TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

jezzi999 said:
-2.5lb! Yes yes yes! Hurrah!

I really need that, not just for working hard last week, but because today will be hard and that will keep my mind focused. My friend lost her baby last month. He was 4 months old, and had never left the hospital, he was just born too sick. The funeral was last month and was heartbreaking (it was a Muslim funeral and at one point they opened the coffin and we all lined up to go look at him, which was... difficult).

Anyway they don't have a wake on the day, they have it 40 days later (today). So it's going to be a very emotional day, and after the funeral I did do some emotional eating. Not binging, but completely off plan.

Not going to do that today. The wake is being held in a restaurant, and I think the food will be Bangladeshi/Iranian, so hopefully I can find some plain rice and daal or something and keep to minimum. Food is an important part of the process for them, so I'm not going to be rude and refuse it, but just eat one small plate.

I'm only 1 3/4lb off of my first 1/2 stone loss, so I need to keep that in my mind. If I keep on track I should get that within the next 2 weeks.

That's really really sad. I hope today goes as well as it can. I know this is tough love thread but I cannot berate you for emotional eating at a time like that I think that affect anyone negatively. Stay in control today as planned though food will not make it any easier and you don't need guilt about eating off plan on top of all the other difficult emotions you'll have to deal
With today. So sad :(

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I think what I need to remember is that emotional eating won't actually make anything better.

no it wont, but you cant change what you did then you can just control where you go from here. stay strong and plan as much as you can, could you eat before you go and prepare something for when you get back so when you go just have something very very small? im sure they arent going to be offended under the circumstances, although its a hard day for them and you and you dont want to upset anyone you still need to put yourself first....perhaps say you feel too upset to eat? and just wait til you get home if its all food that will spiral you out of control?

No naughtiness from me so far today and I am in the kitchen busily cooking up my low syn picnic stuff :) 2 tortillas, flavoured chicken with rice and veg, veggie pakoras and a big fat salad!!

Managed to get velvet crunch at morrissons today btw so will take those too!!

I went to a black tie dinner this week. I rang beforehand and asked if they would do me a special meal, and followed up with an email setting out in detail what I can have and amounts. I had a starter salad with small piece of lobster and main course with lots of low carb and green veggies and small piece of veal. It was delicious. Strange as before Alizonne, I would have eaten portions of protein 3-6 times larger. Sure - I'm sure I would have enjoyed the roast potatoes and pudding - but I choose to stay on plan, and felt good about that. I was also satisfied both in taste and amounts to eat.

I also stayed off the alcohol - hard as delicious wines were being served. I was glad and felt virtuous for staying on plan. I used to feel embarrassed at the idea of having something special. Now I feel it's important for me and at this event, like others, people are pleased to help me. I haven't had alcohol apart from raising a glass at my step daughter's wedding since mid December. Who knew I could do that? It really underlines to me that you just have to do this one day or one meal or one event at a time.

Today is a special day for me - I am into the 13s - last seen in the 1980s - at 13st 12.8lb. if I had deviated at the dinner on Tuesday I wouldn't be in the 13s now.

That leaves me 1st 13.3lb to goal and just 0.06% to go to 35% of starting weight lost. Still in size 16s - the size 14 jeans don't pull up yet though the brown linen 14s now do up - but aren't yet decent! The size 16 jeans are loosening and need their belt.

I also cleared my house of ebay clothes this week. I had kept the better clothes size 28-24 plus the recent charity shop and Asda clothes (jeans size 22-18 and tops, mostly) that I've shrunk through with the intention of ebaying them - but hadn't got round to it. I had a flash of inspiration and found a trading assistant on the Ebay search who lives near me and has a great feedback rating. She has taken all my clothes (including big bras which she says sell well) to sell for 20% commision and eradicated the clutter in one fell swoop. Yea!

Ali

I need this! It's taken me four months to lose 9.5lbs, pathetic I know. I hate my body but I just keep eating, my losses are so slow. I exercise a lot as well which is even worse, imagine how much I must be eating to be losing 3lbs a month...someone give me a kick up the backside please! Don't hold back!

I think what I need to remember is that emotional eating won't actually make anything better.

I was thinking this last night. Seems so obvious but comfort food doesn't bring comfort - it brings you discomfort and discontent with yourself and your body. Plus feeling guilty afterwards. I'm the same though, the minute I'm upset or angry I just want to eat. It is difficult to stop :(

I need this! It's taken me four months to lose 9.5lbs, pathetic I know. I hate my body but I just keep eating, my losses are so slow. I exercise a lot as well which is even worse, imagine how much I must be eating to be losing 3lbs a month...someone give me a kick up the backside please! Don't hold back!

Welcome, Kirstie.

