>>> The 2012 Six Stone Challenge Thread <<<

Just caught up on all the gossip. Sorry I've not been around, but I've been really busy and collapsed when I've got home. However I'm back now and lost 1 and 1/2 lbs last night at weigh in and got my stone sticker. Roziee can you update the list for me please.xxx

Weigh in last night and I lost 5.5lbs so 25 in total now for 2012 :)

Xx

Well done you!! That's flipping fabaroonie :D :clap::clap:

Just caught up on all the gossip. Sorry I've not been around, but I've been really busy and collapsed when I've got home. However I'm back now and lost 1 and 1/2 lbs last night at weigh in and got my stone sticker. Roziee can you update the list for me please.xxx

Well done Yvonne :D Great loss! :clap::clap: Good to see you back :)

Today is a new day and the start of a new week. Not going to worry about last week anymore. It's not worth it! I'll just plod along this week and do the best I can and hopefully it'll show on the scales next time!

Thanks everyone for the words of advice, and encouragement... this is why I won't fail this time xxx

Hi there Folks, I am trying to lose 6 stone in 8 months, I lost my first stone and the difference its made in my health is thrilling, BUT! I then started upping my exercise regime, Last week I went swimming twice and have now gained 2 lb first gain since I started in January, even though I am feeling thinner and definitely more toned it really hit me hard, has anyone else gained from exercising? I do half hour stints on a cross trainer at least twice a day, plus do aerobics twice a week these havent gained me the weight, but the swimming definitely seems to :( (honestly I didnt drink half the pool! - just a gallon or two LOL)

Today is a new day and the start of a new week. Not going to worry about last week anymore. It's not worth it! I'll just plod along this week and do the best I can and hopefully it'll show on the scales next time!

Thanks everyone for the words of advice, and encouragement... this is why I won't fail this time xxx
Mandy you put me to shame with the amount of exercise you are doing my love, mother nature can be so cruel but you will out fox her eventually!! I am almost reluctant to do any extra exercise because I am worried about the effect on the scales but I know it's no use losing the weight without using exercise to improve my health and tone me up, would rather be a stone heavier and look knockout in a clingy dress than hit target and not be happy with what I look like in my clothes. I am sure you must be feeling the difference in the fit of your clothes and how much healthier and energetic you feel.....have you taken measurements? Mr PD said last time I was going to the gym my bottom moved a couple of inches up my back....couldn't keep his hands off it!!!! My arms became more defined, my tummy got a little flatter and I was able to hold it in better, I got more comments after I had been to the gym for a month than I did losing nearly two stone!!...that's it I've talked myself into it.....back to the gym I go!!! xxxxx

Dear all

I'm back from hols!!- back to class tonight and have already joined the gym near home (lovely posh health club with lots of great classes) so am ready for a big push now

Don't know what the scales will say tonight after a few weeks off plan and an AI holiday but clothes don't feel too different and I did loads of walking on hols

Will be back later when I have had chance to see how you are all doing and have been to class

Big hugs!

rockchick72 said:
Dear all

I'm back from hols!!- back to class tonight and have already joined the gym near home (lovely posh health club with lots of great classes) so am ready for a big push now

Don't know what the scales will say tonight after a few weeks off plan and an AI holiday but clothes don't feel too different and I did loads of walking on hols

Will be back later when I have had chance to see how you are all doing and have been to class

Big hugs!

Welcome back RC! :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Dear all

Big hugs!

Hope you had a lovely time and good luck tonight. Regardless of your weight loss/gain the main thing is you're back on it. :)

Mandy you put me to shame with the amount of exercise you are doing my love, mother nature can be so cruel but you will out fox her eventually!! I am almost reluctant to do any extra exercise because I am worried about the effect on the scales but I know it's no use losing the weight without using exercise to improve my health and tone me up, would rather be a stone heavier and look knockout in a clingy dress than hit target and not be happy with what I look like in my clothes. I am sure you must be feeling the difference in the fit of your clothes and how much healthier and energetic you feel.....have you taken measurements? Mr PD said last time I was going to the gym my bottom moved a couple of inches up my back....couldn't keep his hands off it!!!! My arms became more defined, my tummy got a little flatter and I was able to hold it in better, I got more comments after I had been to the gym for a month than I did losing nearly two stone!!...that's it I've talked myself into it.....back to the gym I go!!! xxxxx

Actually, I was recently lamenting the fact that after almost 3 stone I couldn't see a damn bit of difference. Until I upped the exercise! My stomach is flatter, especially my upper abdomen, and the boobs are finally going down, slowly but surely.

