The Super Inspiring Travel thread!

I have to disagree with HH here, I've been to Tenerife & Lanzarote, managed a 1 night excursion to Fuertaventura, but I wouldn't reccomend any of them. Not a fan of the scenery and thought it was all too hot and a bit too "British". Would agree with clean, but a lot of the hotels are getting on a bit now and you have to be careful where you end up, and there are cockroaches EVERYWHERE which freaked me out.

Whilst we were there, OH commented that Lanzarote looked like a St Helens slag heap, which summed it up pretty well for me :eek: And it was pretty hot- great for me but my OH sounds a lot like yours and he moaned constantly, that was in January. Unfortunately I like my holiday destinations to be decidedly blue-er than the Canaries.

Do you have a budget Parfitt?? Don't get me wrong- if I got a cheap, last minute deal I'd be there in a flash!! But it's not somewhere I'd plan to go to :( My vote would go to Greece or Portugal. Or Italy but it's pretty pricey, or Malta but we found Malta a bit quiet, so maybe not much dancing which you specifically requested.

You've obviously been to the 'wrong' part:D there are some really nice places. I think if you stay out of the touristy places it should be ok. We've got a place in Fuerteventura & never had a problem with cockroches. I've been to Lanzarote & didn't like it, no reason, just not too keen, I liked the North part of Tenerife, which I found quieter & more scenic.

Or if you'd like to go longhaul how about Florida or Thailand; Florida isn't all Mickey Mouse, there are nice nature parks, they don't have much history though so not much sightseeing. I've never been to Thailand but it's supposed to be really nice.

You've obviously been to the 'wrong' part:D there are some really nice places. I think if you stay out of the touristy places it should be ok. We've got a place in Fuerteventura & never had a problem with cockroches. I've been to Lanzarote & didn't like it, no reason, just not too keen, I liked the North part of Tenerife, which I found quieter & more scenic.

I think the problem we had with Lanzarote was that we were definitely in "Brits Abroad" territory- Corralejo (sp?). Our hotel was naff but we'd paid a fortune so i think we were disappointed the moment we landed. That's when we took the overnight trip to Fuerteventura- we literally hated Lanzarote that much that we had to get out of the place!!

I've been to Tenerife a few times now because my friends parents live there, we have day tripped to the North and I did prefer it. They live in Callao Salvaje, which is not too touristy but still quite decent for a night out- a fair few bars to get your groove on in. Still, If we weren't going visiting it's not somewhere I would choose to go to unfortunately.

I am admittedly quite a fussy traveller. I went to Marmaris once and lasted 2 days before getting the ferry over to Faliraki (of all places!!) and booked myself into a hotel for the other 11 nights. Faliraki is not my cup of tea but it was decidedly better than where I'd just come from! :rolleyes:

How about Brussels (it's not all sprouts!) in Belgium?

It's not too far away and you can either fly, coach/ferry or Eurostar it.

There's plenty to see (and getting around is easy with the great transport systems).

If you find a good deal - you could stop in a slightly 'posher' hotel (with spa and pool facilities) for your 'pool time'.

OK - it's not hot but as a first forray into foreign travel for your OH... And you're not likely to be taken hostage... And you won't need any jabs!!

Lonestitcher said:
you're not likely to be taken hostage... And you won't need any jabs!!

I lol at this !!

Thanks for all the ideas guys :) Sorry it's taken so long to reply, but as I had a Uni exam I've been concentrating on that. Exam was yesterday so spent today looking on lonely planet at every one of your suggestions - some I really really love!

Unfortunately over six weeks has passed and no sign of the passport :-s I'm freaking out as our annual leave starts a week today :( if it doesn't come I'll cry. I need a holiday!!!

Happy Holidays said:
Has the passport arrived ok? Six weeks is a long time to wait. On the app did you put the date of travel? I think it's worth a phone call to make sure everything is ok.

Nope, it's not arrived :( I'm waiting until 9 o clock to ring them... Hurry up!!!

Hope the passport arrives in time. A friend applied recently and they told her it would be about 3 weeks so yours is held up somewhere. As to holidays, hubby and I discovered cruise holidays 8 years ago and hardly take another holiday now. We reluctantly booked the first one and had a ball so becamehoked. You just visit so many places in 2 weeks. We have 'done' the Med, Baltic, Fjords,Canaries, New York and Canada and two years ago we flew to LA and cruised to Hawaii.which was fabulous. Not listing these to boast just to show you can see so much in a relatively short time. We always book lateish and in the cheapest inside cabin because you only sleep and wash in it. Five yearsago I hadn't been to Italy but after two cruises I had been to Rome, Florence,Naples,Pompeii,Pisa,Sorrento,Lucca,Sicily,Sardinia and best of all Venice.Sailing up the Grand Canal on a cruise ship with the guide pointing out all the famous landmarks was a wonderful experience

