The Dreaded Sag...

sparklingshootingstar

Ask the dibble~
I've been reading this site (with the exception of sleep) since I joined a few days ago (out sick from work and unable to do much else unfortunately) - and it's seriously motivating!!

One thing I dont see any posts/threads on is the dreaded 'sag' after one looses a substancial amount of weight. I'm truly hoping that the reason why I havent seen any posts is because it's not an issue on this diet - I've also been through the before/after thread and it doesnt look like people who've had amazing success have had an issue - but I wanted to raise the question.

Are we getting an excessive amount of protein in these shakes so as to protect our muscle and not have the (sounds crude) skin sag after loosing our goal amounts of weight? I'm welllllllllllllllllll overweight, and if I was to loose *an undecided goal weight* on this diet - am I going to be looking at a tummy tuck in a years time?

I guess any info would be great... :)

Hi Star, I can only comment on my experience of L.T I lost 2 stone by myself in 2010 and then lost 6 stone with L.T and my skin just kinda adjusted with me as I was losing, I didnt have any excess skin that a bit of exercise and toning wouldnt cure. I have read a few post about this subject in 2010, maybe if you use the search feature you will be able to read more on the subject from past posts. Hope this helps :)

Hey Sparky,

Hmmm the dreaded sag! I have been using cocoa butter anti stretch mark cream on my potential saggy bits, and also doing Pilates (via a DVD) to strengthen up muscles underneath the skin to hopefully minimise the sag and locate my long lost tummy muscles. Sag is unfortionately one of the side effects of fast weight loss, but touch wood at 38 and after 3 kids my skin seems to be coping OK so far with the 5 stone loss. No bingo wings or saggy inside leg skin (which is where I expected it to be honest!) as for the tummy - well ...... still trying to work the muscles (Should have started the Pilates a lot earlier!).

I think the lack of skin elsewhere is due to the fact I have done a moderate amount of exercise while doing this .... so a lot of walking, I have a step machine with hand bungie straps and "weight" training with my tin of beans when watching the telly!

Hope this helps!

From what i hear this is quite a personal thing, i.e it seems to differ person to person. The shakes do provide us with a lot of protein which does stop muscle mass from wasting, but im not sure as to its effects on excess skin. I think, unfortunatly, for some people it can happen and it may not always be controllable. My chemist says it can sometimes be down to genes and the sheer amount of weight you have to lose. I weighed in pretty close to your starting weight and she said that i shouldnt have a problem, so you may not wither. But other factors like smoking do.

Theorectically all the water we're drinking should help alot with this, but exercise also is the way to go, not forgetting to moisturise and all that lovely stuff. Im using a combination of Bio Oil on my stretch marks and some firming lotion from Avon, which was recommended to me by a friend who had a gastric band, was originally 23stone and is now as trim and toned as a gymnist (whereas before, bless her, she had a lot of 'hanging bits') so i figure if it worked for her....

Ah crap - I smoke!! FML! Ha ha!

Heading for my first WI tomorrow, I'll say it to the pharm - might pick up some BioOil, just incase!!

I'm trying to keep up cycling 2 miles a day (I know it's not much) - but I'm exhausted after it, I feel like I don't have enough energy for it! Maybe that's just in the beginning though!! Fingers crossed!!

Energy will come after the first week or so. Coco butter works a treat too, cheaper than bio oil!

You tried them electric tabs?

I have been told it takes your skin 3 times longer to adjust to your weight loss. I' m hopping this is true as I have bingo wings! Rest is ok though! x

the electric tabs are electric cigs! I have a friend who was smoking 60-70 cigs a day and has started the electric ones and now reckons she can get down to under 10 real ones a day, and they are cheaper, and you can smoke them in some restaurants/pubs....after LT of course!

I have a it of tummy sag after having my daughter and at the age of 24 i can honestly say, a bit of saggy skin is nothing, id rather have that than a big fat belly any day!!

I'm going to have to look into this electric cigarette thing - sounds perfect!!!

I agree - I'd definitely rather a lil sag than the spare tyre!! Ha ha!

Back