Syn Free Scotch Eggs

chomp

I've made syn free scotch eggs a couple of times now - they are really satisfying and easy for grab and go lunches.

You need:

- 5% or less mince of any type, I have found beef has turned out the best so far but have had succes with pork, turkey and mince. Quantity differs really but I find one smallpack does about 4 eggs.
- Seasoning, my advice here is that season quite heavily as the flavour still comes our fairly weak. For Beef I used all spice and some chilliflakes to make jerk type eggs but I change it up each time.
- hard boiled eggs
- 1 beaten egg
- Breadcrumbs, I tend to use wholegrain ryvita crackerbreads as one is only 1/6 of HEXB but theres other things you could try like wheetabix, smash etc

Directions:

- Preheat oven to gasmark 5 or 6
- Form mince mixture into an oval and wrap around an egg
- Use a pastry brush to cover surface in beaten egg mixture (or dunk if that's your thing)
- Roll around in bread crumbs
- Oven for about 30 mins or until done to your satisfaction

Notes:

- Some mince has quite a fair amount of fat run off even if it's 5% or less, I like to use a bigger oven tray to give it space to run off without the bottoms of the scotch eggs sat in it going soggy at the bottom.
- I usually turn mine upside down for last 5 mins so the bottoms get crispy too
- I also add a bit of the beaten egg mixture into the mince so it holds together better

egg.jpg

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
Yes the eggs are hard boiled and peeled before putting the mince around them :) They don't seem to suffer from being in the oven again after though.

I roll mine in cous cous, its free and doesn't cut into your heb, I also think it tastes better, but you need to soak the cous cous in hot water first before you roll... Yummy

yep, that's a tweak as you've used it as a flour/breadcrumb alternative

syn free scotch eggs are great when you use the SW sausages and un skin then and then coat the boiled eggs and pop then in the oven, super filling and don't really need any crumbs

Our SW consultant gave us this recipe with cous cous and she didn't tell us to syn it?!?!?

Ok so I've spoken to a couple of my SW consultant friends who have all said the same thing, it would be classed as a tweak and while it doesn't have a syn value if you are struggling with losses then this would be something to look at

I've made syn free scotch eggs a couple of times now - they are really satisfying and easy for grab and go lunches.

You need:

- 5% or less mince of any type, I have found beef has turned out the best so far but have had succes with pork, turkey and mince. Quantity differs really but I find one smallpack does about 4 eggs.
- Seasoning, my advice here is that season quite heavily as the flavour still comes our fairly weak. For Beef I used all spice and some chilliflakes to make jerk type eggs but I change it up each time.
- hard boiled eggs
- 1 beaten egg
- Breadcrumbs, I tend to use wholegrain ryvita crackerbreads as one is only 1/6 of HEXB but theres other things you could try like wheetabix, smash etc

Directions:

- Preheat oven to gasmark 5 or 6
- Form mince mixture into an oval and wrap around an egg
- Use a pastry brush to cover surface in beaten egg mixture (or dunk if that's your thing)
- Roll around in bread crumbs
- Oven for about 30 mins or until done to your satisfaction

Notes:

- Some mince has quite a fair amount of fat run off even if it's 5% or less, I like to use a bigger oven tray to give it space to run off without the bottoms of the scotch eggs sat in it going soggy at the bottom.
- I usually turn mine upside down for last 5 mins so the bottoms get crispy too
- I also add a bit of the beaten egg mixture into the mince so it holds together better

View attachment 173340

Enjoy :)
Do the just use wholemeal bread for the bread crumbs

Back