The Calorie Counters chat thread

New day, new determination.

Good morning all.

One tip to get your metabolism up and at it first thing is to dance around or jog on the spot in front of the tv for 15-20 minutes or so - before or after coffee/breakfast. Just do it early. I find that this wakes me up properly, energises me, and gets me burning fat from the word 'go'.

Have a good day CC-ers.

Morning all :)

Well done Maria 3lbs is a fabulous loss...onwards and upwards. I am 2lbs off my first stone, so I have my fingers crossed for next Tuesdays WI.x

I too had a bit of a naughty day yesterday Pug so I am on a lowcal day...I will join you in the rumbley tummy brigade for the day... lol....an 8 mile walk is fabulous. How long did it take you to do? x

I do that GirlyGirl, have a twenty minute boogie in my bedroom as soon as I get up...it makes me feel quite sprightly...jeezzz fancy using the word sprightly...I am showing my age. :rotflmao: x

Have a great CC day y'all x x

Hi DB!

Yes - the first-thing boogie works a treat. And on tv recently someone said that for every 30 minutes of exercise you do, you burn calories faster for 90 minutes, afterwards.

Now that just has to be a good thing!

Well done Maria - 3lbs is fab. You will see from my signature that I've been a bit of a naughty old Barb lately but I'm back in the zone now. Going to take delivery of an 'elipitical cross trainer' next week which will help me burn some extra cals - even if I have over indulged!

Its all about balance really; I can be doing really well then drift off for something and I struggle to get back down to it. I'm hoping my new exercise machine will help me to stay really focussed.

Ohhhh nooooo another bad day - and the office are having a takeaway tomorrow to celebrate pay day and I don't have it in me to refuse - I'll start again Saturday.

Keep the walking though Yo-Yo, damage limitation is always good!

Thanks guys,

Barb your diary always has me hooked,as you say in your entries, getting your head in the right place really is most of the battle. Im off to america next week, and I just know I'm going to put on about a stone in 4 days of constant eating (really looking forward to it though:D)

Yo-yo, what sort of takeaway is it, my fave is indian and I know even now if someone offered me one I would struggle to say no, a nice chicken tikka, pilau rice, onion bharjis and pashwari naan, my idea of heaven.

Hope everyone is doing ok counting them pesky calories :D

Well done Maria - 3lbs is fab. You will see from my signature that I've been a bit of a naughty old Barb lately but I'm back in the zone now. Going to take delivery of an 'elipitical cross trainer' next week which will help me burn some extra cals - even if I have over indulged!

Its all about balance really; I can be doing really well then drift off for something and I struggle to get back down to it. I'm hoping my new exercise machine will help me to stay really focussed.

We bought an exercise bike and a multi gym thing, they are in the spare room living life as the token clothes horse :D, I must get back with it though.

You're right it is about balance, if you live life constantly being strict with food and scrutinizing every morsel, you start to feel its deprevation, whereas I find, if you get the balance right, you can enjoy the little naughties now and again ;)

Hi Barb, and very good luck with your exercise machine.

I must say that I personally do not believe JUST in 'getting your head in the right place'. When we overeat the reasons are as much physical as psychological. When we diet our bodies rebel. The body wants to save us, to protect us from starvation. When we eat much less, it assumes there is less food available. It has no idea that we are 'starving' deliberately.

The weight loss thing is very very difficult. It takes time -years, as it has with me - but is totally worth the effort. I have maintained for years now. I thank GOD and the Archangels and others, for that. It took commitment and hard work and patience on MY part. It doesn't happen overnight.

Should you slip, please do NOT think, 'my head is not in the right place'. Instead, think, 'okay. today/tonight my body prompted me to eat'.

I find that MUCH more helpful.

Good luck, hun!

Hi Barb, and very good luck with your exercise machine.

I must say that I personally do not believe JUST in 'getting your head in the right place'. When we overeat the reasons are as much physical as psychological. When we diet our bodies rebel. The body wants to save us, to protect us from starvation. When we eat much less, it assumes there is less food available. It has no idea that we are 'starving' deliberately.

