Taylor's Maintenance Diary

Looking good Sian!!!! You certainly got rid of the snacking bug today - eh!

I bought some granola that Jan talks about...very low GL, so I will try that one day and see how I get on and let you know. I think 50gm is which a lot of calories..more than I am allowed for brekkie for this week anyway, so I will probably have around 25gm, but wil still be interesting to see how it makes me feel and when I start feeling hungry with it! As I say, will let you know :)

Wednesday 19th May

Breakfast: Slice of wholemeal toast topped with marmite and sliced banana
(marmite was too overpowering with the banana :()

Lunch: Packet (6) of Nairns oatcakes with ham

Dinner: 6 seafood sticks, 3 small new potatoes with natural yogurt, salad and balsamic vinegar.

1 small apple
2 breadsticks
packet (3) go ahead biscuits

drinks: coffee, 1.5 litres tonic water with lemon

Last edited:
Looking good Sian!!!! You certainly got rid of the snacking bug today - eh!

I bought some granola that Jan talks about...very low GL, so I will try that one day and see how I get on and let you know. I think 50gm is which a lot of calories..more than I am allowed for brekkie for this week anyway, so I will probably have around 25gm, but wil still be interesting to see how it makes me feel and when I start feeling hungry with it! As I say, will let you know :)

I have heard of granola but I don't what it is, will you have it for breakfast?

Snacking issue was better yesterday but I put my jeans on this morning and they felt a bit tighter on my legs which tells me the weight is creeping back on so I need to lose a couple of pounds, any ideas on what I could eat throughout the day? Less carbs perhaps?

Oh yeuch, never heard of banana and marmite on the same piece of bread...........glad you just had the one lol.

Snacking issue was better yesterday but I put my jeans on this morning and they felt a bit tighter on my legs which tells me the weight is creeping back on so I need to lose a couple of pounds, any ideas on what I could eat throughout the day? Less carbs perhaps?

I try to have either lunch or dinner without carbs when I am maintaining or trying to lose weight. Either that or a very low carb lunch, but I would usually have something like

Grilled bacon, tinned tomatoes and poached egg with mushrooms.

Poached fish and salad.

Omelette with various fillings.

Home made vegetable soup.

Just a few of the things I have when avoiding carbs.

I try to have either lunch or dinner without carbs when I am maintaining or trying to lose weight. Either that or a very low carb lunch, but I would usually have something like

Grilled bacon, tinned tomatoes and poached egg with mushrooms.

Poached fish and salad.

Omelette with various fillings.

Home made vegetable soup.

Just a few of the things I have when avoiding carbs.

Thanks Mary, I like all of the above so will try them.

Won't be having marmite and banana again, I don't know why I put them together :confused:.

Hi Sian

Personally, I would say you need to know your snacking on the head.....not saying something is "good" and "bad"..but your snacking is similar to mine when I am in that mood...mostly carbs, and it wont be long before you realise that it is creeping on. I sound right moaning minnie but I am just kinda speaking from my own experience.

If you can, I would TRY not to snack, if you can help it at all...it could be that it is merely a habit and that you dont really need them. I try to fill up at meal times and then this avoids me snacking. Dont snack just for the sake of it, if you get what I mean.

Get lots of lovely fruit in so that your fruit bowl is bursting! You could even cut up lots of fruit and keep it in a tub and when you feel like you want to snack, have this. I also have Robinsons R with water and this often just fills me up and has a little taste to it rather than just plain or sparkling water....then I am too full and dont want to snack.

Yoghurts, dips like hummous, even a hard boiled egg or even some chicken/ham.....but just ask whether you actually need it.

I would have thought with the size of brekkie you have, it should last you. although, soup on its own tends not to fill me up, so maybe have soup and a pitta bread, or wholemeal roll..something a bit more substantial.

Granola is cereal; I will have a look at the ingredients....I know Jan has it a lot so I thought I would give it a go and see as it is very slow releasing and does help with sugar levels, etc...might be an idea to try and it and it might just fill you up for even longer!

Hope this helps...a bit waffly, as per usual :D

That is great, thankyou. Those ideas on snacks are great too. I got lots of fruit in today and some Total 0% yogurt. Also I saw those Nature Valley granola bars (bit pricey), I didn't get them as I wasn't sure about them. Plus I did see Quaker granola oats....could try that maybe. I'm having more salad with my evening meal to fill me up so I don't look for more things to eat at night.

ah - you will get there in the end..it is just retraining our thoughts and habits as well.

The Granola is rolled oats, lots of different nuts, cocunut as well..it does look substantial so will let you know when I have had it what it is like.

I have just come across a recipe...for some meusli and honey slices...

PER SLICE
cals - 153
Protein - 3g
Fat 7g (1g saturated)
Carbs 21g
Fibre - 2g
LOW GI
LOW GL

Prep time 10 mins
Cook time 20-25 mins
Makes 16 pieces

125ml honey
100gm (I will write what it says, but not sure what the equivalent is as I only use butter (when I have it)) monounsaturated, salt-reduced margarine
2 eggs
240g natural meusli
75g self raising flour

1. Preheat oven to 170 deg C (325F/gas mark 3) and line 6"x10" baking tin with non stick baking paper.

2. Pace honey and marg ina s amall saucepan. Stir over a low heat until the marg melts and the mix is well combined. Set aside to coool. Pour into a bowl and whisk the eggs.

3. Combine meusli and four in bowl. Add the cooled honey mix and stir well to combine. Pour into the lined tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 20-25 mins or until set and golden. Set aside in the tin to cool.

4. Cut the slice into 16 pieces. Store in an airtight container.

With the GI and GL being low they may sustain you and probably better than the other bars you buy! At least thes have no E numbers or anything artificial :)

I totally agree with Scotsmist, the snacking can be all our downfall!!! Have a small piece of fruit with a few walnuts or hazlenuts etc. The carb snacks only make me feel more hungry so I try to avoid them. I have a couple of plums with a dessert spoon of seeds with them or I might have two oatcakes with a teaspoon of peanut butter. These keep me full and I also keep up my water intake.

Thanks girls for those recipes and snack ideas.

Thursday 20th May

Breakfast: High fibre bran with semi skimmed milk

Lunch: Wholemeal bread sandwich with salad, ham and garlic and herb cream cheese. Packet walkers lites (didn't really enjoy the crisps so I won't have them again)

Dinner: Ham salad

1 banana
mullerlite yogurt
2 breadsticks

drinks: 2 litres tonic water with lemon

Last edited:
I think that is a snack Mary and she maybe hasnt had her dinner yet! That is what I am reading :)

Lunch looked good; did you feel full up afterwards ?

Your day looks much better today Taylor. Hope you keep it up :) x

Back