Sue Dunhym's Diary

Very impressed that you remember I don't like baths but do like fancy nails! I've got some ace Barry M crackle nail polish I like very much.

Trouble is, cheap pampering doesn't get me excited and I can't afford the expensive stuff! And as for Mr D giving me a massage - har de har har. He'll poke my back for a few minutes and get bored. He's not a natural masseuse.

If I had the room I'd love to treat myself by buying little antiques.

Actually, that's quite a nice idea. I could MAKE room. I like little things and they don't have to be expensive.

heh - grinder is a bit unenthusiastic about massage too, bless him. but you have to assume not all men are...

and yes, memory like a steel trap. what?

Can anyone explain why I'm not allowed to eat/drink zero-calorie foods/drinks. Why can I not have Sprite Zero, for example? Or munch on some cucumber? I'm willing to go without, I just want to know why.

Am still 100% and very glad I weighed myself yesterday as it's given me extra motivation. Today shouldn't be too bad but tomorrow I'm meeting friends in a pub for lunch and of course I won't be eating or drinking, so that'll be hard. I think I can do it though.

I worked out that 12 weeks from when I started will be 28th May. That's not too far away. I can do it.

The zero calorie drink thing is because citric acid can take you out of ketosis. However, some soft drinks (coke zero and doctor pepper zero, along with a small number of flavoured waters) contain malic acid instead, so people do have them.

Cucumber sticks in small quantities are fine, as they're on the SS+ list (check your CWP book). All I'd say about that is that this plan worked for me where so many others failed because it was all or nothing. If you think you can stop at foods and quantities on the ss+ list and that you'll crack otherwise, then do it. For other people it's the thin end of the wedge.

Ok, the citric acid makes sense, ta.

I think I can probably do without the cucumber, I just wondered why it was a no-go. I'd probably end up eating 10 cucumbers a day so perhaps it's best not.

Glad you liked a soup. Lots of people quickly settle on a small number of things they like.

If you do go for the cucumber, be aware you have to limit veg cos it does contain carbs.

How's the hunger?

Ok, the citric acid makes sense, ta.

I think I can probably do without the cucumber, I just wondered why it was a no-go. I'd probably end up eating 10 cucumbers a day so perhaps it's best not.

I'm on SS as well, tho' perhaps it's fairer to say I'm on SS+ (small plus) some days. I have an egg or small piece of protein (50g or so) on the days I work out. I also eat celery when I want to chew on something - a 7-8" stalk (~40g) is about 5cals and 1g carb (50g cucumber with skin is 8cals and 2g carb). I find 1-2 stalks is all I need to satisfy the need.

I like CD because it is so simple - everything comes out of a pouch or in a bar. No cooking, no shopping, no real decisions to make. However, I'm in the camp that if I was 100% restricted to 3 CD products a day, I'd feel the need to "break out" of the diet. So I'm happy that my CDC told me to eat protein on the days I exercise and also happy to chew on the odd stalk of celery from time to time.

I think everyone comes up with a way to approach CD so that they can be successful on it. The key (I think) is to stick with it.

Hmmm - thanks for letting me think that out on your page! :)

I think, for now, I'm ok to stick entirely with SS and no food. I certainly don't work out :D

I am, however, still hungry :( I wake up with a rumbling tummy and I am noticeably hungry for a couple of hours before each soup. It's not killer hunger like the first day but it is there. And I can deal with it. It's just that one of the things that sold me on CD was the supposed lack of hunger. Perhaps my body is just wonky :(

Today is a test - pub lunch with lots of friends. I don't plan to mention that I'm doing CD - I can get away with no drinking as I will have a small child with me. The no eating, if anyone noticed I plan to just say I'm on a diet and leave it at that.

I am quite reluctant to admit i'm doing CD for fear of being judged doing a crank diet. Any tips about what to say?

