The Road Less Travelled

irish coffee

Hmmm, well that didnt work, guess it really needs sugar to make it float. So I gave it a good stir to disperse the cream and took a mouthful. It was disgusting! got poured straight down the sink. So much for my bright idea.

Hi Lynn,
just thought i'd give you some irish coffee hope. I used to work in a bar and make them all the time for people.
You'll be happy to know it's not the sugar that makes it float, it's making the cream lighter then the coffee by adding a magic ingredient...Air.
You need to whisk up the cream. I use a big bowl and a large balloon whisk and expend a bit of energy for about a minute till it's looking a bit frothy (will be about 5 mins if you use a cup and fork :)) be careful not to whisk too much or you will get a big creamy lump, then pour over the back of a spoon onto the coffee (the spoon helps keep it neat but you can get it to float still if you have a steady hand) also i useually give the coffee a vigorous stir just before pouring so it gets a pretty spiral on top :D

hope this helps you enjoy your treat again.

Aliebum x

DON'T Swing the malitol unless you plan on spending the better part of a day in the loo... it does not take very much to give some people very bad gas, and not much more than that to have a major laxative effect.

I returned my CD because the have malitol in them and I do notlike the chemically taste in them or the bad gas they give me. (Sorry if this is TMI)

MinnieMel

This is what the website I saw says as well about maltitol, although a laxative effect might be a good thing, if you know what i mean lol. I didnt find it had a chemical taste though, the taste was really natural.

I think ive had it with weight watchers, I sat through the talk again this week. I was nearly dying by the time I got out of there. What a load of old twaddle this woman talks! This week the chat was all about counting our points backwards. I kid you not.

I dont want to go to a slimming club, get weighed and then run out the door. I want sensible ideas and sensible talk. I was cringeing the whole way through it this week. She tends to pick on a specific person during her 'chat' which I find awful too.

Weight watchers was convenient because its in the village where I live, and the WW diet is really good, if I could get started on it. But its not the diet I need, its support, and there is very little of that there. There has to be a better option out there, or a better group leader. Ill be cancelling my monthly pass tomorrow.

Hi Lynn,

Check around a see if there is another WW meetings with a different instructor nearby... I changed CDC's because I "just wasn't feeling it". And, am glad I did.

MinnieMel

There is a Rosemary Conley class not too far from me on Monday evenings. The RC diet seems to be much more in line with im doing, low carb low fat calorie counted, plus they have zumba as the exercise class, so sounds interesting. I can get a voucher for the first week too, so im going to try that next Monday and see how it goes. Might suit me better than WW, and will save me from killing the woman next week.

The low carb bread I made last night is really nice. Its like proper old fashioned bread with some substance to it. Its pretty expensive though at £4 a pack, well that works out at 50p a roll, but delivery is £6. So next time i order some Ill need to get enough packs to make it worthwhile. It was really easy to make but just a bit time consuming with waiting for it to rise twice. I bought 2 packs this time though so it will last me a while.

Awful day today, I shouldnt even be at home to write this. First there was an accident ahead of me where a car took a bend too fast and slammed into the side of an oncoming car. Roads were very icy this morning. Then when I did finally get onto the M4 my car started playing up and losing power. So I made the decision to abandon my visit to Wales and get the car back to Toyota at Basingstoke. By the time I got a hire car it was nearly 12 and too late to go anywhere, so I went into town for a spot of retail therapy as im wont to do these days. Had my hair cut, eyebrows threaded and tinted and bought a fabulous pair of Jane Norman size 10 jeans and beautiful turquise and black Jane Norman jumper. I love writing that 'size 10' size 10, there i did it again :). So the day was not entirely lost, and Im still going to Wales later as im booked into hubbys hotel. I need to get into Wales tonight as I working in Carmarthenshire tomorrow, and thats just too far to drive in the morning at about 240 miles each way.

