because of the emotional connection between food and self-reward that is being cut off.

Back