>>> The 2012 Six Stone Challenge Thread <<<

Morning all, well only 10.30 and done in already!!! Have had two meetings in two days about students with eating disorders, it makes me so sad. I work in the Performing Arts Department of a college and am in charge of the pastoral care and the tutorial programe...bit like the old PSHE classes, sexual health, drug and alcohol education (Corky stop giggling!!) all of the embarrasing things the other lecturers don't want to talk about...that's me!! Basically I'm Mum to 200 students.....and most of the other lecturers!! The amount of students I deal with who have issues with food is unbelievable, have thought so many times that what they need is a good SW group!!! Most of the students are educated about nutrition and healthy diet within their course, they have a unit called "healthy performer" but the pressure they feel to look a certain way over powers the need to be healthy, I feel terrible for the girls that aren't eating...but the overeaters just make me want to cry.....I suppose because I identify with them. Some of the lecturers don't get it either, the anorexic's yes they get it, the over eaters it's just pull yourself together...stop eating so much...exercise more.....they, I have to tell you, are all very slim and I know have never had to worry about gaining weight, so so frustrating!!!! Sorry rant over....just thought some of you lovely people would understand!!
That is so frustrating you wouldnt say to an anorexic for god sake just eat more and stop excercising would you, so why do people feel the need to always think an overeater is just a lazy pig! very very frustrating. I tell you what tough PD i wouldnt want your job lol, i bet there are some akward questions hey? lol xx:D

Morning all, well only 10.30 and done in already!!! Have had two meetings in two days about students with eating disorders, it makes me so sad. I work in the Performing Arts Department of a college and am in charge of the pastoral care and the tutorial programe...bit like the old PSHE classes, sexual health, drug and alcohol education (Corky stop giggling!!) all of the embarrasing things the other lecturers don't want to talk about...that's me!! Basically I'm Mum to 200 students.....and most of the other lecturers!! The amount of students I deal with who have issues with food is unbelievable, have thought so many times that what they need is a good SW group!!! Most of the students are educated about nutrition and healthy diet within their course, they have a unit called "healthy performer" but the pressure they feel to look a certain way over powers the need to be healthy, I feel terrible for the girls that aren't eating...but the overeaters just make me want to cry.....I suppose because I identify with them. Some of the lecturers don't get it either, the anorexic's yes they get it, the over eaters it's just pull yourself together...stop eating so much...exercise more.....they, I have to tell you, are all very slim and I know have never had to worry about gaining weight, so so frustrating!!!! Sorry rant over....just thought some of you lovely people would understand!!
I take my daughter with me to group. She goes free on the free2go programme if I pay. I always say to her it's her choice if she weighs etc but she always does. She loves the group and it's great to put her in control of her eating instead of me IYSWIM. She was on the 91 st centile and I had a letter as they weighed them at school. I didnt tell her about the letter as I thought it would do more harm than good. I saw my gp on my own about it and she told me about it. The gp said to either get her to maintain til she's taller or lose half a stone while shes growing and thats exactly what she has done. She had a very unhealthy relationship with food, just stuffing like there wasnt another meal and she did have good reason to do that due to her background but she has stopped doing that now and has learnt to make meals out of the magazine instead of the stupid stuff they did at school (biscuits, muffins etc) and now at 12 is back fitting into the teen clothes instead ladies sizes.

I take my daughter with me to group. She goes free on the free2go programme if I pay. I always say to her it's her choice if she weighs etc but she always does. She loves the group and it's great to put her in control of her eating instead of me IYSWIM. She was on the 91 st centile and I had a letter as they weighed them at school. I didnt tell her about the letter as I thought it would do more harm than good. I saw my gp on my own about it and she told me about it. The gp said to either get her to maintain til she's taller or lose half a stone while shes growing and thats exactly what she has done. She had a very unhealthy relationship with food, just stuffing like there wasnt another meal and she did have good reason to do that due to her background but she has stopped doing that now and has learnt to make meals out of the magazine instead of the stupid stuff they did at school (biscuits, muffins etc) and now at 12 is back fitting into the teen clothes instead ladies sizes.
Lucia, your daughter sounds alot like my eldest, she is overweight which worries me but we are all doing the SW diet and she knows we are being healthy but doesnt know she is actively watching her weight if you know what i mean. My daughter will be 12 next month and she has lost 8lbs in 6 weeks which i think is a great steady speed, she is wearing a ladies size 14/16 still which i really would like to get down some more, she is quite tall for her age 5ft 2(almost) so doesnt look as big as she is, but her friends are all alot smaller, im very aware of it but her and her friends dont seem to notice at all which is lovely. Can i ask about how you do the Free2go as when i was at meetings my consultant was rubbish , so i have been giving her 3 x A choices 3 x B choices lots of free food and superfree foods and up to 10-15 syns a day. as its working would you say this is alright or do you have any other tips for me. She also comes to the gym 3 times a week and comes swimming 3 times a week with me, we all go as a family. sorry for all the questions but it sounds like your daughter is where im trying to get mine too :)

