The Things People Say?

oh dont you hate people like that. My friend is majorly skinny, lovely thin legs but moans about her 'muffin top' people like that drive me mad!

YES! Especially when they're posing and preening, knowing full well that everyone's eyes are on them, and that everyone will automatically rush to tell them how gorgeous they are (though I guess this is the idea in the first place).

I really AM overweight, and I don't go round moaning how fat I am, so I wish skinny people wouldn't do it! :mad:

How it's always used in an argument - so predictable. "Rant rant rant, you fat _______, rant rant rant."

I got that on a review website in reply to a review I wrote about a training provider I used a few years ago that wasn't very good. I put on it about it being poorly equiped and not getting support. Someone replied to me ranting on that it was "only a ****ing college" and made reference to my weight 3 times (site linked to my facebook account). Erm just how does my weight effect that place not giving adequate training? :confused:

I agree totally about slim/slightly overweight people complaining to me that they are so fat/need to lose weight etc.
I wouldn't do that to someone larger than me and i'm 15 stone.
I wonder if they do it on purpose to make themselves feel better or to get attention/compliments.
It is very annoying and irritating, and shows that they just don't think.

As for people commenting on your weight that you have gained, there is no need and is very rude, if someone said that to me i'd be half tempted to say you have gained wrinkles/spots or something etc just to shut them up so they know how it feels, but I wouldn't as that is unkind and wouldn't want to sink down to their level.

I think sometimes people need to learn a bit of tact, diplomacy and discretion.

if someone said that to me i'd be half tempted to say you have gained wrinkles/spots or something etc just to shut them up so they know how it feels, but I wouldn't as that is unkind and wouldn't want to sink down to their level.

I'm only to happy to sink to their level if theyre repeat offenders. Someone said something along the lines of "diet not working" to me several times and I'd had enough so just replied with "well i'll keep trying and hope to find one that works and you'll keep buying the anti aging serums in the the same hope" Booyah! Shut her right up

i love it when people say 'you have such a pretty face, if only you lost a few more lbs you'd be gorgeous' huh what ? is that supposed to be a compliment ?

and my mum...god i could rant about all the comments she made through my life.. the best is 'boys won't date fat girls' i had absolutely no problem in that department.

my husband who is trim, will watch me work out 7 days a week, diet everyday and be 100% and then when i want to treat myself because i worked extra hard and deserve it or even if i'm allowed to eat it in my diet plan.. he says 'should you really be eating that?' like he has some clue !

Re: What skinny people say?

Wouldn't you love to have the nerve to say to someone "at least I can lose weight but you'll always be ugly"

LOl yes i would and in fact I think i have :D

Wouldn't you love to have the nerve to say to someone "at least I can lose weight but you'll always be ugly"

I'd love to say that! In fact, I've decided that the next time anyone says anything that is meant to make me feel uncomfortable regarding my weight, I will have an answer ready. The top 5 comments I've recieved:

1. I was in KFC (pre-SW) when a male co-worker said, very loudly, in front of everyone in the queue: "What are you doing here? Surely you're big enough already?" (And yes, he was in the same queue to buy the same food. But it's okay, he's slim, and therefore entitled). :sigh:

2. I was having a discussion with another collegue and she asked after my son, so I said "he's much bigger than you remember" (as in taller/generally older) and the same man from before just BUTT into the conversation exclaiming "Oh, I hope he's not as big as you!!"

3. "You have such a pretty face, if only...."

4. A former "friend" told me that the only man who'd want me would be a "feeder"....Yeah. We're not friends anymore.

5. Had to see a dermatologist about a skin condition. As I walked into her office, she looked at me - tutted - and said "well, it's not wonder you suffer from this. You don't see skinny people with this condition, do you?" She didn't examine me or anything. She wasn't skinny, maybe about 13st (that's another thing - people who are also overweight BUT smaller than you feeling the need to make comments :()

The worst part of it is knowing that even though I've started this journey, and that I'm proud of what i've achieved thus far, there will always be ridicule...because people who (think they) know you, people who don't know you...they'll always have something to say. And they'll probably say it all the way up until you reach your target...and then pick something else to hate on.

Last edited:

The worst part of it is knowing that even though I've started this journey, and that I'm proud of what i've achieved thus far, there will always be ridicule...because people who (think they) know you, people who don't know you...they'll always have somthing to say. And they'll probably say it all the way up until you reach your target...and then pick something else to hate on.

Yep. Some people are just going to be negative whatever you do. Just got to ignore them tbh. :)

Oooh, and on topic... skinny people who can't relate to our joy when we reach a certain size. " OMG, I've reached a size 18/16/14!! :D " ...."yes, and?" I know a lot of skinny people whose size has been pretty much constant all their lives, and so have no idea how amazing it feels not to be as fat as you were before.

5. Had to see a dermatologist about a skin condition. As I walked into her office, she looked at me - tutted - and said "well, it's not wonder you suffer from this. You don't see skinny people with this condition, do you?" She didn't examine me or anything. She wasn't skinny, maybe about 13st (that's another thing - people who are also overweight BUT smaller than you feeling the need to make comments :()

After my dad passed away a few years ago I went to the doctors as I was having trouble sleeping and feeling depressed and ended up seeing a GP who I hadn't seen before. I explained to her what had happend and she made me go on the scales, tutted, shook her head and said "No wonder your feeling depressed, maybe if you lost weight you'd feel beter".