Odd thing about my hair, normally it grows like a weed and im always having it cut, but last year with the severe cutting back of calories, the growth slowed right up. Not surprising I suppose, but then toward end of November it started to come out in handfuls everytime I washed it. I wasnt too worried as I have very thick hair anyway, and Ive heard that VLCD's can do that to hair. But in the past 2 weeks its suddenly put on an amazing growing spurt and is actually looking quite long now, which i like especially as im thinner. It was looking a mess though, so todays trim has really made a big difference to it, still lots of perm in it from when i had it permed a while back so my hair is now looking good. And not so much hair coming out now either, so hopefully thats sorted itself out.

Last edited:
Woohoo size 10 in Jane Norman !!! You must be so slim now Lynn... You deserve to feel great about that.
The RC class does sound more suitable than the WW class, and the zumba sounds brilliant, bet you'll love it!

Sounds really scary on the roads this morning, probably best not to risk it and at least you managed to fit in some retail therapy and a bit of beauty therapy too. Its funny you mention your hair coming out, I've noticed mine seems a bit thinner recently I wonder if it's just down to the low cals... Maybe now I've upped them a bit it will go thicker!

You do sound like you're looking and feeling fab and just in time for your party!! Enjoy your trip to Wales xx

Had a lovely evening at the hotel last night, I ate smoked salmon followed by smoked haddock in a creamy sauce with a side salad.

Food has been a bit up and down today, breakfast at the hotel was fruit salad with a dollop of plain greek yoghurt, and a boiled egg, tiny peice of cheese and a crumpet with a scraping of butter. Felt sick after, despite not having had the byetta this morning as I forgot to do it.

Ate an asian pear at lunchtime, wasnt hungry at the time, but on the way home stopped at starbucks at a services and bought a light chicken salad sandwich. When i got home i felt bloated and majorly tired, didnt want to eat just sleep. But now ive woken up and cant sleep again. Was a bit hungry so had an orange.

Strange thing happened last night, was just falling asleep and then needed the loo. I got out of bed too fast got dizzy but kept walking round the bed to get to the bathroom. Since ive lost weight my blood pressure has dropped, even though it was only normal before. So if i get up too quick i get a dizzy spell, which usually passes in a few seconds. But as i walked round the bed, felt myself blacking out. I put my hand to the wall and was instantly transported into a weird dream like vision where I was sliding down a mountain in bright sunlight with a loud buzzing surrounding me. At the time it seemed to go on and on but can only have been seconds. Over the top of the buzzing noise was another insistent noise that was dragging me off the mountain. then I became aware of 2 things in the same instant, the insistent noise was Cliff saying Lynn what are you doing, and i could feel carpet under my face. It was a totally surreal and intense experience, i had obviously fainted and ended up in a heap on the floor, so funny and i cant get that vision of the mountain out of my head now. It was just so intense.

Last edited:
Wow Lynn -- You should go to your GP and be checked out. what an interesting effect of fainting, especially the combination seonsory experience.

Re: the hair -- I remember my LL counseloor telling us that often people stop shedding hair (as much as normal) on a VLCD because your body is conserving energy -- then when you up your calories you lose what should have quite quickly, then it adjusts. (Like when you are pregnant.)

MM

Im not worried about the fainting spell, its the only time it has happened that ive actually fainted but if it starts to happen a lot i will go get it checked out. But the actual experience was totally weird, strange and very interesting. I was actually annoyed for moment that cliff apparently dragged me out of it lol.

OMG I was 10.7.5 this morning! That wont last long though with the party tomorrow, but 10.7 is the absolute magic number for me, the unatainable goal that at 17.5 could only be a wishful dream.

I should be doing stuff today, but couldnt sleep last night so ended up getting up late today and now im watching the Channel4 program on crash diets. I havnt even had breakfast yet, and I am a bit hungry this morning, but ill get my scrambked eggs soon. Then ill tackle the kitchen and do some cooking. Have to take the hire car back today and pick up my car from Toyota as well. It had a blockage in the fuel line which caused the power loss. They have also serviced it and the 1st MOT is due 1st March so thats done now too.

