The Super Inspiring Travel thread!

I really really want to go back to Canada to see my "adopted mum". I went there 18 months ago, and we didn't get to do as much as we wanted because her eldest daughter got ill, and there were other visitors.

So if money wasn't an issue i would demand a roadtrip across Canada, staying at the poshest hotels along the way!

But i'll just settle for a return ticket to Ottawa and a couple of hundred in spends!! hoping for that next year!

Tahiti and Bora Bora are on our list for sure, but I'll never get hubby in a plane for long enough to *get* there.

Pacific cruise that goes from LA to Hawaii to Bora Bora and back...28 days! Or...if time isn't a problem, do a round the world cruise.

Machu Picchu

I want to ride the Orient Express :)

I really really want to go back to Canada to see my "adopted mum". I went there 18 months ago, and we didn't get to do as much as we wanted because her eldest daughter got ill, and there were other visitors.

So if money wasn't an issue i would demand a roadtrip across Canada, staying at the poshest hotels along the way!

But i'll just settle for a return ticket to Ottawa and a couple of hundred in spends!! hoping for that next year!

My first thought is; there's posh hotels here?

But I would totally do a road trip and stay in the Fairmont hotels along the way. I love their history.

Tahiti and Bora Bora are on our list for sure, but I'll never get hubby in a plane for long enough to *get* there.

Pacific cruise that goes from LA to Hawaii to Bora Bora and back...28 days! Or...if time isn't a problem, do a round the world cruise.

Machu Picchu

I want to ride the Orient Express :)

Oh yes, I forgot about the Orient Express, I want to do that too. Me & my sister were looking at New Years eve trips on the Orient Express & they weren't too expensive; ok they're a lot for a night out, but how much fun would that be:D

My first thought is; there's posh hotels here?

But I would totally do a road trip and stay in the Fairmont hotels along the way. I love their history.

well by "posh" i totally meant "better than a cheap motel somewhere" lol

I'd totally be hitting Calgary btw- I have a friend that lives there :D

I would revisit Vegas in a flash, also Thailand...

honeymoon was Canadian Rockies by road and rail then cruise Alaska , saw whales, eagles, bears, stood on a glacier... It was fabulous.

Would return to Vancouver. Want to take a luxury campervan around various parts of the US. The grand Canyon is amazing.

Caribbean is beautiful...

We love cruising, you get to see lots of places, travel in luxury and only unpack once!!!

Happy Holidays said:
Oh yes, I forgot about the Orient Express, I want to do that too. Me & my sister were looking at New Years eve trips on the Orient Express & they weren't too expensive; ok they're a lot for a night out, but how much fun would that be:D

Oh yes Orient Express..... lovely.....

We went to Egypt for our honeymoon. Cruise down the Nile the first week seeing some fabulous sites on the way then 2 days in Cairo to do pyramids etc then private island in the Nile just chilling for the rest - was totally amazing & would go back in a minute!

Ooohh, fun thread!!

I'm in love with India. If you are a reasonably seasoned and savvy traveler, then North India is fab. It is hard work (touts, scams etc), but the golden triangle of Delhi, Agra (Taj Mahal etc) and Rajasthan is so worth it for the amazing colour, architecture etc. Also the 'toy train' up to Simla is the definition of the journey being half the fun, but try and go off season (it is mega packed in June, July, August). For a
more laid back time South India (Kerala rather than Goa for me) is amazing.

Sri Lanka is also brilliant - Kandy, the mountains of the 'tea' region, the beautiful beaches around Galle.

We went to Cuba for our honeymoon - a few days in the hugely cool Havana, and then a few days chilling in an AI hotel by the beach in Varadero (sp?). Lovely.

Oh, oh!! Cape Town was also amazing, and though I haven't done it I'm told the 'garden route' along the SA coast along from there is gorgeous.

Other places I have been and loved...

Spain - Seville, Cordoba, Madrid, Toledo, Barcelona.

Germany - Berlin, Heidelberg.

Calcutta (loved, loved, loved it, but perhaps not for a honeymoon!!)

Washington DC.

