The big ship sails on the Alli Alli Oh...

Morning diary,

Went a bit off the rails yesterday! Well not quite off the rails but after eating my synned pieces of chocolate (droste pastilles - yum) I ended up eating the whole pack. At a guess that's about 25 syns that I hadn't planned for. So....I'm aiming to use no more than 7 syns per day for the rest of the week to make up for it. That should be plenty to stop me feeling deprived at least! :)

Today's menu:

B: Fruit, yogurt, Alpen light bar (HEB)
L: Cous cous salad (2.5)
S: Fruit, yogurt
D: Chicken, chorizo and prawn paella (2.5)
S: 2 x mini eggs (1.5), Alpen light (HEB)

So that's 6.5 syns in total and I will use my HEA for milk in coffee.

Hope you all have a good day!

Morning diary,

Went a bit off the rails yesterday! Well not quite off the rails but after eating my synned pieces of chocolate (droste pastilles - yum) I ended up eating the whole pack. At a guess that's about 25 syns that I hadn't planned for. So....I'm aiming to use no more than 7 syns per day for the rest of the week to make up for it. That should be plenty to stop me feeling deprived at least! :)

Today's menu:

B: Fruit, yogurt, Alpen light bar (HEB)
L: Cous cous salad (2.5)
S: Fruit, yogurt
D: Chicken, chorizo and prawn paella (2.5)
S: 2 x mini eggs (1.5), Alpen light (HEB)

So that's 6.5 syns in total and I will use my HEA for milk in coffee.

Hope you all have a good day!
Hi Alli,

You are doing so much better than me.......I'm on the verge of giving up.

Call it laziness, tiredness or whatever you will but I was not organised with lunch to bring to work today and went to the local Tesco and opted for one of their light choices Tuna & Cucumber sandwiches. Containes 60% less fat than their normal sandwich. 255 calories. Can't say fairer than that. Half the cals of the Prawn pasta salad I had yesterday and guess what?????? The same amount of syns. 13 of them!!!!! How can that be? Surely the bread would be a HEB, and surely the tuna and cucumber would be free? I just dont get it and I feel very despondent right now. :cry:

Hi Alli,

255 calories. I just dont get it and I feel very despondent right now. :cry:

Chels,

I am sure I have told you this before -- studies show that you can lose weight successfully on an all eclair diet. Really. It is simple math -- you consume fewer calories than you expend.

Maybe you should go onto My Fitness Pal and log your calories and stop worrying about these Syn things for the moment. Just work on "holding your own" and giving SW some thought and do a little homework.

Your weight day is Tuesday, so calorie count between now and then -- and try to low carb, low gi and de-stress.

You could do the "Beck" Prepare to Diet activities, and IF you feel ready to do SW on Tuesday then do so.

This is why Beck suggests picking two diets -- so that if one doesn't work (or stops working) you move on to the other. What Beck doesn't make clear, is that when you have moved on to the second diet then you pick another second diet. Contingency management is an on-going process.

I am using CD810/1000. I am cooking for SB for DH... when I no longer can cope with, tolerate, am bored with, etc. CD, then I will move on SB. I will then pick another "back up" diet. It might be Rosemary Conley, SW, WW, or more likely the "All Eclair" diet. lol ;)

Hang in there Baby!!!

MM

Hi Alli,

Call it laziness, tiredness or whatever you will but I was not organised with lunch to bring to work today and went to the local Tesco and opted for one of their light choices Tuna & Cucumber sandwiches. Containes 60% less fat than their normal sandwich. 255 calories. Can't say fairer than that. Half the cals of the Prawn pasta salad I had yesterday and guess what?????? The same amount of syns. 13 of them!!!!! How can that be? Surely the bread would be a HEB, and surely the tuna and cucumber would be free? I just dont get it and I feel very despondent right now. :cry:

Oh Hun I've only just seen this - I saw Little Sausage's response on your diary and thought "Silly Sausage - you weren't referring to a tuna sandwich, it was a prawn salad!". Now I get what's going on and I'm the silly one :D

First of all take a deep breath!