I have taken measurements and I am losing inches, if I'm not losing pounds. Overall I've lost 5 inches from my waist, about 2 of those in the last 3 weeks. And have lost 2 inches from my underbust!

I'll just keep measuring. I didn't go for my walk this morning with the group as my housework has seriously fallen behind since I've upped the exercise (I never seem to get around to it lately!) and I've used today to get the house done and a few loads of washing, which has honestly piled up and up on me. I've never been very good at keeping on top of the washing anyway lol

I did go yesterday though, and I'll go tomorrow. I reckon the hoovering and scrubbing made up for the absence of a walk today, and I will do some wii fit tonight just to top it off.

Trying for 11.5km tomorrow! Although this will be my mother's first outing with us, so we probably won't make it all the way to where we usually go, since her knees aren't the best. But I'll get 6km alone just walking from mine to the meeting point and back... anything after that is a bonus.

I've been prattling on for ages here haha anyway...back to the cleaning I go!

Wow...five inches, that's brilliant!!!.....trying not to snigger and ask if that's the female interpratation of five inches or the male....if it's the latter you could find you've not lost as much as you thought!!....sorry inappropriate!!!....seriously you have got to be chuffed with that!! Your hard work is working...go girl!!! Oh and I read that Emmy 1 has restarted the shred and isn't finding it too bad second time around so I might try again!! xxxx

We're all turning into excercise freaks!

I did the gym yesterday, aqua aerobics today and trying to work up to my zumba session tomorrow!

Hi ladies! WI this morning and lost 2lbs. 0.5lb off my mini target for Feb but still happy with that.
Our group challenge this week is to try some different healthy extras. I've been meaning to have tinned raspberries as a HEXB one day anyway as you get loads.
I'm going to have a bread free week this week and stock up on canned and dried fruit instead.

I found this recently and as there's a lot of talk about exercise here, thought it might be interesting...

Almost everyone reaches a weight loss plateau at some point in their fitness lives. The reason is that the human body works hard to keep energy intake and output in balance. In other words, your body does not like to lose weight (not a revelation, huh?). After your initial weight loss, your progress will slow down and eventually stop even though your exercise and food intake is consistent. The bottom line is that the very efforts you make to burn more calories may eventually slow it down.

Problem 1. Lowering your calories too much
Fact: It takes calories to burn calories. When you decrease your food intake, your body simply lowers its metabolic rate in response. This still allows the body to function properly, but ultimately your body requires fewer calories which creates hunger and prevents you from losing fat.
Solution:

Keep your calories slightly below your maintenance calories so that your energy and metabolism remain high. A deficit greater than 500-700 calories makes it much more difficult to maintain your lean body mass. To determine your approximate daily caloric needs, use this formula:
  • Men
    kg (body weight) x 24 = kcal/day Women
    kg (body weight) x 23 = kcal/day
note: kg = pounds divided by 2.2 (i.e.: 180 lbs / 2.2 = 81.8 kg)

Problem 2. Loss of lean body mass
Fact: Muscle burns fat and losing muscle means burning fewer calories. Lean body mass uses five times the calories as fat mass so, if you lose it, your metabolism drops and your weight loss stops.