Well done Lucia, it's so difficult isn't it to know what to do for the best, I do it for a living but I still struggle with my own lovelies!! My eldest daughter is very very like me physically and in her attitude for food. She is almost exactly the same shape as me when I was her age, we both go in and out in the right places, big bust, little waist, ample bottom, heavy in the thigh. She is probably a stone or so over weight but looks lovely. I just worry that she will end up very over weight like me if she continues to eat the amount she does, she cooks and eats healthily but she , like me, is a comfort eater. She came to SW with me last time and lost a stone, she was also going to aerobics and pilates several times a week and she loved it. You can't say anything to her about it because she get's upset!! My youngest was very slim, more like my ex husband, lovely legs, flat chest (which she hates!) but since she started work and turned eighteen and started going out (she's our party animal, that's like me!!) she has plumped up, just drinking and chaotic eating, she's comfortable with it though which is great. I always say though you can't have everything, Romi would like India's legs and India would like Romi's boobs, just be grateful you each got something your really happy with!! I am hoping that me finally losing the weight and permanantly changing my eating habits will have a positive effect on Romi, I know that when they were little treats and fun times always revolved around food so I have not always helped, and she watched me comfort eat through difficult times, in fact in a way they comfort eat with me, take aways when I was too exhasted to think about what to eat, chocolate and crisps in the cupboard at all times!!! Bad Mummy!!! xxxx

Well done Lucia, it's so difficult isn't it to know what to do for the best, I do it for a living but I still struggle with my own lovelies!! My eldest daughter is very very like me physically and in her attitude for food. She is almost exactly the same shape as me when I was her age, we both go in and out in the right places, big bust, little waist, ample bottom, heavy in the thigh. She is probably a stone or so over weight but looks lovely. I just worry that she will end up very over weight like me if she continues to eat the amount she does, she cooks and eats healthily but she , like me, is a comfort eater. She came to SW with me last time and lost a stone, she was also going to aerobics and pilates several times a week and she loved it. You can't say anything to her about it because she get's upset!! My youngest was very slim, more like my ex husband, lovely legs, flat chest (which she hates!) but since she started work and turned eighteen and started going out (she's our party animal, that's like me!!) she has plumped up, just drinking and chaotic eating, she's comfortable with it though which is great. I always say though you can't have everything, Romi would like India's legs and India would like Romi's boobs, just be grateful you each got something your really happy with!! I am hoping that me finally losing the weight and permanantly changing my eating habits will have a positive effect on Romi, I know that when they were little treats and fun times always revolved around food so I have not always helped, and she watched me comfort eat through difficult times, in fact in a way they comfort eat with me, take aways when I was too exhasted to think about what to eat, chocolate and crisps in the cupboard at all times!!! Bad Mummy!!! xxxx
Not a bad mummy at all, i think there is a lot of guilt when it comes to being a mum, i know i feel really guilty about my daughter being overweight, who was it tat ate chocolate like it was going out of fashion ME, who couldnt be bothered to cook so we had take away ME!, my youngest daughter and son are nice and slim which is great but my eldest daughter is exactly the same shape as me its such a worry. Sometimes i think i wont lose anything if she can , i just want her to be healthy and happy. xx

Paula it sounds like your doing a grand job, keeping them active is the trick I think and educating them so when they are older they can make the right choices for themselves, both of my daughters have put on weight since they left school and started being independent, one of them is a proper junk food vegeterian and the other just loves food!! Don't get me wrong they aren't large, size 12/14 and a size 10/12 (bliss aye ladies!!) I just worry so much that they will get bigger and bigger like I did and hate it!! xxxx

Paula, I give her 2 hex b's She has one at breakfast and one at lunch.Other than that I kind of do it my own way with her.There is a leaflet to follow which basically says you should have extra hex's before having lots of syns and also says doing more exercise but it's pretty lax diet wise just advocating healthy eating.

Breakfast is her cereal, a muller and as much fruit as she wants or I do boiled eggs a couple of times a week and she has her bread with it then the yog and fruit.Sat we always have quorn sausage and egg sandwich for brekkie and I give her a free hand with fruit.

She takes a packed lunch and tends to take a ham sandwich, a hi fi bar or wotsists and lots of fruit, sometimes a muller as well.

I dish her meat and potatoes/rice in the eves and I put the veg on the table and tell her she can have as much as she likes of this.Puddings are fruit and quark or sometimes I get shape delights or an ice lolly or low sugar jelly and ice cream.

The three treats are:

Sat after tea she has a standard choc bar of her choice, we buy it on the Sat.

Sunday lunch (which I do at tea) I always cook a traditional pudding eg sticky toffee, bread and butter pud etc and she always has a good helping of this. there would be riots if I stopped this!

Thursday after weigh in she has a small doner kebab which I ask for loads of salad in and just a little meat and we do our own mayo.

She has lost half a stone in six months and knows that a sts is good and sometimes loses half here or there. She has grown alot taller and this has really helped!

its so hard isnt it, i try to get them all up and moving as much as possible, the eating is a never ending battle but slowly we are getting there and im so proud of her for the changes she is making xx

Paula, I give her 2 hex b's She has one at breakfast and one at lunch.Other than that I kind of do it my own way with her.There is a leaflet to follow which basically says you should have extra hex's before having lots of syns and also says doing more exercise but it's pretty lax diet wise just advocating healthy eating.