Now, deduct 6 syns for your HEB if the bread was wholemeal. That leaves you with a 7 syn sandwich - not too bad.

Now if you wanted to you could estimate how much tuna was in there and deduct a syn or two for that as well. SW couldn't possible disect all sandwiches and weigh out how much tuna and the equivalent syn value so they simply take the total calorie content and divide it by 20 to get to an overall syn value. We know wholemeal bread is HEB and 1 HEB of bread equals 6 syns so that's easy to deduct - the rest is a bit of a guessing game and so it's up to you if you do it or class it as syns.

Personally I'd syn the rest as 7 syns isn't that bad for a sandwich, but even if you deducted 2 syns for the tuna + cucumber you wouldn't be far wrong and then you have a 5 syn sandwich - result!

I've just had a bowl of Crunchy Nut cornflakes thinking that it would only be 3-4 syns but after eating it realised that I was remembering WW propoints instead of syns and it's actually 5.5 syns. It leaves me short today especially as I'm trying to recover the 25 extra syns I had yesterday - See I'm not doing any better than you ;)

We'll get there - it's work in progress!

Oh Hun I've only just seen this - I saw Little Sausage's response on your diary and thought "Silly Sausage - you weren't referring to a tuna sandwich, it was a prawn salad!". Now I get what's going on and I'm the silly one :D

First of all take a deep breath!

Now, deduct 6 syns for your HEB if the bread was wholemeal. That leaves you with a 7 syn sandwich - not too bad.

Now if you wanted to you could estimate how much tuna was in there and deduct a syn or two for that as well. SW couldn't possible disect all sandwiches and weigh out how much tuna and the equivalent syn value so they simply take the total calorie content and divide it by 20 to get to an overall syn value. We know wholemeal bread is HEB and 1 HEB of bread equals 6 syns so that's easy to deduct - the rest is a bit of a guessing game and so it's up to you if you do it or class it as syns.

Personally I'd syn the rest as 7 syns isn't that bad for a sandwich, but even if you deducted 2 syns for the tuna + cucumber you wouldn't be far wrong and then you have a 5 syn sandwich - result!

I've just had a bowl of Crunchy Nut cornflakes thinking that it would only be 3-4 syns but after eating it realised that I was remembering WW propoints instead of syns and it's actually 5.5 syns. It leaves me short today especially as I'm trying to recover the 25 extra syns I had yesterday - See I'm not doing any better than you ;)

We'll get there - it's work in progress!
Thanks Alli, its nice to know I'm not the only one struggling to cope with it all. That's the problem... I am thinking that things are good choices, only to find out they aren't and it throws me completely. Short of walking round the shops with all my SW books, which only advertises the fact to the whole world that I am on a diet, I don't know what else to do. Well, I do. Go online, get a 7 day menu plan, get the goods and sort myself out!!! I used to have the SW food directory, which was great. At least I could go and get a ready meal - and there were loads that were free or low syn - for when I am tired and have not much time. I might need to invest in another one of those :D

I think also I need to change my WI day to Saturday, as that was my official 1st day, whereas I joined online last Tuesday, making yesterday my WI day. That only gave me 3 days to register a loss (?) ......more like a gain boo hoo.

xxx

I am still voting for the All Eclair diet! ;)

MinnieMel said:
I am still voting for the All Eclair diet! ;)

Hahaha! Mmm... If you could lose weight by eating cream and chocolate and pastry I'd be a happy sausage!

Morning all,

OK so yesterday did not pan out the way I had planned it!
I'm not sure what happened but I found myself in the kitchen with a spoon of peanut butter in my hand (oh yes I love it straight from the jar :rolleyes:). I had a couple of spoon fulls and then threw the jar away (not much left anyway in case anyone is particularly worried about my wasting food). Then I got a really bad stomach ache and couldn't eat dinner. I had some yogurt and fruit and felt better. After parent's evening, dog walk, housework etc (so getting late) I sat down to watch some TV and ate a bowl of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes....a fairly big bowl - not like a pyrex dish or anything but bigger than the 30g recommended serving...