ARGH!!! Fuming!!! Just got off the phone. His passport has been held up as they couldn't verify his address. I'm so annoyed, I asked him more than once if he was on the electoral roll & he said yes. Why is he such an idiot sometimes :'(

I love the idea of a cruise. We found one for the gran canneries leaving next Friday for £500 each but it's looking unlikely now

Canada, I have always wanted to go to Canada. I'd love to see those lakes that are so big they look like oceans with their beaches at the edges, and I'd like to see the forests and mountains and huge stretches of uninhabited land. I want to see the Bay of Fundy and Newfoundland; and I want to see Montreal, and essentially travel all the way across west, calling in at Toronto, Winnipeg and finishing up in Vancouver. Along the way I'd like to stay in little self-catering cabins and be able to relax and unwind without the hell that is other people ;). I'm a self-confessed history buff as well as a naturalist and so I'd like to see where people first settled back in colonial times when it must have been so hard, and I'd want to see the little ghost towns left over. THAT would be awesome.

My favourite holiday of all time has to be Canada, we went for 2 weeks sleeping in tents (probably not what you want for your honeymoon!), we canoed around the Algonquin which was amazing, the wild life was out of this world. Next time I go to Canada I'd like to do Vancouver Island and around that area.

Cape Town was great, we hired a car and as they drive on the left like us it made it so much easier, we went on safari, stayed in Camps Bay, stayed in Gordon's Bay and spent the days driving around, seeing the baby whales was such a fantastic experience.

Been to Australia a couple of times and definitely loved the Western side, we travelled down from Perth into the Karri Valley, no phones, no tv's etc, a really fun trip.

Have been to quite a few places but another one that stands out is helping in an orphanage in Uganda where my sponsor child was, the feeling you get helping these kids is hard to compare.

Bit closer to home and more relaxing but that we really enjoyed was Croatia, we went last year in June and it's a lovely place.

Good luck with choosing your honeymoon Jez and Parfittaroles for your trip next week (if his passport arrives!)

claire32 said:
I loved the West Coast of the USA as well, did a three week tour of that area a couple of years ago - San Diego, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Vegas, San Francisco, LA, Santa Monica etc - was amazing!

We're looking to go to Vegas in April and I wanted to make a road trip of it but hubby not keen as said he won't drive on the right! Having done the trip you did above is it doable with one person doing all the driving? Is it really hard to drive on that side? Do you mind me asking where you stayed? Was it motels along the way? X

HPSaucy said:
Good luck with choosing your honeymoon Jez and Parfittaroles for your trip next week (if his passport arrives!)

That freaked me out a bit then as I thought you were psychic! My OH is called Jez lol

Last edited:
ARGH!!! Fuming!!! Just got off the phone. His passport has been held up as they couldn't verify his address. I'm so annoyed, I asked him more than once if he was on the electoral roll & he said yes. Why is he such an idiot sometimes :'(

I love the idea of a cruise. We found one for the gran canneries leaving next Friday for £500 each but it's looking unlikely now

Have they told you if they have/can/how to verify his address? Once they've got everything it could arrive in time for your hols:D

Canada, I have always wanted to go to Canada. I'd love to see those lakes that are so big they look like oceans with their beaches at the edges, and I'd like to see the forests and mountains and huge stretches of uninhabited land. I want to see the Bay of Fundy and Newfoundland; and I want to see Montreal, and essentially travel all the way across west, calling in at Toronto, Winnipeg and finishing up in Vancouver. Along the way I'd like to stay in little self-catering cabins and be able to relax and unwind without the hell that is other people ;). I'm a self-confessed history buff as well as a naturalist and so I'd like to see where people first settled back in colonial times when it must have been so hard, and I'd want to see the little ghost towns left over. THAT would be awesome.

Wow that sounds amazing, I too love history & just looking at where buildings are placed in a town, how they are built, what materials were used, its just facinating.

We're looking to go to Vegas in April and I wanted to make a road trip of it but hubby not keen as said he won't drive on the right! Having done the trip you did above is it doable with one person doing all the driving? Is it really hard to drive on that side? Do you mind me asking where you stayed? Was it motels along the way? X

OH doesn't drive, never learnt & doesn't want to, so when we go on hols I always drive. I often drive on the righthand side & find it easier to remember that I should always be in the middle of the road. This is good for when turning:rolleyes:

Happy Holidays said:
Have they told you if they have/can/how to verify his address? Once they've got everything it could arrive in time for your hols:D

OH doesn't drive

I feel your pain - I hate having to do all the driving when we're away :( I don't mind driving at all, but long distances get boring :(

Ye, he just had to go to our local council office to fill in a form. Call me silly, but why didn't they mention this when he registered to pay council tax! All done now but it needs to be sent off to somewhere else, they don't know how long it'll take...

Back