Solution:
Make sure your exercise program is combined with a fully nourished body. You can accomplish this with a diet that creates a safe calorie deficit along with some type of multivitamin to help with any nutrient deficiencies.
Problem 3. Weight loss
What? But you thought that's what you wanted! However, what you may have forgotten is that when you weigh less, it takes less calories to move your body. A loss of any amount of weight will lead to a reduced energy requirement.
Solution:
Make sure you start (or continue) a weight training program to help increase lean body mass, which can help compensate for the loss of calories.
Problem 4. The 'Adaptation' Phase Ends
When you start a new exercise program, your body responds because it is required to make numerous changes to adjust to different workloads. So, your muscles are rebuilding themselves and this consumes all kinds of calories. But, at some point your body will stop adapting to the new workload and, as a result, you burn less calories for the same activities.
Solution:
Don't let your body get used to the exercise. Maintain your body's adaptation period by changing the intensity, duration, frequency and/or the mode of exercise and include interval training if necessary.
Problem 5: Exercise Efficiency
The more you do something, the better you get at it. As your body becomes better at performing your exercises, it can actually use fewer calories during the exercise. Think of it this way: trained athletes often use fewer calories than untrained athletes with similar body types and workouts. So, if this describes where you are, consider yourself a trained athlete and read on!
Solution:
The solution to this is the same as for Problem 4; don't get used to the exercise. Concentrate on more dramatic changes such as trying brand new activities. For example, if you use the treadmill for two weeks, switch to something different like the rowing machine or the bike. Don't forget to make changes in your weight training routine as well!
Problem 6: Over-training
Just like not eating enough can lower the amount calories you burn, so can over-training. When you exercise too much, there is a point of diminishing returns when an increase in exercise energy expenditure is negated by an equal decrease in non-exercise energy expenditure. In other words, when you increase your exercise intensity, your body responds by decreasing the amount of calories you burn during the rest of your day.
Solution:
Take time to recover. If you reach exercise burnout, this is a great time to take a break for a few days, or try something gentle like yoga or a stretching routine. After you've rested, get back to exercise but lighten up your original routine and increase your intensity only as necessary.
7. Enhanced Physical Condition
As you get into better shape, your body is more efficient and it costs fewer calories to operate. Improved health means a lower resting metabolic rate and fewer calories are burned during normal daily activities. Part of this is because your cardio-pulmonary system is more efficient now and you have a lower resting heart rate.
Solution:
Congratulations! You're officially in shape and healthy. Focus on that and feel good about yourself. Concentrate on changing your routine as described in Solution 5.

OH left my bike in his mothers' a couple of weeks ago.. I'm thinking next week I'll go cycling instead of walking, maybe. Variety is the spice of life and all that clap-trap!

I have stewing beef on the boil, to make stew and just realised that OH used the last of my beef stock cubes without telling me and I've none for my stew :(

Holy Moly! According to that I need to eat over 3500cals a day just to maintain my weight! wowser! whats even scarier is that if i've been gaining weight i've been eating more than that regularly, considering 1lb=3500cals!!! :doh:

I know Dory, only 500 cals a day extra will make us gain a pound a week! But on a positive note just 500 cals less than we need each day will make us lose a pound a week :)

Well, that's the science... not sure my body wants to follow this logic at times! :rolleyes:

I've just had some sad news. The social worker who chose us to be the family for our kids has died. She was a really really lovely lady and apparently it happened a few months back. It has really shocked me. She was extremely overweight, I guess she was around 35 stone + and she could have only be early fifties.My kids affectionately called her the giant lady. My eldest who remembers her most just had a cry and said, but look at the good things she has done so you cant be sad.

So sorry to hear that Lucia.. it must feel like you've lost a family member. She gave you the greatest gift of all and really did do a lot of good. She leaves behind a legacy x x

I've just had some sad news. The social worker who chose us to be the family for our kids has died. She was a really really lovely lady and apparently it happened a few months back. It has really shocked me. She was extremely overweight, I guess she was around 35 stone + and she could have only be early fifties.My kids affectionately called her the giant lady. My eldest who remembers her most just had a cry and said, but look at the good things she has done so you cant be sad.

That's very sad Lucia :( Your eldest is so right though :) Look what joy and happiness she not only gave you and hubby, but your three beautiful children. Nevertheless, you're bound to be upset.......:bighug:

So sorry to hear that Lucia.. it must feel like you've lost a family member. She gave you the greatest gift of all and really did do a lot of good. She leaves behind a legacy x x

Lovely post Mandy xxx Brought a likkle tear to my eye....

peacedove said:
Wow...five inches, that's brilliant!!!.....trying not to snigger and ask if that's the female interpratation of five inches or the male....if it's the latter you could find you've not lost as much as you thought!!....sorry inappropriate!!!....seriously you have got to be chuffed with that!! Your hard work is working...go girl!!! Oh and I read that Emmy 1 has restarted the shred and isn't finding it too bad second time around so I might try again!! xxxx

Hey PD and Mandy - totally loving the shred at the moment! And also measured before starting as I know if I don't see a loss on the scales I'll be gutted so I'll need to check inches to see that some part of me is getting less! Although other half has already said he can see loss in my body shape (phew)
Rest day today but happy to continue with the shred from tomorrow - I do recommend it! A lot of my friends have had good results for inch loss and toning so I'll stick with it and check my inches after the 30 days :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back