Today I've woken up feeling dejected and not in the mood to stick to anything so am trying to heed my own advice by just taking it one day or even one meal at a time. I have a busy work day today so I should be fine. DH is out tonight but I will do my best.

So, today's menu is:

B: Yogurt, Banana
S: Alpen Light (HEB)
L: Not sure yet, but will probably be sushi from M&S at 3.5 syns (although I can't see where those syns are as surely on EE the fish should be free!?:confused:)
S: More fruit
D: Paella - the one I didn't make last night...
S: Alpen Light (HEB)

Let's see if I can stick to this...:)

Hi Alli,

One day at a time... I am in the same boat. It sounds like a good healthy menu.

Are you going to do any planned fitness (do you have time)? I have been slack at this since my one class on Monday.

I hope your day goes well. I am about to turn my light box on to chase away the gray day blues.

MM

Morning Alli, morning Mel,

You're doing great hun, this getting organised and pre-planning everything takes some getting used to. This has got to be done with military precision it would seem.........I am having to scan diaries to get ideas as I don't seem to be able to come up with any of my own :D

Have a good day today.......which I am sure you will x

Hi there, Alli. As Chelsea says, it's going to take a bit of planning ahead. At least to get you in to the swing of things. Try making your lunch the night before - couscous takes minutes, and you can chop up some vegetables, stick them in the oven to roast and forget about them! If you're making dinner, why not make sure that you cook enough so that you have some to take to work the next day? That then takes the hassle out of lunch times, and means that you should be less tempted to pop out to get something naughty.

It may also help to sit down on Friday night/Saturday morning and look at the recipes online/Britmum's website/food diaries/SW magazines and make a list of meals for the next week. Then, you can shop accordingly. I try to use the weekend to cook a few meals that I can stick in the fridge/freezer or just make a big batch of soup or homemade pasta sauce that means things are a lot easier when I get home from work.

As for the syns - there are syns hidden in most things! Syns, however, are not based only on calories, but on satiation. Something low synned will have a low number of syns for the amount of satisfaction you get. Low energy-dense foods will have few syns (if any) but will make you feel full/satisfied. Items that you would have thought would have no syns (take, for example, my favourite "Super Green Soup" from Marks & Spencer which has just beans, mint, spinach and other green stuff - very few calories, almost no fat - has 11 syns!!!) have far more than you would expect. The only answer, I'm afraid, is to be a little more prepared and make your food from scratch. 3.5 syns is pretty low, so don't feel bad. My only worry is that it won't fill you up for long, and you may be tempted to overeat later to compensate? I have to keep an eye on that, as it's something I can do very easily.

x

Hi there, Alli. As Chelsea says, it's going to take a bit of planning ahead. At least to get you in to the swing of things. Try making your lunch the night before - couscous takes minutes, and you can chop up some vegetables, stick them in the oven to roast and forget about them! If you're making dinner, why not make sure that you cook enough so that you have some to take to work the next day? That then takes the hassle out of lunch times, and means that you should be less tempted to pop out to get something naughty.

It may also help to sit down on Friday night/Saturday morning and look at the recipes online/Britmum's website/food diaries/SW magazines and make a list of meals for the next week. Then, you can shop accordingly. I try to use the weekend to cook a few meals that I can stick in the fridge/freezer or just make a big batch of soup or homemade pasta sauce that means things are a lot easier when I get home from work.

As for the syns - there are syns hidden in most things! Syns, however, are not based only on calories, but on satiation. Something low synned will have a low number of syns for the amount of satisfaction you get. Low energy-dense foods will have few syns (if any) but will make you feel full/satisfied. Items that you would have thought would have no syns (take, for example, my favourite "Super Green Soup" from Marks & Spencer which has just beans, mint, spinach and other green stuff - very few calories, almost no fat - has 11 syns!!!) have far more than you would expect. The only answer, I'm afraid, is to be a little more prepared and make your food from scratch. 3.5 syns is pretty low, so don't feel bad. My only worry is that it won't fill you up for long, and you may be tempted to overeat later to compensate? I have to keep an eye on that, as it's something I can do very easily.

x
Littlesausage............how come you're so clever????? :D:D x

Littlesausage............how come you're so clever????? :D:D x

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
I'm not. I just have SO MUCH weight to lose that I hit the ground running when I (finally!) decided to join Slimming World! I've been so pleased with how well it works that I'm really dedicated to sticking to it. I'm quite lucky that I wasn't on a different diet/plan prior to this, so I didn't have to de-programme myself.