Leiden

And my all time favourite city - Edinburgh.

linzipinzi said:
We went to Egypt for our honeymoon. Cruise down the Nile the first week seeing some fabulous sites on the way then 2 days in Cairo to do pyramids etc then private island in the Nile just chilling for the rest - was totally amazing & would go back in a minute!

That would be so cool!

Ooohh, fun thread!!

I'm in love with India. If you are a reasonably seasoned and savvy traveler, then North India is fab. It is hard work (touts, scams etc), but the golden triangle of Delhi, Agra (Taj Mahal etc) and Rajasthan is so worth it for the amazing colour, architecture etc. Also the 'toy train' up to Simla is the definition of the journey being half the fun, but try and go off season (it is mega packed in June, July, August). For a
more laid back time South India (Kerala rather than Goa for me) is amazing.

We've been to both north & south India. Last March we went to south India (not just Kerala) it is so different from the south, for example the temples & churches. We did the toy train to Ooty, which was amazing, if you're going back I'd recommend doing that trip. We also went to the most southern most point of India, Cape that was also brill.

I've got to agree India is brill, the people are lovely, the culture & sights are just amazing. We're going back, (don't know when though) to do the Darjeeling steam train.

Wow! Can I jump in here?! Me & the oh haven't had a holiday abroad yet (i've spent three years nagging him to get a passport!). We're hopefully going away this March but don't know where. I've wanted to go to Cuba for years but he's not keep on the heat (will it even be that hot in March?!). I love everyones ideas on here :)

parfittaroles said:
Wow! Can I jump in here?! Me & the oh haven't had a holiday abroad yet (i've spent three years nagging him to get a passport!). We're hopefully going away this March but don't know where. I've wanted to go to Cuba for years but he's not keep on the heat (will it even be that hot in March?!). I love everyones ideas on here :)

Yes, if he isn't keen on heat it's hot all the time!

If he doesn't get a passport i'd just go without him :rolleyes:

I went to Malaysia on a three week Exchange programme when I was 18 and would love to go back there. It's an amazing country.

If money were no object I would love to go on a nearly year long world trip taking in every F1 race and spending a few days in each country before moving on to the next one. I also want to see the Northern Lights.

For more homegrown holidays, I can't beat Fort William and the highlands, which fortunately I get to visit reasonably regularly. I honestly cannot even begin to express just how incredible the countryside is there.

If he doesn't like the heat, I feel a compromise is needed:D He agrees to get his passport & you agree to go somewhere not too hot, simples:D

Okie dokies, I'm sure if you give us more info, between us we can come up with an idea he is sure to agree to. So what would you & OH like to do on holiday, what type of thing do you like, eg bars, drinking, sightseeing, walking, reading, relaxing, swimming. Just give as much info as poss.

Oh I'm excited for you now:D

You've got it bang on there, that's exactly what we did :) He sent for it 3 weeks ago so I'm praying it comes back before our annual leave in March!

Well, me & the oh aren't too exciting I'm afraid lol. We never go out drinking (i'm definitely not the stereotypical student nurse) although I do like to dance :) I love sitting around a pool sunbathing but i can't do it all holiday. The oh loves sightseeing so we'll have to do some of that. We both enjoy walking, reading & swimming. I like a bit of luxury (admittedly I can't afford it very often!) & I'm a clean freak so I can't deal with dirt lol. I'd like to go somewhere bright & colourful! Its probably a bad thing to admit to, but I'm a little naive. I really wanted to go to Egypt too I've been put off after my parents went & got held hostage! It's left me a but wary of places that have bad reputation.

Also, if it's 8 weeks away do I need to think about getting some jabs?!

Thanks for your help already :)

If you are going somewhere exotic then you'll need jabs but not stick to Europe. If I were you, i'd wait until the last minute and book something really cheap and then you won't have time to worry about where you are going :)

We went to Rhodes last year on a last minute deal: all inclusive 4 star £165 :D couldn't knock it x

Ok my initial thoughts are the Canary Islands, they'll be warm in March (we & Elliebear, but not together, are going to Fuerteventura in March) but not too hot. It is clean, there are places to walk, with some sightseeing, & I'm sure if you go to the right place there'll be some dancing:D

I'll give this some more thought:D

Back