What on earth is the maple syrup diet about? sounds like total madness to me.

Today I have made Jamie oliver recipe for smoked mackeral pate, delicious! A birthday cake for my granddaughter as its also her birthday tomorrow, another jamie oliver recipe for lemon drizzle cake. Got into a right mess with the icing as I wanted to ice a lattice across it, but it looks pretty, just needs some candles now.
Also made yet another JO recipe, I love his mulled wine recipe so i made up enough of the syrup to use 4 bottles of wine tomorrow. I love that stuff, very bad though as lots of sugar in it.
I made a low calorie trifle! Got some low fat trifle sponges, cut them in half and spread with a tin of drained raspberries and a sprinkle of sherry, topped that with low fat ready made custard then poured over sugar free jelly, when that set i topped it with a tub of thick WW cream. I have a beautiful pink crystal bowl and made it in that, looks too good to eat.
Ive also made up some sausagemeat stuffing to go with the roast pork im doing tomorrow.

Ruth will be here at 8am to do the housework! so i will be up early, and lock myself in the kitchen while she works her magic. :)

Getting excited!

Lynn,

I hope you are feeling better. The trifle sounds lovely. Please let us know how it tasted.

MM

P.S. If you took a photo of the cake... it'd be nice to see, too.

Lynn hope the party went really well and you're not too delicate today !! Bonus to get your weight down so much before so you could enjoy all of your gorgeous food. Everything sounds delicious bet your family were overwhelmed!

Hope the dizzy spell was just a one off, what a strange thing to happen whilst you fainted!!

Let us know all about the party xxx

I guess the fact that I didnt go to bed until 7.30am this morning indicates we all had a great time lol. I got up again just after 11am as my sister was leaving, and 1 guest was crashed out on the floor of the lounge until after 1pm. I was going to go back to bed after sis left, but ended up stayingup, tidying around. The house looks remakably tidy and unaffected by last nights events. However the same cannot be said for me, its gone 6pm and im still in pyjamas and dressing gown. Ill be getting an early night tonight!

We had a great time, food went down a storm, but there was lots left over. I was strong willed and binned most of it, and of whats left, whatever doesnt get eaten by hubby and son today will be going in the bin tomorrow morning.

Hubby videoed some of the party last night, but looks like he may have messed up as stuff he thought he recorded isnt on there and stuff he didnt record, like the floor as he is walking along, is on there. Hopefully there might be something we can salvage and i may put it up on youtube.

It was so good getting my family together, although the drawback of family parties is that there tend to be children brought along as well. I tried to make the best of this by setting up one room for them with tv and wii, and a supply of drinks, crisps and chocolate biscuit/cake things. And that did keep them pretty much occupied and out of harms way, but there were 3 toddlers as well, and my god can they scream when they dont get their own way. Like constantly slamming the kitchen door open and shut, whilst the mothers did their best to ignore them. I had to put a stop to it, which resulted in another screaming bout from said toddlers. Ahhh families........

So thats one thing ive done from my wish list I posted a couple weeks ago (family party, not upsetting spoilt toddlers) so ill need to check back and see whats next, organise street party for June i think.

Wow! Sounds fab.

I just booked a holiday from "my wish" list. I am taking my DD to San Antonio, TX during her Easter school break.

My good friend, from when I lived in Germany 1996-2003, lives there (permanently). Two of my three sisters live there. And, my DD's best friends in the world and their mother (my friend) are there now.

This situation will not last -- as the DD's friends' father is military and they'll be posted on, and my younger sister is also military and will be posted on... so, strike while the iron is hot, I say!

We are very excited about the seeing all these loved ones on one trip over the pond.

MinnieMel

Wow! Sounds fab.

I just booked a holiday from "my wish" list. I am taking my DD to San Antonio, TX during her Easter school break.