There is so much I don't know/understand and I'm forever looking things up, but I try to help where I can! x

Well your knowledge and enthusiasm is fab and I am sure there are loads of us who really appreciate it...I know I do. Keep all the advice coming my way.......I really need it :D:D

x

Hi LS!

Thanks for taking the time to write all that up!

Today I'm not in our own office so couldn't really bring a pre-prepared lunch so researched the local shops nearby. It seemed M&S sushi was the best option so that's why I was aiming for that. I've got plenty of fruit with me so should be OK on the hunger front.

I know that 3.5 isn't a lot but it's just that I didn't get why the fish is synned in the fish sushi but rice is free (on EE that is). Having said that, now that I've looked at the pack it's got smoked mackerel in there which has syns so that explains it :).

I've got most dinners planned but last night it was simply a matter of not feeling up to eating a meal - with hindsight I should have eaten as it might have stopped me from picking on cereal but my stomach was hurting and I simply couldn't face it.

I feel much better now that I've had a few coffees :rolleyes: and feel confident that I'm back on track. I have my lunch here next to me and will eat it before my next meeting.

It's lovely to have all this support on here when we need it! I was feeling a bit fed up this morning but just knowing that people take the time to check in on me makes me feel so much better! :)

Right - must go now as I am supposed to concentrate on a conference call and I'm not good at multi-tasking...any second now they will ask "what's your view on this Alli?" and I will have no idea what they're on about :D.

will be back tonight! Thanks again LS, MM and Chels for your support!

Hi Alli,

I am glad the mackeral is smoked. I had lunch with a doctor last Friday and she told me that she knows no doctors who eat sushi (parasites). So, it is worth the syns.

And, when my mind has wandered and I am not sure what the question was -- I'll say, "Hummm, I'd like to have little think on this before I answer." People then think that I am taking them "seriously".

MM

Hi Alli,

I am glad the mackeral is smoked. I had lunch with a doctor last Friday and she told me that she knows no doctors who eat sushi (parasites). So, it is worth the syns.

And, when my mind has wandered and I am not sure what the question was -- I'll say, "Hummm, I'd like to have little think on this before I answer." People then think that I am taking them "seriously".

MM

:D:D:D I'm too honest for my own good - I normally say " Sorry it all got a bit dull so I found something more interesting to do, can you please repeat the question?"

Most people don't take offense as they feel exactly the same way!

Right I'm STILL not paying attention - stop replying to my posts now so that I can get some work done! :mad::D

You are so sorted! Everyone has off days. Sunday was mine - I picked all day and, even though it was all free, I just felt out of control. Fortunately, I managed to haul it back, otherwise things could've gotten messy.

Groan - I'm so stuffed!! I got my new recipe books today together with the magazine and decided to cook the butternut squash risotto from the EE book. I make BNS risotto regularly but make it differently so it was nice to try something a new way.

I didn't follow the quantities as I was only cooking for myself and it was a bit more than I thought and I ate it all. I didn't realise how full I'd be until I'd finish and now I'm sitting here completely stuffed! :)

I have a big fruit salad in the fridge that I was going to pick on tonight - no chance of that!

Getting the recipe books and the magazine today was perfect timing as I felt a bit wobbly today! Now I'm feeling super excited about trying new recipes from the book - it's amazing the difference a day makes... ;)

Hi, just thought I would offer my support too.
I am originally from Kent so we have something in common!:D
Looks like you are doing really well and have had some really good support on here.:)
This forum is truly amazing.
Good luck:)

Back