Puddings Super Simple Extra Easy Speedy Syn-Free Carrot Cake

Pootler

I make this about three times a week and eat half for breakfast. :) It's just one B and no syns for the entire thing. AAAAAND it includes 1/3 superfree right there in the cake. If this isn't the ultimate SW recipe, I'll eat a scan bran straight from the packet. :)

INGREDIENTS

• 5 scan bran or 55g scan bran sprinkles
  • About 1 1/2 to 2 cups grated carrot
  • two eggs
  • about 1 cup powdered sweetener
  • half teaspoon cinnamon
  • pinch salt
  • few drops vanilla essence

METHOD

1. Soften your scan bran (in a microwavable mixing bowl) with a some hot water. Just enough to soften it - this is a moist cake and the less water you can do this with the better - scan bran sprinkles work best.
2. Mix in the eggs, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Mix really thoroughly.
3. Mix in the sweetener.
4. Mix in the carrot.
5. Scrape off the sides of the bowl with a spatula and smooth the mixture down flat.
6. Bung in the microwave and cook on full power for about 7 minutes (1000w microwave)

To make it even better, you can add baking powder and a squirt of lemon juice, and some raisins. But then you'll need to count the syns. ;)

Sounds great! I will try this as soon as I get the scan bran, SW is on today so I should get them there....
Have you ever tried cooking it in an oven?

Isnt it only half a 'B' if you only eat half the cake?

Looks nice will give it a go,thanks

Isnt it only half a 'B' if you only eat half the cake?

Looks nice will give it a go,thanks

It is. I'll eat half for breakfast, and have an Alpen Light as a snack later. Then eat the other half the next day.

Pootler, I love you.. almost as much as I love carrot cake. gonna give this a bash tomorrow :D x

Pete's First Attempt at a Cake!

Here's my first effort!.....

Pete’s Scan Bran Carrot Cake

Syn free

Ingredients

5 scan bran
300g/3 medium size carrots
1 egg
3 Tbsp sweetener
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp nutmeg
Pinch salt
Zest from 1 lemon

Method

Break the scan bran into a mixing bowl and add boiling water, a bit at a time to soften them, mash into a smooth mix.

Grate the peeled carrots, drain as much liquid out of them as possible, and then place in a towel and wring out any remaining liquid. Add to mixing bowl along with the egg, sweetener and spices & lemon zest, mix well.

Preheat the oven to 180c and prepare a loaf tin, line with greaseproof paper cut to fit, spray with fry light.

Place on the middle shelf for 30 mins, insert a metal skewer into the middle of the cake and when you pull it out and it comes out clean, the cake is done.

Remove from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.

Doesn't look too good but boy! did it taste nice, moves faster that an F1 car!!

Attachments

• Scan bran carrot cake (Large).JPG
    Scan bran carrot cake (Large).JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 9,331
  • Scan bran carrot cake-2 (Large).JPG
    Scan bran carrot cake-2 (Large).JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 8,726
Hmm I made it n like it kinda..... Mine didnt rise at all I know it wouldn't rise much btw but your pic looks alot deeper than mine n o only used a small loaf tin.... Any ideas

Maybe because I didn't separate the egg???? Hmm

I used a smaller loaf tin! I have made it again and cooked it in a standard size tin and it came out about 1" high!will try again to see if I can make one bigger, does separating the egg yokes help to make it rise?

I do mine in a amall loaf tin. They never rise like a proper cake but whipping up your whites then folding them in will certainly give it a boost. Can never be bothered to do that myself so let us know how much of a difference it makes.

I am making my first one now, I have put the scan bran in some yeast to rise, think yeast would be free? I have whipped up my egg whites first , will then combine everything else once the scan bran has risen, if it does should make a lighter cake!!! Just wondering if to cook in the oven or microwave. Will try and post a photo later.

this is how it turned out , got about 8 slices, had 4 for already

2011-08-26%25252021_opt.jpg

Last edited:
just made this cake and so far it smells nice , it's cooling so will mix some quark with a bit of sweetner for the top when it's ready

Back