How we all doing?:confused:

My scales are being stubborn...arghhhhhh!:cool:

How can I boost metabolism eh?;)

Hi ladies:rolleyes:

How we all doing?:confused:

My scales are being stubborn...arghhhhhh!:cool:

How can I boost metabolism eh?;)

Hi Olijames

I can give you the advice that I was given by a Doctor PhD MRCP and Clinical Lecturer and Clinician Scientist Fellow and that advice was "Start eating a proper maintenance diet".

I didn't want to do it, stubborn girl that I am, but I had to listen to reason and to a professional. Since I increased my calorie intake to 750 calories and walked for half an hour a day I dropped another kilo. Then the same thing happened the next week.

I think it will do you more good to stop sole-sourcing for a while. Give your body the message you are going to stop starving it. Eat sensibly, get active and I will be very surprised if your scales are not showing a kilo loss next week.

Regards
Marylyn xxx

Aw thanks Marilyn...Im still undecided and confused about the whole thing! Scales stuck now at 11st 4lb, I am picking chicken and tuna...big deal i hear the population yell? Im defo gonna go swimming tomorrow see of a bit of exercise helps to boost things along....;)

So are you doing CD maintenance or your own version...any chance of a copy of your menu?????:eek:

Cheers marilyn, ive enjoyed reading your journey and I know others have too. You talk such sense whilst people like me have their heads up their arses! Im pretty determined to get 11lbs off by christmas..dy think its realistic!:rolleyes:

Hope all is well with you! Any more test results....:)

Nic, if I could send you the stomach bug I caught on Saturday you could drop another 3lbs just like that! Not much fun though. I'm still having trouble with food quantities, just don't seem able to go over about 1000 calories yet.
All I can suggest is pretty much what Marylyn says, exercise gets things moving, plus a bit more food to support it. These plateaus seem increasingly common as we get nearer target.

Maintainer, good to hear it's possible to keep this weight off, I'm dreading letting it creep up again.

Maintainer, good to hear it's possible to keep this weight off, I'm dreading letting it creep up again.

Noooooo, that's just NOT an option.

Once at target, remove ALL clothes from your wardrobe which no longer fit you properly (also, any with elasticated waists!).

Work out your meal plans well in advance (I still do this - it makes shopping easier, treats don't cause guilt as they're "planned", and I know exactly what I'm to eat and when so none of those last minute "what can I eat now?" thoughts!)

As soon as I feel a waistband becoming a little tighter (ok and I'm also a manic weigher inner!), I have to tighten up my eating habits straight away as I have NO bigger clothes!

Easy peasy! (NOT!!)

I find the best way for me to maintain is to continue with my healthy eating plan Monday to Friday when I'm at work (plenty of roast or grilled chicken with veg or salad; or other lean meats with same; fruit for snacks; and similar for "dinner". I rarely if ever eat bread, potatoes, rice etc during the week.

Saturdays I usually have some fresh bread at some point (and freeze the rest of the loaf quick!)

Sunday is a "free day". Sometimes has been abused, I admit, but I'm getting better at it by planning my treats... and, after all, next Sunday is but 7 days away, right?

Maintenance is a journey in itself... but sooooo worthwhile and I'm soooo determined not to undo all my hard work, that helps :)

I've just had my first alcohol in over 7 weeks, it is pathetic how little affects me now! My diet stabilisation plan requires that I have two "gala" meals per week, they allow for dinner invites, eating out etc. They are still controlled in a way, only one glass of wine or whatever, only one serving of any item. It has been a major shock, and a very pleasant one, to eat with some true freedom. I limited the fats and carbs but didn't cut them out completely, and feel quite replete after two quite small courses. I hope it won't have a bad effect on my weight, tomorrow I will be limiting my food again. Getting used to occasional special meals is all part of eating again.

I can't be totally good tomorrow, my sister in law is coming to lunch so I will eat then, my first bread since starting dieting. Only one slice, and then I will just have a small salad in the evening.

Maintainer, it would be a real change to my habits if I shopped from a list, I live in town and often get things on the market because they are unexpectedly there. I think I will have to cook and freeze sensible meals for myself so there is something quick. Being out so much in the evenings makes it easy not to nibble but doesn't give me much time for food preparation.

Being realistic! Be kind to yourself

:) Olijames, you really must not be so hard on yourself. Because we are on the last stone I'm afraid it is unrealistic to expect your body to shed 11lbs of fat in the next 3 weeks.

I thought with the way my own fat melt-down was working initially, going back to June, 2/3 lbs a week average that I would be down to my goal for Christmas too. But I had to reconcile myself that weight loss was slowing up as soon as I stopped sole-sourcing and started having little extras. Not a lot, sometimes a pot of 0% yoghurt with some fruit which took my calorie count to around 500.

