syn free rice pudding - YUM

I'm going to have a go at this recipe! Oh yes indeedydee!

That sounds yummy, gonna buy some desert rice next week and give it a go!

SW rice pudding is a life saver for me - I just prepare it in the microwave while I am getting ready in the morning. I'm not keen on using flavoured yoghurts in it but vanilla is just scrummy!

I made some rice pudding recently using fat free evaporated milk.

recipe is on my blog: Creamy Vanilla Rice Pudding with Mixed Berries | Slimming Eats - Slimming World Recipes

it was so creamy, really delicious. I have tried making it with water/yoghurt and skimmed milk, but it just didn't do it for me. This however was yummy.

Unfortunately you can't get the fat free variety evaporated milk in the UK (which is quite low syns), but even made with the light stuff (which you can get) it still isn't too bad syn wise.

Oh and a good quality vanilla pod is a must, makes all the difference.

Circes said:
SW rice pudding is a life saver for me - I just prepare it in the microwave while I am getting ready in the morning. I'm not keen on using flavoured yoghurts in it but vanilla is just scrummy!

How do you make it in a microwave?

Just put the rice, water and/or milk, sweetener and vanilla extra in a large bowl and cook it for 15 minutes on full power, stirring two or three times during cooking. Take it out and add a vanilla yoghurt

I made some rice pudding recently using fat free evaporated milk.

recipe is on my blog: Creamy Vanilla Rice Pudding with Mixed Berries | Slimming Eats - Slimming World Recipes

it was so creamy, really delicious. I have tried making it with water/yoghurt and skimmed milk, but it just didn't do it for me. This however was yummy.

Unfortunately you can't get the fat free variety evaporated milk in the UK (which is quite low syns), but even made with the light stuff (which you can get) it still isn't too bad syn wise.

Oh and a good quality vanilla pod is a must, makes all the difference.

Hi! I tried your recipe last night. You said that it would easily give 5 servings but I found I only got 1 large or 2 small servings for that amount of rice. If I'd split it into 5 it would only have been a couple of tbsp per person :confused:

I couldn't justify adding a whole can of evaporated milk for just one or two servings as they would be too high in syns.

Hi! I tried your recipe last night. You said that it would easily give 5 servings but I found I only got 1 large or 2 small servings for that amount of rice. If I'd split it into 5 it would only have been a couple of tbsp per person :confused:

I couldn't justify adding a whole can of evaporated milk for just one or two servings as they would be too high in syns.

you can definately get 4 servings out of it, as 3/4 of a cup of dried rice, makes alot of rice once cooked. Especially once topped with berries. You possibly would need to use 1 cup of dried rice for it to serve 5. (so I have adjusted the recipe to state that)

Also If you look at various rice pudding recipes online, you will see that 3/4 of a cup of dried rice is a substantial portion for serving 4 people. I have seen various recipes using less rice to serve 6 people. For any dried portion of rice you will get approx 3 times that amount once cooked. So for instance 1 cup of uncooked rice would make approx 3 cups of cooked rice. Which is a huge portion.

The picture on my blog, is of a 1/4 of the whole thing made up and it isnt a tiny bowl. I measured out 4 servings exactly and got just over 1/2 cup of rice pudding per serving.

For the dried measurements:

1 cup = 240ml's.

3/4 cup = 180 ml's

I use measuring cups, so not sure if perhaps your 3/4 cup measurement was not equal.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to put together such a full reply. I have come to the conclusion I am just a gannet :D

I used a half cup and a quarter cup measure and have checked they are correct. I also compared them against the measure I would normally use for the SW rice pudding and it works out pretty much the same. And I get two servings out of that as well albeit two large ones. But that is with short grain rice which I imagine will increase in size more than long grain. Any particular reason you chose long grain rice? I get the impression mine didn't increase as much as three times. It was easy cook long grain - I wonder if that might have made a difference.

Thanks for taking the time to put together such a full reply. I have come to the conclusion I am just a gannet :D

I used a half cup and a quarter cup measure and have checked they are correct. I also compared them against the measure I would normally use for the SW rice pudding and it works out pretty much the same. And I get two servings out of that as well albeit two large ones. But that is with short grain rice which I imagine will increase in size more than long grain. Any particular reason you chose long grain rice? I get the impression mine didn't increase as much as three times. It was easy cook long grain - I wonder if that might have made a difference.

I can't get pudding rice here and found some long grain rice I had in my cupboard and thought that will do lol. It may of made a difference that yours was easy cook, because I would imagine something is done to the grain to make it quicker cooking? (I am presuming that is what you mean by easy cook??)

You could probably add more rice to be honest if you prefer a bit more, as you are cooking the rice in water first, so the evaporated milk is just for the creaminess really. You will probably need to up the amount of water for cooking the rice though , if you do increase the rice sizing.

I just loved the flavour the evaporated milk gave, especially using a vanilla pod instead of essence, it was so yummy and creamy.

Is a shame they don't do the fat free stuff there.

Last edited:
Yep it's a shame we don't get fat free evaporated milk here.

I've been thinking some more about the easy cook rice. I suspect that they call it easy cook because it has less starch - less likely to stick when cooking hence easier to cook. I think that may well affect it.

I think what I will do is use maybe 100mls of evaporated milk along with some milk. Maybe won't be quite as creamy but not as high syns and good for a treat.

Any idea if you can free evaporated milk?

ETA Just checked and it seems you can but it may separate when defrosted. Will have to give it a try I guess.

Last edited:
I made this earlier with 1 cup of rice and 3 cups of water and 2 shakes of sweetener from the jar. cooked it in the microwave, took out a serving and added a mullerlight with cherry layer. (I didn't have my specs on so opened the wrong yoghurt!!!)It was fab and I don't usually like rice pudding. There is loads left for another day, or two

Circes said:
Add some milk, give it a stir and reheat it in the microwave.

Add a cardamon pod and some Rose water while cooking for a slightly different flavour, or add a spoonful of cocoa powder for 1 syn and some peppermint essence for a mint choc treat.

Back