You are doing really well! Despite ketosis I do still feel hunger. Not "belly hurting have to eat now or I will swoon" hunger but its deff hunger! I just learn to ignore it and concentrate on my water. Your body may still be settling down into the diet and the hunger side will pass, it does for most people.

As for not wanting to tell people, I understand that. I always say I have a "dodgy tummy" and didn't sleep well lol! I feel mean but its a means to an end some days!

Sue Dunhym said:
I am quite reluctant to admit i'm doing CD for fear of being judged doing a crank diet. Any tips about what to say?

Either don't tell them or go armed with info.... yes it is healthy, yes my doc does know, you're just ad likely to put all the weight back on after weight watchers too (i used that one this week) you'll prolly be fine... they are your friends. :)

I've told most of my friends now - they've just expressed concern at how few calories I'm eating, but have refrained from telling me I'm crazy or the diet is ill-advised. :)

I'M STILL HUNGRY :mad:

I was hungrier today than I have been in several days. I had a chick and mushroom soup at 2pm and was ravenous by 6pm. And my tummy's been rumbling on and off all day. Wtf?

And my husband just ate a sausage sandwich sitting next to me. I WANT ONE.

I get that! I don't know why, when we're in ketosis, we sometimes get so hungry, but it's a real pain. I usually just drink loads of water and/or tea. And sometimes just go to bed early.

Hang in there!

I drink probably around 5 pints of water a day. If I drank any more I'd be permanently on the loo! Speaking of which: excessive water + forceful coughing due to illness + weakened muscles due to childbirth = I may need to buy some Tena Lady. Eww.

My daughter is still quite ill so I am worried about her today but she's with my MIL so I have come to work.

So today is weigh-in day! It's not until tonight so a few hours to go but I'm feeling positive. My home scales show a significant loss and the rings on my fingers are loose.

I've treated myself to a diet coke this morning. Flavour! How I have missed you!

Also, I am feeling a bit more body confident already :) Although no one would notice I've lost any weight yet, I can feel it and it's giving me a bit more of a spring in my step. I think perhaps just feeling like I'm doing something about it is making me feel less like a horrible fat blob. I am excited about being slim again.

Also, I have a silly thing to look forward to - I am meeting some old friends in a few weeks and I hope to have lost a stone by then and hopefully they should notice and that would be really great. I haven't told them that I'm doing this diet so if they notice it'll be genuine proof that it's working, if you see what I mean.

This Saturday I am going out for Chinese with my best friends and it's going to be very weird sitting in a restaurant not eating or drinking. They know I'm doing the diet and will be fine with it, but it's still going to be hard. Tips welcome.

So today is weigh-in day! It's not until tonight so a few hours to go but I'm feeling positive. My home scales show a significant loss and the rings on my fingers are loose.

I've treated myself to a diet coke this morning. Flavour! How I have missed you!

Have a great weigh-in! Looking forward to hearing how you got on. And I love your comment about flavour! :D

I haven't been out to dinner with friends and not had anything to eat - I think I would feel very awkward, not to mention it's kind of odd for the restaurant as well.
As for tips...order tea and, if you feel your control slipping and you have to eat, eat either some protein or some low carb veggies - stay away from the rice, dumplings, etc. Hmmm, I'm getting hungry here and I just had a veg soup! :p

It's never been a problem from the restaurant's perspective when I've gone out and not eaten. Sue's and my mutual friend, gaijingirl, used to take her soup pack and ask them to make it up for her. I always took along a bar (but didn't have to do it til after bars were allowed). It is a little odd, but not as strange as you might expect to feel. Mostly you're there for the conversation, and you won't be missing out on that at all.

Cheers for that. I haven't decided yet whether I'll take a pack or just have one before we go.

The hunger has abated today, thank god. It is a lot easier when I'm at work because I'm not surrounded by food all day. Unfortunately my daughter's still ill so I'm going to have to take the day off tomorrow to take her to the doctors. She's really poorly, bless her.

Back