Breakfast is her cereal, a muller and as much fruit as she wants or I do boiled eggs a couple of times a week and she has her bread with it then the yog and fruit.Sat we always have quorn sausage and egg sandwich for brekkie and I give her a free hand with fruit.

She takes a packed lunch and tends to take a ham sandwich, a hi fi bar or wotsists and lots of fruit, sometimes a muller as well.

I dish her meat and potatoes/rice in the eves and I put the veg on the table and tell her she can have as much as she likes of this.Puddings are fruit and quark or sometimes I get shape delights or an ice lolly or low sugar jelly and ice cream.

The three treats are:

Sat after tea she has a standard choc bar of her choice, we buy it on the Sat.

Sunday lunch (which I do at tea) I always cook a traditional pudding eg sticky toffee, bread and butter pud etc and she always has a good helping of this. there would be riots if I stopped this!

Thursday after weigh in she has a small doner kebab which I ask for loads of salad in and just a little meat and we do our own mayo.

She has lost half a stone in six months and knows that a sts is good and sometimes loses half here or there. She has grown alot taller and this has really helped!
Thank you Lucia, My daughter has been having this as a standard day

Breakfast
alpen x 2 (shes not a morning eater lol)

Snack
Yogurt

Lunch
chicken & cheese sandwich
small chicken bites (1.5)
ww crisps (3.5)
grapes

Dinner
chicken
small baked potato
spaghetti hoops
cheese

Then before bed she likes the options hot chocolate in varies flavours (1.5)

Obviously there is times when she has more or goes out with her friends and has more syns but i think its important that she does that too xx

Looks great Paula, the only thing I could possibly add is to up the superfree. I give Georgina a free hand at all meals with veg and always try to offer her fruit etc to bulk everything up.

guys, ive made a roulade this morning and i've just filled it with a shape delight choclate flavour and quark and raspberries. Its looks the best yet.Works out at 5 and a half syns for whole thing I think.

Do you think anyone would notice if I ate the lot before I go on the school run :D

Lucia Lucia said:
guys, ive made a roulade this morning and i've just filled it with a shape delight choclate flavour and quark and raspberries. Its looks the best yet.Works out at 5 and a half syns for whole thing I think.

Do you think anyone would notice if I ate the lot before I go on the school run :D

If you don't eat it I'll come over and eat it! Good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Looks great Paula, the only thing I could possibly add is to up the superfree. I give Georgina a free hand at all meals with veg and always try to offer her fruit etc to bulk everything up.
Thanks Lucia, i like the idea of putting it on the table and leting her help herself, thats s good idea thank you xx

Another thing if she does have a low hot choc which she asks for with a snack a few times in the week. I give her a sponge finger biscuit (they are sometimes called bouidoir or lady fingers find them in home baking section ) They are 1 syn or 22 cals each so very low and very bscuit like. I dont buy biscuits anymore!

It's very dificult as my son is underweight and on ritalin and we have to do everything we can to get him to gain weight! I try and get hime to keep a snack box in his room as it upsets her if he's munching in front of her, fine balance isnt it!

wow that must be tricky Lucia, i will have a look for those next time im in tescos, thank you xx

Hello, hope you're all having a good day, good luck to anyone weighing in tonight :).

I found chocolate Philidelphia today, oh my word YUMMY!!! :D They only had the 30g pots which I'm assuming at 86 cals would be 4 1/2 syns. Can I have this as a HEXA tho? Mind you, it's dangerous, I probably should never buy it ever again!:8855:

I have another question... does anyone have a recipe for a sauce for fish? I'm not a great lover of fish but I bought some smoked haddock last week. I made a kedgeree which was lovely but I don't know what else to do it with. I love veggies but need a bit of sauce or they taste too bland.

You could make a nice white sauce with skimmed milk, a couple of teaspoons of cornflour, mustard powder, salt and pepper??? Or turn it into a cheese sauce and chuck a grated Hexa of cheese in?

Or a nice watercress sauce made with quark, from frais, orange, garlic and watercress.

Mustard and herb sauce? Spiced lemon sauce? SW tartare sauce?

Depends what flavours you like really

I found chocolate Philidelphia today, oh my word YUMMY!!! :D They only had the 30g pots which I'm assuming at 86 cals would be 4 1/2 syns. Can I have this as a HEXA tho? Mind you, it's dangerous, I probably should never buy it ever again!:8855:

Chocolate Philadelphia is VERY dangerous, but VERY yummy.

You could make a nice white sauce with skimmed milk, a couple of teaspoons of cornflour, mustard powder, salt and pepper??? Or turn it into a cheese sauce and chuck a grated Hexa of cheese in?

Or a nice watercress sauce made with quark, from frais, orange, garlic and watercress.

Mustard and herb sauce? Spiced lemon sauce? SW tartare sauce?

Depends what flavours you like really

You are like a walking recipe book...wow

Back