SUPERFREE BAKED MARROW

Honeyoc

Is a crunchy mama!
This was utterly delicious and a great way to make your superfree veg much more yummy and interesting! Marrow can be replaced with any summer squash like courgettes, pattypan squash etc.

Serves 4
1/2 HEA + 1.5 syns per serving (syn free if using frylight instead of olive oil)

IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3408.jpg

Ingredients
1 large marrow
1 tbsp olive oil (6 syns)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 meium onion
2 birds eye chillies
1 celery stalk
1 carrot
56g parmesan, grated
Fresh chopped basil
1 tbsp tomato paste (0.5 syns, negligible per serving)
1/2 chicken stock cube
Salt & pepper

Finely chop the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, chilli. Heat the olive oil and soften the veg. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, stock cube, and a small splash of water (swirled in the tin of tomato). Lower heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring regularly. The sauce should be reduced and quite dry. A lot of water comes out of the marrow so make sure the sauce isn't watery.

Meanwhile cut the marrow in half and scoop out the spongy centre. Cut into slices and arrange in a baking dish. Top with the tomato sauce, cover with foil and bake at 200C for 40 minutes. After 40 mins, take off the foil and sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake for a further 20 minutes until melted and bubbling.
Deeelish! Its great with pasta or grilled fish.

Mmm that looks delicious, think i'll have to given that recipe a go. Thanks for sharing it with us.

HPxx

One of my home grown courgettes has become a marrow whilst I've been on holiday so I'm now gonna make this aide dish tomorrow! Can I ask what's the different taste wise between marrow and courgette? Thanks xx

There's hardly any difference, the only thing is the marrow has a slightly tougher skin and spongier in the middle which is why I scooped it out. Enjoy!

Thankyou!!!

Looks a good recipe, I will wait until our courgettes get too big! No-one likes them so this recipe is ideal .

Looks a good recipe, I will wait until our courgettes get too big! No-one likes them so this recipe is ideal .

Exactly the same here-ive never eaten them because of it-but why dont people like them? Presumably the spongey bit which is removed in this? x

dirtydancing said:
i love marrow and usually stuff it with mince but this idea is great thanks.

Oooo please share your meaty marrow recipe!!

Back