to get to goal (gold) do we really need to be within 20-25 bmi?

Fatty_no_more

Slimming for my children
ok its an ideal weight but i know that BMI is based on third world countries and I am a typicl hippy and booby lady.

My highest bmi at 25 is 10 stone 1 and i havent been that since i was about 13!!!

When i was 21 i was 11 and a half stone and that was a perfect size for me.

whats the case?
x

I thought we set our own goals?

If you can get a letter from your GP saying that they are happy with your weight loss and that you are at a healthy weight for you, then WW will give you your gold membership.

Its to stop people who are 20 stone saying their goal is 19 stone and then getting free WW for the rest of their weight loss. It's just to make sure you're at a reasonable weight before you are given free meetings. :)

so i could say my goal is 11 stone even if thats a bmi of 26? x

You have to wait til you get to that weight, then see your GP. They'll probably not want to sign anything until they can see you at that weight and see how you feel then.

I'm build like a truck, but I'm just dandering along with my weightloss and seeing how I feel, and how easy the weight is to lose as it comes.

I do agree that there's no point in absolutely suffering to get into the holy grail of bmi, but just chill out and let your body get there before you worry about it all. You never know, you might get there and be happier that way. x

Im actually quite shocked about this! I understand the whole 1 stone off and then free for life but weight loss is all about making your life better, so what if you dont want to be super skinny just healthy but the doctor disagrees with you?

I know once I'm in my BMI healthy range I look ill!! Not to mention the fact I cannot maintain it!

Same with me this is why I mentioned it. I have 7 stone to loose to get to bmi of 25 and that just seems so unrealistic. Not to mention hard!

Oh well my aim is to loose as much as i can before having another baby and then if I can, either follow ww or sw therough the pregnancy so I don't put on 5 stone like with my son. X

Fatty_no_more said:
ok its an ideal weight but i know that BMI is based on third world countries
x

What is your source for this please? It's not something I have heard of before.

The BMI range is a pretty large one. In my case I can be between 9st 2lb and 7st 4lb - almost 2st. That is more than enough to distinguish between most different body types (unless you are really muscular which most of us arent). I'm 5 foot nothing with huge boobs so 9st 5lb certainly wouldnt make me over skinny.

That said, you have a right to be any weight you want to be, so if you are happy with your goal when you reach it then that's great and that is where you should stay :)

i was told by ww that its between 20 - 25 for your bmi but recently ww have changed it to 20-24 for your goal weight,,but i've still insisted on my goal being 9st11 and thats a bmi of 25:D

If you genuinely feel that you get to a weight you are happy with, and you body fat level is within normal ranges, any doctor would be mad to encourage you to lose more just for a BMI level. And if they won't get a second opinion. The only thing is in that case one would be affected by stuff like getting ivf funding or weight loss surgery as they go by bmi statistics.

I have my concerns about my weight/bmi but I'm really not gonna cack myself over it now because there is no point... theres no point in taking more worries on board when this journey is already such a difficult one.

p.s bmi is not based on eastern people:

"International variations

These recommended distinctions along the linear scale may vary from time to time and country to country, making global, longitudinal surveys problematic. In 1998, the U.S. National Institutes of Health brought U.S. definitions into line with World Health Organization guidelines, lowering the normal/overweight cut-off from BMI 27.8 to BMI 25. This had the effect of redefining approximately 25 million Americans, previously "healthy" to "overweight".[11] It also recommends lowering the normal/overweight threshold for South East Asian body types to around BMI 23, and expects further revisions to emerge from clinical studies of different body types."

oh dear!!! I don't understand why ww has put this limit!! I had never heard that before!!! And it is not to stop people saying they want to lose a stone and then get the rest of their weight loss for free as you only have 5lb (roughly) either side of your goal weight before you have to start paying again!!! So it wouldn't be any benefit for them!! I am a big boned girl!! I would look ridiculous if i was too skinny!!! So like everyone else i am just gonna go along with my weight loss and stop when i find a weight that FITS ME!!! i will not make myself lose weight just to meet standards that are forever changing!!!!!

oh dear!!! I don't understand why ww has put this limit!! I had never heard that before!!! And it is not to stop people saying they want to lose a stone and then get the rest of their weight loss for free as you only have 5lb (roughly) either side of your goal weight before you have to start paying again!!! So it wouldn't be any benefit for them!! I am a big boned girl!! I would look ridiculous if i was too skinny!!! So like everyone else i am just gonna go along with my weight loss and stop when i find a weight that FITS ME!!! i will not make myself lose weight just to meet standards that are forever changing!!!!!

On your details you've put your goal bmi as 21, that's more than enough inside ww standards..

yeah i know it's my goal on here but i'm not sure if it's my ideal goal though!! Its just half way inbetween what is healthy for my height so i just stuck it in their lmao!!! I think if i was 11 or 12st for my height i would be ok!! but will just have to see what i feel comfortable with!!!

Back