I was terribly frustrated, because it so unfair that you are eating so little and the body is stubbornly refusing to release any more fat.

There is a reason for this and I might be repeating myself, I do sometimes - my age, but this is why. When we lose weight, especially stones of weight our bodies require a lower intake of calories per se. This is because there is less of us to maintain and for the lucky guys and gals who can start losing weight on 1500 calories, lose a stone, plateau and cut down to 1200, plateau, cut down to a 1000, perhaps reach goal, or plateau again, take it further down to 850 under medical guidance it is quite straight forward.

This is the big HOWEVER for those of us on vlcds. We absolutely cannot take our calories any lower. I was on 420 cals with Lipotrim which would have carried on working if I had been able to stick with it, but I needed a break and once I hit 500 calories, that was it, stabilization.

So I had two choices, either stick at the sole-sourcing 420 cals or go on a proper maintenance plan.

I chose the maintenance plan for three reasons. 1) I couldn't stick with the 420 cals. It is harder to get back into when you have had a break which I had had. It isn't impossible, but it is hard and I thought I deserved a break after 6 months.

2) It made sense to start a maintenance plan if I was going to stabilize at 500 calories anyway. I thought I may as well have a little something to eat when I fancy something.

3) I will sole-source again when I have had a break and by creating a deficit of calories from 850 or 750 down to 420 again will make the sole-sourcing thing work again.

I will tell you what I have in the next message, because it may not go through if there is too much being said.

Marylyn xx

My not so interesting diet.

I really like the milkshakes, so I have 2 of those for breakfast. = 274 calories. That keeps me satisfied for 4 hours and I drink sparkling water in between.

If I fancy a change I have an oz of oats made with water and a drop of skimmed milk = 120 cals approx and I'll have a shake for the vitamins. That gives me 250 cals approx.

Then I might nibble on one of the CD bars which I cut up and put in the freezer and have a chew on that with a pint of sparkling water. This takes my intake to 425 thereabouts. I'll take my two dogs out for a walk for half an hour and I think that probably burns off about 100 calories, we amble about 'cos they're old.

That leaves a whopping 325 calories to have for an evening meal. I find that because I have been on Lipotrim for so long my tummy has really shrunk and I will split these calories usually so that I have something savoury and something sweet.

Quorn is very low carb and high protein and it contains 80 cals a serving only. If you make a kind of bolognese with it with onions and peppers and "Sainsbury's" Spiced Tomato Tagine Sauce one third of a jar contains 76 cals 1.9 fat. I don't count the veggies as calories and I use spray oil. This quorn dish has 156 cals. If you want a little carb "Ainsley Harriott's" Spice sensation Cous cous is very quick and easy to make and contains 123 cals per 100g cooked. Well I have 25 g of that so that meal = 188 calories and believe me it is very satisfying.

That gives me 137 left and if I want another shake I have it or I have some 0% greek yoghurt. At 52 cals per 100g; it does come in a 150g pot, watch that - I have a little fresh fruit to make up the other 85 cals and have a drizzle of honey.

Other good high protein choices are turkey, quorn sausages, quorn meat balls. You can make very quick meals with Quorn, add light bolognese sauce. You can even have a little pasta in moderation. Steam cuisine veg is good and fast. I do like cooking when I have the time, but opt for easy things when I've been out at work. Have a nice salad with steam cuisine veg added so that it doesn't appear so cold on on Winters night. Balsamic vinegar as a flavouring is lovely.

If you want to take your calories higher than my 750, have the yoghurt with some chopped pecan nuts and a crushed meringue.

You can eat well and maintain. You may even lose weight as I have been doing. I'm 11stones now.

Remember it is hard to pull in all your nutrients even on 1500 calories, so the CD shakes are very good. Or a multi-vitamin.

I would recommend The Low-Carb Cookbook by Amanda Cross, who gives fast track plans and Keep on tracking plans. Lots of good advice on nutrition.

Carry on being amazing girls. Look after your figure and everyone else will looking at it too.

Marylyn with love and regardsxxx

No more test results as yet.

I'm waiting to hear about the before and after fat biopsy. It has something to do with my own steroid in the fat and how much fat hormone was being produced when I was 13st 7lb and what the fat biopsy is showing now.

Maybe it will show that there is less of the fat hormone being produced now that I have lost weight. Hope so.

As you may know, as females when we have extra fat on our bodies, a fat hormone is produced which tends to keep some of us in the frustrating position of stability when we are trying hard to lose weight. The fat hormone likes to keep the status quo.

So, you can appreciate the problems that obesity can cause to some people. Luckily, I was never obese, but at 5ft 8in and 13st 7lb I was a frumpy size 18/20 and it just didn't suit me.

I think weight can suit some people. They can look beautiful and as long as they are healthy and their weight isn't causing them any problems then why should they change?

The facts seem to tell us however, that an extra stone or two is bad for us so........

