The really slow loss team!

Keep watching that tape measure and feeling your looser clothes and don't pay too much attention to the scales for a couple of weeks Lou. It will start to come off again.

Have a look at this article - it may help explain why you are "gaining" when you expect to be "losing".

Do Muscles Retain Water After A New Exercise Program? | LIVESTRONG.COM

When your doing loads of exercise don't worry about losses on the scales if your clothes feel better and you do that's way more important than a weight measurement. Xx

Thanks for the link annya. Very interesting!! I looked on the JM website and a couple of people posted saying they gained 2 pound their first week!!! I would have cried. I am definitely smaller my face feels slimmer ad my double chin a lot less lol. I'll just hang on in there. Hopefully I'll soon reap the benefits!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

That's my Lou - good on ya!

A sneaky peek for me is showing a STS so far this week despite loads of cardio (Pooch25K, elliptical and cycling) and only 2 days off the shred at the weekend whilst I was away which is disappointing, but I am feeling so energised and my flabby belly is looking so much smaller (as is my backside!) that I am happy to carry on even if the scales aren't dropping.

My first week of 30DS I STS then a small gain then I started to lose again, but only small amounts. We both have about a stone to lose now and this is where the REALLY hard work begins, especially for you as you are aiming for a lower BMI than me. TBH I think the bigger loses on JM programmes are seen in folks that are a lot bigger than us and will lose weight faster - the biggest loss I have heard of so far with someone close to target was 6lbs in 30 days which is about 1.5lbs/week and she was STARVING (ie 1000 cals or less a day) so it will all soon go back on........ some people never learn :rolleyes:

Chip, chip, chip and drip, drip, drip...... we will do this :D

I feel thinner even on my face I KNOW I've lost fat I think it must just be water retention. I will not be defeated. I'm just making another success express meal. No slacking off for me. Baking a birthday cake for my 2 sisters tonight. Their birthdays are a day apart and one is 18 the other 21. Im going to attempt a 2 tier cake!! Wish me luck I think I'll need it!!!

I am gutted I gained cos my first reaction was to throw a tantrum and give in but I'm trying to fight that reaction. Its just one week and I have lost inches and toned up so I will ignore it but if I gain again next week I'm afraid I may lose my motivation x

Inspirational Lou. Thank you. You are doing so well. :)

So after 2 weeks of STS I finally lost 1lb. Phew. X

Thanks annya and fabulous. I feel strangely unfazed today. I know I'm being good so screw the scales. I AM smaller I can see it and feel it and tbh I don't care what weight I admits my size that matters. If I stay this weight but drop 2 dress sized through exercise then what does it matter really??? I am marching forward with my head held high- who's with me??

Annya a sts is good for an increase in exercise, k bet the next couple of weeks you have great losses. I agree about the weight gain exercise thing when you have less to lose, on biggest loser some of them weren't losing some weeks and they had a lot more to lose than us and had the 24/7 help on hand and being pushed to their limits exercise wise. So if they have weeks of rubbish losses then it stands to reason we will. My knee is hurting today and I've noticed while I'm exercising that all my joints crack :/ not sure what that's all about lol. Hubby is taking kids out this afternoon so in going to do it then. I have 1.1kg weights to do it with. They seem really heavy lol. Is it 1lb weights you use or 1kg??

Last edited:
Thanks annya and fabulous. I feel strangely unfazed today. I know I'm being good so screw the scales. I AM smaller I can see it and feel it and tbh I don't care what weight I admits my size that matters. If I stay this weight but drop 2 dress sized through exercise then what does it matter really??? I am marching forward with my head held high- who's with me?? This is my thinking exactly Lou - I have been saying for weeks that I don't care how I get smaller I just want there to be less of me than there is now! I think one can get too focussed on what the scales say and end up what the Yanks call "skinnyfat" - i.e. a normal BMI but still flabby and out of shape.

Annya a sts is good for an increase in exercise, k bet the next couple of weeks you have great losses. I am looking at a potential STS again this week, but TBH I am not at all bothered as I am continuing to lose inches and can even get into my size 12 jeans now (with a squeeze!) which was impossible a fortnight ago so something is happening :D I agree about the weight gain exercise thing when you have less to lose, on biggest loser some of them weren't losing some weeks and they had a lot more to lose than us and had the 24/7 help on hand and being pushed to their limits exercise wise. So if they have weeks of rubbish losses then it stands to reason we will. Yep, it's not always as straightforward as you are lead to believe. My knee is hurting today and I've noticed while I'm exercising that all my joints crack :/ not sure what that's all about lol. More likely to be ligaments than joints - have you got a knee support you can wear if you have a dicky knee? Try following the easier exercises for a few days - 30DS is very hard on the knees and shoulders - which is why some folks quit. Hubby is taking kids out this afternoon so in going to do it then. I have 1.1kg weights to do it with. They seem really heavy lol. Is it 1lb weights you use or 1kg?? I am using 1kg weights now, but I started with large tins which weighed around 600g each and worked up to heavier weights. There is a move in Level 2 called chair squats and V raises and it absolutely KILLS my arms and shoulders even with these weighs.....owwwwww! Some of the rowing type exercises I am now doing with 2kg weights for one set of reps then going back to 1kg for the second set of reps but I don't want to go any higher than that as my biceps are already getting impressive enough :eek: - so much for not being able to build muscle whilst in calorie deficit.... WRONG!