My good friend, from when I lived in Germany 1996-2003, lives there (permanently). Two of my three sisters live there. And, my DD's best friends in the world and their mother (my friend) are there now.

This situation will not last -- as the DD's friends' father is military and they'll be posted on, and my younger sister is also military and will be posted on... so, strike while the iron is hot, I say!

We are very excited about the seeing all these loved ones on one trip over the pond.

MinnieMel

Wow sounds like a fabulous trip Mel, will be so exciting to catch up with everyone. And not long to go either! Easter will be here before you know it!

Oh I meant to add that my sister Lita's daughter Becky (my neice) is expecting her first baby soon, well babies as it tuns out, she is having twins! A boy and a girl. Becky is tiny though, she is now 30 weeks and is booked to have ceasarian at 38 weeks if they havnt arrived sooner. Babies are both a good size now at around 3lb each, and as Becky is so small herself she has the most amazing perfectly round pregnancy bump, but looks so big already poor girl. She still has another 3 weeks before she gives up work but is suffering already. This will be Lita's first grandchild(ren) so she is excited but its her son Tom thats getting married in Thailand in Feb and the babies may well arrive while she is away, so im on standby in her absense. Very exciting!

Lucky Lita... an exotic destination wedding and TWO grandbabies.

She is lucky to have you on Stand-By.

MM

Wow the party sounds absolutely fantastic and more than a bit wild!! Not surprised you've been in your pjs all day given it's been one continuous day and night!!! I can't believe how strong your will power is with all the scrumptious food, you're a legend Lynn and should be running your own weight loss class. I can't imagine any class leader knowing more than you do or having achieved as much as you have!

So lovely you've already had the family party, what a cracking start to your new year resolutions.. You're a lady on a mission this year!!

Such lovely news about your niece, the arrival of twins has got to be as good an excuse as any for another party xxx

So glad your party went well Lynn :) Like Healthy, i am in admiration of how strong you are binning food etc. It all sounds so yummy i'm sure i would have picked at it lol

The arrival of twins sounds great but i don't envy you poor niece having to carry them. I was bad enough with 1. Must be so exciting :)

You know what, ive actually had this idea in my head for a few weeks that I could run my own slimming club. Ive been dissapointed with the support from WW, im now about to try Rosemary Conley, but there isnt a club out there that specifically promotes low carb low cal eating, and I truely beleive, with the scientific evidence that is available, that this is the way to go to lose weight fast and keep it off. But also, it has to be an ongoing lifestyle choice. My mantra has been, losing weight is easy, keeping it off is hard. The hard work does not start until you have lost the weight. This morning I weighed 10.12. Thats 4.5lbs on again! And i barely ate yesterday. Its shocking how fast my weight will go up.

I dont really mind though strangely, I knew this would happen, although i was hoping for 2lb gain not 4.5lb gain!! But it does seem unfair that on saturday evening I didnt have a big plate of food, in fact i didnt even use a plate at all, I just picked at little bits. But I did it all evening, and I drank quite a lot too. (im getting good at drinking alchohol now lol). I enjoyed it all though and hopefully by the end of this week I will have undone the damage.

Its the fact that I have no will power at all that made me throw the food away. I just cannot have any food in the house that I cant eat . Otherwise ill eat it. There is just one thing in the fridge that is bothering me. I bought a large piece of Dolcelatta, it cost £7 and it was barely touched. It was a mistake buying it to start with, I got it because its MY favourite cheese, and it still in the fridge wrapped up. Its going to have to go in the bin, and it will pain me to do it. I could actually eat it, it would fit in with what i eat, but i cant eat a small piece of it, unlike cheddar where I can just cut off a small piece and put the rest back. Dolcelatta just begs you to cut off a big creamy piece.

ooh ebay bargain! I won an auction for a pair of Jane Norman size 10 white jeans. I was the only bidder and got them for £7.99, bargain! Perfect for my holiday although ill probably be a size 8 by then rofl!!

Back