What is clear is that dieting is never easy. It is a challenge for everyone whatever plan you follow. I'm just very glad that we can all share our thoughts and experiences together and I feel confident for all of us that we will definitely reach our goals. Just keep motivated and remember that maintaining is a challenge too.

Marylyn xx

Marilyn you are such an inspiration and I do so love reading your posts. Your positivity shines through and a little rubs off on me when I feel 'stuck!' I'm convinced i have the fat hormone....maybe not maybe just a lack of willpower for the last stone mission!:rolleyes:

The quorn meals sound yummy and the cal info you gave for sauces etc is really helpful. I think I need to speak to my LLC this week about the way forward. How muxh have you lost following this management plan. I'll bet at 5'8 and 11st you look amazing!!! What size are you at with that? :)

I'm swimming today and may try to do a little gym work, cardio stuff. Feeling bunged up (not in the rear area again, thank god!) snotty, coughing etc but I will grin and bear it in a last ditch attemot to boost metabolism and de-stabilise!!!;)

Hugs all round ladies and a special big virtual hug for Marilyn! You're truly amazing....you will succeed!:D

Nic, great to hear you're going to be exercising again, to my mind it is the most important thing at this point. Hope the coldy symptoms vanish, I often find that exercise makes me fight off illnesses better, can't think of a logical explanation for that.

Marylyn, I'll be interested to see the results of the fat biopsy, it all sounds a bit scary somehow. Are you actually losing on 750 or just maintaining?

I haven't lost any more (still that elusive 3lbs to go) but not too worried. I've been eating a bit more, and more freely without going mad and my weight hasn't gone up. But everything is moving around a bit, I can now get into an old pair of size 10 jeans which I couldn't do up last week, this is a relief because I was running out of jeans and didn't fancy scouring the shops for something cheap which fitted OK. I did have a slice of bread yesterday, first taste in ages, but mostly I have salads and a sort of pancake which is part of the Dukan diet. It is made with egg white, oat and wheat bran and fromage frais, I get two small galettes from the mix, total calories 44.

Maintainer, I am pretty much keeping to low carb too, and not going overboard on fats. Looks like you've really got it worked out.

Hugs to everyone.

Hi Clairejen...:) Oh the joy you must feel in a size 10...good on yer girl! And good on yer for not worrying about that 3lb..i have 12lb to go and it all seems such a big challenge whereas when i was 15st 7 , 12lb vanished almost overnight! maybe my head isnt in the right place, Im getting impatient with my body.....really enjoying reading the stuff M has posted its helped keep me sane tbh!;)

What the D Diet? Never heard of that one!:rolleyes:

Sending you size 10 vibes...in the hope that they will boomerang right back!:p

Thanks Nic and mutual response sent.

Now at the risk of sounding an old woman I really must advise you not to go exercising when you have a nasty virus.

You must rest to give your body the opportunity to produce antibodies to fight the cold, infection, virus whatever.

Nic, you're not looking after yourself properly at all and this kind of pushing yourself will be very counter-productive.

My husband is resting now with a headache and tummy ache and if he was overweight, which he isn't - greyhound breed - what kind of madness would it be if he said "I'm just going to jog around the park and go swimming". This would make him feel much worse.

So, please be good to yourself - there's no hurry to lose the last stone. In fact, the more you try to rush it and make hard work of it, the more difficult and frustrating it will become.

I'm comfortable now in a size 14 jeans. I bought a petite cross over top from Dorothy Perkins in a size 12 as it was a flattering cut. I'm happier with my size, but I'm a stickler for trying to get to my own goal of 10stones which will give me my waistline of 24 inches back to me.

I'll send you a photo if you give me your email address, but I'm quite shy about posting my pics for everyone to see.

I have a beef and kidney casserole cooking in the slow-cooker - courtesy of that Brian Turner who I saw on "This Morning" yesterday. He was making Beef and Ale Pie. I won't be having the pie, but I'm very receptive to suggestion and this is why it is best if I avoid looking at the kind of adverts which could trigger off pangs for things better avoided at this stage.

See what your Advisor suggests, I would be interested to hear her advice. Tell her, by all means, what I was advised and by whom. As I say I have been on a 750 calorie plan and am losing around a kilo a week on it. I had stablilized on 500 calories, because my body had become so used to the very low intake and decided to stubbornly refuse to give up any more fat.

Paradoxically, by increasing intake the weight started to shift again. This is the first time I have experienced what they call starvation mode. I used to wonder was there really such a thing. It appears there is.

Do ask your counsellor's advice and see what she comes up with.

Good Luck now Nic

Marylyn xxx

Hi Marilyn:)

:mad: I'm resting and slowly but surely losing my voice, feeling muggy, if that makes sense!