I think a lot of things work both ways to be honest. Until this summer, when an injury prevented me exercising, I had been 8st and a clothes size 6-8 since my teens (I'm 30). I then ended up piling on 3st in as many months so am on my first ever diet to get back to my normal weight.

I have had sooo many people asking why on earth I want to lose weight when I am a size 10...err, because this is big for me!!

Then there are comments, sometimes from complete strangers, such as 'people like you shouldn't be allowed' or 'people like you make me sick, youre so slim' or 'whats your secret' or the one that really makes me laugh 'why do you bother exercising/eating salad, youre slim enough'!!!!! It drives me nuts!! I (usually) keep my slim figure simply BECAUSE i exercise a lot and eat sensibly!!!

I think a lot of things work both ways to be honest. Until this summer, when an injury prevented me exercising, I had been 8st and a clothes size 6-8 since my teens (I'm 30). I then ended up piling on 3st in as many months so am on my first ever diet to get back to my normal weight.

I have had sooo many people asking why on earth I want to lose weight when I am a size 10...err, because this is big for me!!

Then there are comments, sometimes from complete strangers, such as 'people like you shouldn't be allowed' or 'people like you make me sick, youre so slim' or 'whats your secret' or the one that really makes me laugh 'why do you bother exercising/eating salad, youre slim enough'!!!!! It drives me nuts!! I (usually) keep my slim figure simply BECAUSE i exercise a lot and eat sensibly!!!

It is interesting to see it from another perspective. Maybe the answer is not to initiate comments and to support each other in our goals whatever they are. I have to say though I have had very few negative comments when slim - even when I was very thin at one point. Lot's of snide comments when overweight. To be fair though I get lots of positive comments and very supportive ones too.

After my dad passed away a few years ago I went to the doctors as I was having trouble sleeping and feeling depressed and ended up seeing a GP who I hadn't seen before. I explained to her what had happend and she made me go on the scales, tutted, shook her head and said "No wonder your feeling depressed, maybe if you lost weight you'd feel beter".

Oh. My. God. That is not acceptable. What is with some of these "health professionals"? They go through all that med school and training and come out to be complete jerks???? I know they're not all like that, but it took me a loooonnnng while to find a doctor who wasn't so insensitive. I don't understand why people actually think it's okay to speak to people like this. It's like an epidemic!

Do any of you guys watch "Mike & Molly" (a sitcom on Comedy central about a larger couple)? Apparently, according to a seriously disturbed Marie Claire blogger, watching fat people in a relationship on TV "disgusts" her. Read the blog entry here:

http://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/dating-blog/overweight-couples-on-television

I don't even know how the "editor" allowed this to be published. The writer goes on to "apologise", blaming her latent anoraxia for her "hatred" of fat people. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
wow.. almost 4000 comments regarding that article.

I hate the negative comments but there was obviously a lot of public outcry that prompted the author to retract her statements and offer an apology. Obesity is an epidemic, you cannot ignore the facts. There is so many unhealthy options saturating the market and false advertising regarding 'diet' foods and misguided advice from 'professionals' that it really is a hard problem to address, not to mention the psychology involved in regards to gaining and losing weight.. It takes a lot of will power, education and positive support (like this site) that helps us fight this battle.

Incidentally I watch Mike and Molly every week.. and my husband made the same crack. 'i can't watch a show all about fat jokes' . That is so not what the show is about.. it's actually a situational comedy just like any other out there and what problems couples face in their relationships. The only difference is the key characters are both overweight (not just a hot wife and her fat hubby) and their common problem is their weight, but it's not the primary focus of their relationship. It's a very cute show, it's endearing but yes it does explore the negative stereotypes regarding weight through humour. Molly lives with her sister and mother who are both thin (sounds like my family) and Mike is a cop who has a thin partner but has an overbearing mother who feeds him crappy food.. Anyone can relate to this show. It doesn't matter who you are or what you look like, you can take any struggle, whether it be your weight, anger, alcoholism , abuse etc. and put yourself in the shoes of the protagonists and what they deal with on a daily basis. It's just very narrow minded individuals who would completely misjudge this show and find it 'disgusting'.

I for one find this show very refreshing :)

lol what ? clueless here.

I've never heard anything bad like that, thank god. Think you've encountered some nasty people there hun

Please add to if you think of any:-

It's easy, eat less exercise more.

It's basic arithmetic use more calories than you eat you're bound to lose weight.

At least fat people are always happy.

You must be really greedy to get that big!

Re: What skinny people say?

Sorry for confusing you earlier Syren! There was a spam msg on this thread and I replied to them, then I reported it and the moderators removed it so quick that it looked like I was giving out to you as yours the msg above it.
Now I'm just confusing myself sorry!!

Sorry for confusing you earlier Syren! There was a spam msg on this thread and I replied to them, then I reported it and the moderators removed it so quick that it looked like I was giving out to you as yours the msg above it.
Now I'm just confusing myself sorry!!

Well I am very unimpressed that there was spam on my thread - I hope it wasn't anything too upsetting!

Back