Pump it up girlie ;)

Well done Charl

Like Lou I put on 0.5lb but that is over two weeks with no focus at all on healthy eating or SW due to my operation etc.

I thought it would be more and I am happy with that now to try and get back on track

Well done losers - the tortoise team seems to be speeding up all of a sudden.

Latte - that's actually a great result chica. Just be kind to yourself for a few more days - don't worry too much but do try and make any snacks as healthy as possible. Even if you can't stick to SF food - pick the free stuff and try and avoid the naughtiness.

Lou - just keep shredding on. It will tighten and tone and you will LOOK SLIMMER even if you don't actually lose pounds.

When I was at college I weighed the same as I do now - just short of 12 st. And I took a size 12. I'm a 14 top and 16 bum now.
The reason being I was at PE college and doing 3 hours of exercise in class a day and more in the evening in the gym or pool.
I was deffo slim for my frame and always felt good.
When I left college I dropped 2½ st for my wedding and didn't shift a single size as I stopped nearly all the exercise (I never taught PE).
I did lose a lot of the bulky biceps - which was the worry for my wedding day! I did not want to look like Charles Atlas (for those who remember him).

Also remember that as you get older you naturally put on weight and thicken round the waist - ok some people avoid this but most don't.
It's all to do with your changing hormones and middle-age spread - which actually is a real phenomena and bi-product of the meopause.

Weight is not the be-all-and-end-all. Body shape is a good indication.

Hey everyone, I'm new and I was wondering if I could join in on your thread? I might have slightly bigger losses at first as I've just restarted SW after around 9 months, put more weight on orgingally. I have uber loads to lose and I will be taking the long road once things settle down it seems to be little losses but this suits me better as I do love food and it's great to lose weight but stuff your face :)

Lorna!

Welcome Lorna - the slow scenic works for all of us here. And you get loads of support when you are losing slowly!

Ooh latte I'm do chuffed you only out half on well done hunni!!!! X

Nice to hear others experiences of weight loss and exercise. Love the saying skinny fat lol. But so true. That's what I was before I had my last baby. I weighed 10.7 but was a whole dress size bigger than what I was when i previously weighed 10.7.

I actually don't know when I'll fit the shred in today. Right now the girls are up. Hubby took the day off cos I volunteered to throw a party for my 2 sisters so I'm cooking all afternoon then once they leave it will be kids in bed and our programmes are on and hubster will no way let me interrupt them. Plus mil is coming round tonight. So unless I can magic another 2 hours into the day it's gonna have to be a rest day. I'm having really bad period pains. God I hope that means I'm FINALLY coming on.fingers crossed for me!! X

Ha-ha Pom ..... I remember Charles Atlas!! I agree totally with body shape - I used to be much more hour glass shaped but I have the classic thick post-menopausal waist now :( and look rather more like a tree trunk that an hour glass :eek: Thank Christ for steel boned corsets if I want to look glam is all I can say :D

Welcome Lorna. The good old "scenic route" is fine by us, although some seem to be on a previously unheard of roll with losses just now - I am sure it won't last though ;)

Ooh latte I'm do chuffed you only out half on well done hunni!!!! X

Nice to hear others experiences of weight loss and exercise. Love the saying skinny fat lol. But so true. That's what I was before I had my last baby. I weighed 10.7 but was a whole dress size bigger than what I was when i previously weighed 10.7.

I actually don't know when I'll fit the shred in today. Right now the girls are up. Hubby took the day off cos I volunteered to throw a party for my 2 sisters so I'm cooking all afternoon then once they leave it will be kids in bed and our programmes are on and hubster will no way let me interrupt them. Plus mil is coming round tonight. So unless I can magic another 2 hours into the day it's gonna have to be a rest day. I'm having really bad period pains. God I hope that means I'm FINALLY coming on.fingers crossed for me!! X

It won't hurt to have a rest day (well not as much as it would if you shredded....ha, ha!).

Seriously though Lou, there are those who do 2 days on shred and one day off doing some other exercise and I may well do this myself as Level 2 is just KILLING me :eek:I am supposed to be changing up to Level 3 in 2 days but I so can't see that happening as I can't manage the plyos at all :( and TBH I don't think I ever will as they are just so hard on the shoulders and knees!

Still, even Jillian herself does say just follow Anita if you can't manage Natalie (who has to be at least 25 years younger and a couple of stone lighter than me!) and you will still see results..... and I am..... so I am NOT busting a gut.

Oh, and did I mention I have actually been mad enough to order a boxed set of 4 JM workouts? I am just waiting for the men with the white coats to turn up on my doorstep ;)

Last edited:
Back