The weight loss thing is very very difficult. It takes time -years, as it has with me - but is totally worth the effort. I have maintained for years now. I thank GOD and the Archangels and others, for that. It took commitment and hard work and patience on MY part. It doesn't happen overnight.

Should you slip, please do NOT think, 'my head is not in the right place'. Instead, think, 'okay. today/tonight my body prompted me to eat'.

I find that MUCH more helpful.

Good luck, hun!

I personally think it is more pyschological than physical, but that's just me and my relationship with food, horses for courses and all that, I use food as a comfort and a crutch, always have done and will always probably struggle with not doing so in the future.

Its not so much as advice I was giving, just more of a personal view or opinion ;)

Just to add, getting your head in the right place to successfully lose weight is not a flip in the ocean, well not for me anyway, I love food and I know my body isn't psychically (sp) craving an indian takeaway or pizza, so why do I give in and have it? It's because my mind wants it and my little chatterbox is trying to make me eat it, the naughty little imp!!!:D

Yes, I do use food for many more things that satisfying genuine hunger. I think I probably always will! There, thats the truth. However if MOST of the time I can be 'good', eat healthily, exercise more etc.. then when I do slip it's not much of a problem.

I want to lose weight - yes. I want to enjoy everyday whilst I'm losing weight - yes, as much as possible.

I greatly admire the folk that successfully do the VLCD - I know that I couldn't, I don't yearn to be slim THAT strongly.

So, yes it is a balance. I feel like after 30+years of dieting i am finally getting my head round the whole thing; It's not about being fat or thin it's about being healthy and comfortable.
Thats really all I want. When I get down to a size 16 - 18 I will probably be quite satisifed. Then I wnat to stay there - forever! I don;t want this dieting lark to dominate my life as it does now and has done for so long. Thats the real change I want in my life, for my weight to be just whatever it is and it not to be a factor I worry about too much.

Blimey, I've gone off at a tangent again.

Sorry everyone, but you know what I'm like!

Love

Maria, it is perfectly reasonable to 'fancy' something that tastes yummy. It's normal. We are designed to eat and enjoy our food. Indian food is great, love it.
It is tricky, cos I am the worst one out there to advise you in some ways as I do tend to enjoy the treat and worry about it afterwards' However, with Indian, if I REALLY fancy one but my cal count says no, I aim at 'tikka' prawns or chicken with no sauce, boiled rice and salad! Better than nothing!

I love tikka, may have a bash at making something involving it in my grub :D

I'm liking the fact that most foods now have the calorie, salt, fat content on the front with the percentages too, even McDonalds.

Yes, cal counting is a zillion times easier than it was 30 years ago! Digital scales are great too- you really can weigh accurately, which is important.

I'm afraid to say I'm off out for dinner soon (see, I told you I was bad influence!), so catch up tomorrow.

Love

Tesco diet kick...40 cals in a litre bottle. 20 if you get the Cranberry version.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi There,

I am a calorie counter as well – find me over on the Diaries thread rambling along!
I am 5’5” and trying to stick to between 900 and 1200 calories a day. I don’t have a digital scale so try and count as accurately as I can from food packaging and guestimations. I am also trying to get in a brisk 30 min walk every day on my way to work. I started a week and half ago at 16.3 (horrific) and am 15.8 today so have lost 8 pounds to date. I am a bridesmaid for my best friend (size 8) at the end of July and have an already purchased size 14 dress to get into. So I need to get to 11.7 by then. My ultimate goal is 10 stone, like to reach that by the end of September for an American Holiday we have booked. So 7 months to loose 5.7 stone, can I do it?

I have done VLCD’s before and had great success but not with maintaining (obviously). With the VLCD (Lipotrim & Cambridge) I felt I had to give up my whole life and sit at home guzzling water for months. This diet, while way slower, allows me to have a life and not obsess about food and dream and hallucinate about eating. I haven’t binged so far as I am listening to my body and I can eat!!