I will be seeing my LLC on thursday. Im a bit dubious about bringing up moving away from SS as thats the LL way and I know thats prob what they have to advise us to do. Im not sure they will accept the stabiliation mode..but hey..I WILL give it a go. They may think its a cop out but OMG Ive been SSing mainly for almost 10months...yikes...its been a SS year!:rolleyes:

:confused: Youre right Im not being kind to myself right now..infact Im pretty down about various things. Miscarriages, our consultation with Fertility dr on 20th December..whether i can work Part time in january...we're interviewing on wednesday for a teacher to job share. Hoping one of them will be suitable...x Im getting a bit agitated with hubs job and the hours he puts in...thats a 4year story i could write a book on...Im contemplating getting in touch with my sons biological father who he's never met (hes almost 9)..Im not in touch with any of my family (another long story..thats a 30year one..a real epic):confused:

:cool: I guess everythings getting on top of me now and resiting the comfort of food makes emotions all the more raw! I'll get there and youre right theres no rush..except i wanted to be size 12 by christmas, like i was back in june/july...its a drag right now!

:D Thanks so so much for your virtual support, I really appreciate it.

Hugs
x

M..thanks for PM! Will defo try out the link!:eek:

OK girls....get this and I welcome the 'science' bit....:)

last night i indulged (that sounds positive when really it wasn't although maybe it was!) I had .....:(

:rolleyes: 4 large vodkas and coke (and now im craving tea and toast....had the tea bit contemplating the toast bit..!)
:rolleyes: 3 vienesse whilrs
:rolleyes: snack a jacks
:rolleyes: dark chocolate

Yesterday I weighed 11st 4lbs and today i weigh 11st 2lbs....so i have dropped by 2lbs by eating crap....Im thinking maybe the whirls will stick to thighs and show on the scales in the next few days.....???:confused: :confused:

What do you guys think?:rolleyes:

BTH I feel crappy about my eating/mini binge and intend to be back on track today!:eek:

Nic, when I had a bad cold my body seriously craved carbs. I thought hard about it and decided if I felt that urgent a need then I should go with it, so I had a piece of cake, not a particularly naughty one but cake all the same. I felt a lot better for it too. And then I researched it, and discovered that your body cannot make red blood cells without carbs, and is very slow making the white ones without carbs. So when you are ill and you need the white cells it is important that you have enough carbs available for your body to create them. I actually lost more weight that week than any other too!

On the binge front, it is quite common for things eaten to take some time to be transformed into glycogen then fat and stored so the additional weight doesn't show up straight away. If you imagine an extreme situation, drink a couple of pints of water and weigh yourself straight away, you've gained 2.5lbs because that's what the water weighs. Eat a small chocolate bar and its acutal weight won't even show on the scales, but it's obvious there's way more calories in that than the water. I hope you don't find you've done much damage from the carb-fest, I wouldn't have thought it could be too harmful. Are you managing to drink much? I found I just couldn't keep that up when I felt ill.

I'm sending my size 10 vibes to you (somewhat tight still but hopefully that will improve!). The Dukan diet is a bit like Atkins, low carb and also low fat, high protein but a lot of that is dairy. They insist on this bran pancake (or you can use the bran in other things) to provide fibre, and it is very nice and very low calorie. It's a french diet so the food is really good, and they understand about wanting the occasional glass of wine and special meal.

Marylyn, a kilo a week is a good loss, I'm pleased to hear your weight is moving again. Congrats on getting into a 12 top, I'm still rather top-heavy, always was so I suppose that won't change.

Thanks claire jen! Seems im making lots of red/white cells..feeling much better!!!! Will let you now it affects the whole picture...been sliding for a while so to get the slip outta the way is kinda a relief..well thats what im telling myself..simply cant beat myself up anymore about it!:mad:

Nic, you've had a rotten time lately, don't punish yourself any more. It's good to hear you're feeling better, there are times when a bit of food is just what we need. I hope you feel fully recovered soon, plenty of time to pick up the diet regime then in whatever way is going to suit you best.

I've been having my weekly pp (pure protein) day today, it is rather odd. I'm still allowed the galette, I can have fromage frais and yogurt, and eggs and meat, fish etc. So I had half a galette with quark for breakfast and chicken and bacon omelette for lunch, and will have galette with fromage frais and prawns tonight (maybe even petit pot vanillee if I can be arsed). It's only once a week so I'll get used to it in time.

Weight down 1lb this morning, only two more to go, except I'll probably put on a couple over the weekend when we are in Germany. I'm quite happy with this stabilisation period, and really not getting the urge to do anything stupid, even yesterday when I fancied a biscuit I just told myself to wait, its only one day after all. And today I'm not wanting anything yet. My dancing teacher commented last night on how much weight I had lost, I was pleased because people don't like to say anything until they're sure you'll be happy with it.

Hope things are going well for the rest of you too.

Back