Tinsel's food diary

Thanks Red Riding Hood, glad you find it useful! I did make the carrot and ginger soup, it's a very easy recipe from a WeightWatchers book I have. I think it was just carrots, onions, ginger, garlic and stock boiled together and then blended: I will dig it out for you later.

It's not as nice with powdered ginger but I find the fresh stuff a pain to peel. However, I've now discovered the Very Lazy ginger, which is just pre-shredded ginger in a jar of vinegar and it's free (at least I assume so, as it's included in free recipes from SW books). They do Very Lazy garlic and red chillies too, I use them all the time now in my cooking.

Lost a measly half pound at WI last night, boo. Not going to let it get me down though, the scales are still going in the right direction. Plus I did have a four-day holiday and max syns for the last two weeks, not to mention switching to a later meeting time so that when I was weighed I had already had my tea whereas previously I have had it after. Still averaging a pound a week, so that's good. Hopefully my Success Express week will give me a boost next Monday.

Well done :) 4 days off and still a loss!! You've given me hope for this WI now after my few days holiday!

Good luck this week.. Keep going :)

X

Second Success Express day, I actually feel like I've lost a bit of weight already so hoping to see a big loss next Monday!

Breakfast
42g low-fat cheese (HEA) on toast (HEB)
Big plate of melon
Banana
Latte (HEA - rest of skimmed milk allowance used in coffee throughout day)

Lunch
Jacket potato
Tuna and 3tbsp extra light mayo (1.5 syns)
Salad with Salad Light dressing
2 squares Galaxy (2.5 syns)

Tea
Spinach and ricotta pasta (HEB - recipe came in little booklet from this month's SW mag)
Steamed green beans and carrots
Satsuma

Snack
Hardly felt hungry at all between meals so didn't snack much: just one small satsuma and a mug of home-made tomato soup
Plus a gin and slim while watching telly (2.5 syns)
And 2 squares of Galaxy and a Skinny Cow hot choc for supper (4.5 syns)

Total: 11 syns

Last edited:
It's a technique I heard about on these boards for speeding up weight loss. This is how it works:

Meals can be a mixture of red and green free foods.
2/3 of every meal must be superfree.
You can only snack on superfree foods between meals (unless using syns or a HEX).
You still get 5-15 syns a day, but if something would have a different value on red and green you take the higher value.
You have one or two HEA and two HEB, from either red or green options.

I think I'm doing it right, hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Success Express day 3. Managed to use all my HEXs in just one meal today!

Breakfast
Cheese on toast (HEA, HEB)
Banana
Hi-fi bar (HEB)
Latte with 200ml skimmed milk (HEA, with the rest in coffee through the day)

Lunch
Bowl of superfree tomato soup
Lemon and coriander couscous with chickpeas and green beans
Satsuma
2 squares Glaxy (2.5 syns)

Tea
Cod fillet
Courgette, carrot and cabbage ribbons
Bisto parsley sauce granules (2 syns - in a rush to get to Brownie meeting or I would have made a free one. These are very nice though)
Raspberries and blueberries

Snacks
Satsuma
2 squares Galaxy (2.5 syns)

Total: 7 syns

Right, time to dash to Brownies, TTFN!

Fourth day of Success Express: definitely not going hungry (feel like I've done nothing but eat today, felt ravenous!) but stomach's started to make some very odd grumblings with all the fruit and veg I am putting in it. Was considering doing two weeks but I think one week will be my limit for now.

Breakfast
Whole bag of Tesco Value fruit salad, defrosted
Banana
Kellogg's milk choc Fibre Plus bar (HEB - these are lovely, so much nicer than Alpen Lights and even the Hi-Fi bars! They're like a proper chocolate bar)

Lunch
Superfree tomato soup
Coriander and lemon chickpea couscous
Strawberries and grapes

Tea
Quorn peppered steak
Mashed swede
Steamed cabbage and broccoli
Roasted courgette, carrot and aubergine (got a lot of veg in so cooked up loads. Whatever's left will go in a curry tomorrow)
Syn-free onion gravy
Home-made strawberry cheesecake (6 syns for a quarter slice. Made from a Splenda recipe which appeared in one of the SW mags. A lady brought some samples to our taster evening on Monday as well as copies of the recipe, it's really nice. Never had a recipe which makes Quark actually taste of something before!)