So, that’s me!

Hi There,

I am a calorie counter as well – find me over on the Diaries thread rambling along!
I am 5’5” and trying to stick to between 900 and 1200 calories a day. I don’t have a digital scale so try and count as accurately as I can from food packaging and guestimations. I am also trying to get in a brisk 30 min walk every day on my way to work. I started a week and half ago at 16.3 (horrific) and am 15.8 today so have lost 8 pounds to date. I am a bridesmaid for my best friend (size 8) at the end of July and have an already purchased size 14 dress to get into. So I need to get to 11.7 by then. My ultimate goal is 10 stone, like to reach that by the end of September for an American Holiday we have booked. So 7 months to loose 5.7 stone, can I do it?

I have done VLCD’s before and had great success but not with maintaining (obviously). With the VLCD (Lipotrim & Cambridge) I felt I had to give up my whole life and sit at home guzzling water for months. This diet, while way slower, allows me to have a life and not obsess about food and dream and hallucinate about eating. I haven’t binged so far as I am listening to my body and I can eat!!

So, that’s me!

Welcome mitten,

I'd say your goals are achievable, and I totally agree with you about the VLCDs, they are great, but for me, it felt like I was sacrificing so much to stick to it, and the time really dragged.

I like the cal counting, as at least you can have some sort of social life.

Good luck with your plan, and well done on your losses so far!!!!

Maria x

Helloooooooo and welcome Mitten :wavey:

You're plan sounds very doable and I wish you good luck.

I have never done a VLCD as I like my food too much but I do have the odd protein shake as a replacement meal as I find them very filling.
My cals work out between 1000 and 1500 a day and I am currently losing 3lbs a week...but I expect it to slow down soon.
I am however guzzling plenty of water, peeing loads and cursing when I have to get up at 3am lol but that's part of wanting to get skinny I guess.

Well done on your weightloss so far...8lbs in ten days is a fabulous start

all the best Boo x

Hello everyone - I'm reporting in to say I desperately need to get back on the wagon now.

I overate, and overate and overate yesterday until it made me sick! I was up half the night on the toilet gurgling away, I've felt bloated, sluggish, I've been windy with bad eggy breath and I've generally felt downright unpleasant after my day long binge.

Did that stop me today? Nope. I had to go to another meeting, luckily there was no buffet involved but they did have individual packs of lovely biscuits and a free hot drinks machine serving creamichoc (I don't drink tea or coffee) and I had three of those, each time with 2 x choc-chip cookies. I only didn't have more because I felt like the guy sat opposite was watching me in disgust/amazement (meeting was only 1.5 hours long).

Then on my return to work, I had ordered a grilled fish burger which was really spicy and tasty, but the bread roll was ginormous, and it came with a load of fries. I'd also ordered a caramel waffle, which was served with syrup, bananas and squirty cream. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the waffle was burnt on the inside and rock hard so I couldn't eat it - blooming rip off, I wont be ordering that again!!! But it didn't stop when I got home, and I've continued to stuff my face since getting in.

I'm actually looking forward to getting back on the healthy eating wagon tomorrow because I feel so disgusting. I've also reached a point where I only have one pair of size 12 trousers that I can wear without that gross belly overhang so something needs to be done! I have to do these two meetings every month, and one is always the day after the next, and I can't be going off on a two day eating orgy just because I know there is buffet and biscuits available.

My exercising is also suffering. If I've had a bad diet day I think "stuff it, no point in exercising, the damage is done" so I haven't even been forcing myself out for a walk at lunchtime - usually 2,500 steps.

I did think I might try a Lighter Life quick fix and I still am thinking about it, a week or so on Shakes but I don't want to go without going to the gym in case I get out of the habit, and I don't think I will have the energy to go to the gym on such low cals. I might need to do it before I go on holiday at the end of May, but let me see if I can give calorie counting another chance.

Everyone else is doing brilliantly, by the way!

So, back onto it tomorrow!!

Back