thinking of starting atkins

Justjane, I'm new to this as well, I'm on Day 2, I would hope that a steady 2lbs a week would be lost.

Ok, my book is 1999 and states, allow for approximately 170g (6oz) of salad vegetables (loosely packed) or 120g (4 oz) of salad plus 130g (4.5ozs) of cooked vegetables in the below 10% carbohydrate category.

How confusing, so I am allowed more then according to Dancing and Shaz!

sue x

Hiya Jane
Welcome to low carbers anonymous.
As you can see, my weight loss has been just fine since switching to Atkins induction. Never hungry, lots of choice, had a great BBQ on Saturday. Its all yummy!

Mitten, as regards the salad and veg, I've been using the same measurements as Shaz and Dancing and I'm doing alright.

Pinks
x

Well done on the 11lbs thats fab,, am keeping a close eye on this thread might be something that appeals to me when I got the last half a stone to lose. Good Luck girls you all sound so positive.

dancing, thats brill, I hope I'll get a good result, dont think for one minute I'll do anything near 10lbs, If I do 7lbs, I'll be a happy bunny
sue x

Official weight loss for week one on Atkins: 11lb! BUT I had binged for a couple of weeks before hand so I would have a load of glycogen stores (not to mention the fact I hadn't had a good toilet experience in a while :)). This week is the one that matters to me. I am looking forward to seeing how much I've lost by next Monday

Well done hun......I've taken the plunge (but am having a CD shake a day in place of one meal.....going to read up to see if this will work). Just had bacon, eggs and mushrooms cooked in butter OMG...heaven. I think the BBQ might be coming out tonight! I am a real meat eater so the thought of steak with a blue cheese sauce is starting to get me really excited.

11lbs is AMAZING....glycogen or not! xx

morning shaz,

lets hope we get some good results as well, you look fab by the way
sue x

Thanks ladies, I feel so much better now I have a plan :) Going to stick to CD for 2 more weeks and shed as much as possible but spend the time really getting to understand Atkins :):):):) I will be watching this thread with interest and excitment.

Well, just back from the book store and equipt with a differed Atkins book and the veg/salad are there as per Dancing’s post in grammes.
I know the traditional thoughts or opinions of Atkins are as a full fat sausage laden diet but I am going to try as much as possible to lean cuts tofu etc otherwise I think I will get sick!
Another question (shoot me now!), there was another little book available with the carbs of everything counted – i.e. how much carbs in everything etc. Do you guys count everything or just work loosely around the guide and count the salad/veg aspect?
Also, I know it appears the protein is a free for all but it actually says in the book – eat as much as you need to feel satisfied! LOL – that has always been my problem so I take it I can’t eat 50 burgers then a day? Do you guys count the amount of meat etc you have or just eat as much as ya like?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Hi Mitten

Personally I eat freely of anything Dr A says to eat freely of and count everything else, including coffee and sweetners. You do need to make sure you are getting enough fat in terms of oils, butter, etc, else the diet doesn't work. Lots of people swear by the carb guides, but everything is well labelled these days, so I tend to go by that.

Dont worry about asking questions. We're all on a learning curve

Pinks
xxxxxxxxx

Thanks Pinks! You are doing great by the way with Atkins - is that 11lbs in 2 weeks you have lost?
How do you know how much carbs are in coffee etc and how do you know how much fats are enough?
With regard to burgers and sausages - do you check the carb count of each or just aim to get the most pure/butchers best cut of them?
Do you literally count each hald tomatoe etc you eat and the carb content of it?
Seems like there is a lot more to this than meets the eye!

Yep...11lb in 2 weeks...am very pleased.
Carbs in coffee etc are all in the carb counter at the back of the book. Also says how many tomatoes etc. I only have about 4 cherry tomatoes cut up in a salad as they're a bit higher in carbs.
Always buy the 100% beef burgers, sausages always have the carb count on the packet, but the high meat ones are very low.
As regards your fat, put a little butter on your veg, dress your salads with lovely extra virgin olive oil, have full fat mayo. Its so delicious to eat these things when you've spent a lifetime buying the low fat versions :)
Pinks
x

Wow - you are doing so well - 11lbs is brill. Was that straight from Cambridge or just a total start to Atkins?
I will a read through the book again tonight, i want to be 100% sure of what i am doing when i start on Monday!It just seems so alien to even consier cheese or oils after literally a lifetime of low fat and deprivitation!! Will have to just embrace it i guess!!!

morning shaz,

lets hope we get some good results as well, you look fab by the way
sue x

Hi hun, Thanks! I think the pictures are flattering! My thighs are very big, hence Atkins. Heres to all of us guys...I'm raising a glass of water!!
x

I did three weeks on Cambridge sole source, then straight into Atkins induction. I was too weak willed for Cambridge. I love food too much.

I was very worried about all the things you mention...who ever heard of being able to eat butter and double cream and fry ups and still lose weight. But it works, it really does. My OH and I are both doing it and we feel great.

I go to the gym three times a week and do an aqua aerobics class. Prior to this I was a real couch potato. Well, you dont get to over 20 stone by being a gym bunny, do you? But there I am, not quite lycra clad, but working out with the best of them.

I love Atkins, its brill. Gives you your social life back, too. You will love it, I'm sure

Pinks
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Pinks that is so exciting to read - I thought the losses would be much less on Atkins - I went today for my 2nd weigh in on CD and I have lost another 6 lbs so that makes just 1 lb short of a stone in total - I talked to her about the fact I am struggling not eating and that I think I will give it a month and then look to changing to a low carb diet (didnt mention Atkins) - she was great and said that is exactly what she had done although she did SS for longer and then worked through the programme for a couple of weeks - she has maintained her weight through low carb diet. I felt she was very supportive and even said I could continue to buy CD packs from her so I am well on track to be back into my size 8 jeans by the summer!!! :D:D:D

hello girlies. I have not been feeling too well on CD and have had repeat infections. Not blaming the CD but perhaps it is not for me at the mo. Anyway starting last week I uped my plan but then went away for the weekend (again :( ). I decided to eat atkins style and found it was very easy to get on with and I was able to choose something from every restaurant we went too, even having brekkie in bed at the hotel! I am toying with the idea of sticking with the atkins plan, so will be picking your brains for ideas.
Today I had some cheese and salami for brekkie as I needed to go shopping. Lunch was Tuna and mayo salad and tonight I am having tescos finest chicken breasts with roasted onions, bacon and marscarpone. 6.0g of carb for 1/2 pack and scrummy.

I'm loving this thread...thanks Pinks.

Today I had Bacon/egg/mushroom for brekky
Ham salad lunch
Tuna omlette for tea. Isn't this diet FANTASTIC.

I like your idea Dancing to use half a CD shake to add flavor. I think I'll do that too. I'm off to Boots to stock up on my chocolate chip cereal bars for Breakfast (otherwise I'll end up eating way too many eggs)....plus the chocolate indulgence bar!! Perfect for when you have people round and they are all eating chocolate cake....a nice creamy coffee and my bar of chocolate and I'm a happy bunny. Ooowww I hope it works.

morning all, Forgot to say I made some yummy snacks yesterday. I bought a bag of spicy cheese from tesco cheddar, mozerella and jalapeno peppers. It was with the bags of grated cheese. I put little piles on a baking sheet and put them in a hot oven until golden and bubbling. Let them cool down and voila ! crispy chewy yumminess.
Also got some frozen cheese omelettes. 2 for under a pound and great when in a hurry. Just pop them in the oven go get dressed and hey presto brekkie ready.

Back