Snacks
350ml skimmed milk in coffee (HEA)
42g Cathedral City Lighter (HEA)
1/2 Hartley's jelly sachet with fresh strawberries and a WeightWatchers dessert recipe yogurt on top (1 syn)
Fibre Plus bar (HEB - I don't see these lasting long! Lovely afternoon treat with a skinny latte from my milk allowance though)

Total: 7 syns

Last edited:
Success Express day 5. Will be quite glad to be back on greens next week and be able to have some chips!

Breakfast
Cheese and Quorn chicken slices on toast (HEA, HEB)
Fibre Plus bar (HEB)
Satsuma
Banana
Latte made from skimmed milk allowance (HEA, with the rest in coffee)

Lunch
Pasta n sauce packet meal
Salad with Salad Light
WeightWatchers dessert recipe yogurt
Grapes

Tea
Vegetable and chickpea curry (apart from one tin of chickpeas, all ingredients were superfree)
Rice

Snacks
Splenda cheesecake (3 syns)
Tea with semi-skimmed milk (0.5 syns)
Carrot sticks and butternut squash dip (superfree)
Grapes
And I will be having some wine in a bit...

Total (for now): 3.5 syns

Ok, last two days of Success Express over the weekend. Didn't really keep a food diary, just tallied my syns, but I think this is what I had:

Friday: bottle of white wine in the evening, woops! 26 syns

Saturday

Breakfast
Melon
Cheese on toast (HEA, HEB)
Fibre Plus bar (HEB)
Banana
Latte made with HEA (rest in coffee)

Lunch
Leftover curry and rice from the night before

Tea
Jacket potato with tuna mayonnaise (1.5 syns)
Salad

Sunday

Breakfast
Fibre Plus bar
Banana
Latte made with HEA (rest in coffee)

Lunch
Went out to a pub for lunch for my nan's birthday. I ordered a jacket and beans with an extra side salad, but they put cheese on the jacket even though I didn't ask for it so had to count a HEA, and the salad was mostly peppers, which I hate. Managed to pick out a few mixed leaves and red onion slices though.

Tea
Onion bhajis and Moroccan green beans (both recipes from the 100 Green Recipes SW book)

Probably a bit more wine in there somewhere. Anyway, I had 92 syns for the week, which is really too many for someone like me with less to lose: I have to try and stay within 70 this week. Glad to have a bit more flexibility now my Success Express week is over. Will find out this evening how it's affected my weight loss!

WI today after my week of Success Express and I lost 4lbs, so chuffed! Got my half stone award and Slimmer of the Week too, which I'm never normally in the running for as I can't compete with the larger losses of those with more to lose. Biggest lost I've ever had I think, normally I have to fight for every half pound! I only hope some of it doesn't catch up with me again next week now I'm back on green.

So, green day today (which was nice, as to be honest I'm sick of veg a bit!).

Breakfast
Kelloggs Fibre Plus bar (HEB)
Latte (HEA, with rest in coffee through the day)
Banana

Lunch
Onion bhajis and Moroccan green beans (left over from last night's tea)
Satsuma

Tea
Home-made chips in 1tbsp olive oil (HEB)
Baked beans
42g Cathedral City Lighter (HEA)
Ketchup (3 syns)

Snacks
4 squares Galaxy (5 syns)
Skinny Cow hot choc (2 syns)
1 choc orange segment (2 syns)
WeightWatchers yogurt
Apple

Total: 12 syns

Last edited:
Back