The Big Fish is away - so on his behalf, I won't kick your behind - just talk straight to you.

This isn't about punishment. It's about holding you to account. So you need to decide. Are you fit or fat?

You are 5ft 9 so 91/2stone seems a very low target weight. Your goal should be sustainable. How old are you? what's your weight pattern been? When were you last 91/2stone and for how long? What size are you now and at goal?

Are you doing Slimming World or another plan? Do you actually do it and deviate or have huuuuge protions? On line or at the group? Where are you deviating? what happens? When? With whom? What's stopping you?

This is a great thread - and Rod and the folk here lovely, compassionate and tough! We'll help you sort it out.

Ali

Right, just checking in....as an aside...can't believe rod accused me of girly chit chat ;)

Had a small wobble on Thursday. Went to an concert...took my healthy snacks, an that was grand. The food wasn't an issue, was the booze. Didn't drink at the gig, but afterwards I had two more than I had planned...and that my plan allows.

Needed to fess. Am back on plan, and being strict with it.

Lesson learned....won't be doing it again.

Welcome Kirstie. I do SW and it has worked for me, so I can only assume that you aren't following the plan 100%. I follow Extra Easy and I really do find it easy. I have also listened to Paul McKenna's "I can make you thin" and follow his four golden rules:

and DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER!

I tried this a few years ago but wasn't that successful, but it really worked once I started Slimming World. Rule 2 seems to go against the SW ethos, but I made them work together - by eating what I really wanted from the free and superfree food and within syn limits. I found that these were the foods that I really wanted. e.g. smoked salmon with quark on crispbread; fruit with low fat fromage frais . . . I have written a few blog entries about my journey. Feel free to have a read and see if something there helps you.

Do you go to a SW group? If so, what has your consultant advised you?

I also back up what Ali said - do you really need to set your target so low? Perhaps an interim target will give you the motivation to get there quicker and then you can re-evaluate once you're there . . .?

Well done on the exercise - this has helped me to lose the weight and re-shape my body (see if you can find my before and after pix). You really must be overeating to not be losing more weight. It's time to confront the issues and sort them out.

You have found the right thread on the right forum, so stick with us and we will keep you on the straight and narrow, and help you to discover where you are going wrong and how to put it right.

Last edited:
Jezzi

You were all in my thoughts. The loss of a child is especially hard to take.

Ali

if your not sticking to it 100% then im surprised youve actually lost anything, as looking at your stats you are well within your healthy bmi range...what size clothes are you in? if you want to lose more you are going to have to do it 100% and accept that the thinner you are the less calories you need and youll have to reduce portion sizes, cut out snacks and exercise a lot to drop to the bottom end of your bmi, and the other thing is you have to rea\lise that once you do reach target youll have to keep it all up to stay there or youll just put it all back on. its upto you where you want to be and as long as your not under weight then its ok, but if you want it your going to have to work really really hard to get there...no excuses so make a decision, do you want it enough to commit 100% if not, set your target where your at now and learn to be comfortable at the weight your at.

All went well. Very sad, in some ways sadder than the funeral itself, we looked at pics of him (as none of us had been able to see him in life due to infection risk) and some readings and poetry etc.

Food was Iranian so wasn't too bad, to be honest mainly stuck to a heap of crudités and salsa, but had a falafal and a dolmade (stuffed vine leaf) and 2 salmon/cream cheese bites. Steered well clear of honey cakes, cheesecakes, profiteroles etc. Luckily I dont have a sweet tooth - although cheesecake is a fav - but as always my polite but firm response to people trying to force dessert on me is "I don't like cake!".

Tomorrow is a bit more cheerful as OH and I are off on a days jolly to Brighton - our favourite place - I'm cool about that as I know two different places we can eat where I can stay on plan, so I can just look forward to it and not worry too much about willpower.

so sorry it was a hard day, sounds like it was successful in terms of your diet though well done..enjpy your holiday

I went to a black tie dinner this week. I rang beforehand and asked if they would do me a special meal, and followed up with an email setting out in detail what I can have and amounts. I had a starter salad with small piece of lobster and main course with lots of low carb and green veggies and small piece of veal. It was delicious. Strange as before Alizonne, I would have eaten portions of protein 3-6 times larger. Sure - I'm sure I would have enjoyed the roast potatoes and pudding - but I choose to stay on plan, and felt good about that. I was also satisfied both in taste and amounts to eat.

I also stayed off the alcohol - hard as delicious wines were being served. I was glad and felt virtuous for staying on plan. I used to feel embarrassed at the idea of having something special. Now I feel it's important for me and at this event, like others, people are pleased to help me. I haven't had alcohol apart from raising a glass at my step daughter's wedding since mid December. Who knew I could do that? It really underlines to me that you just have to do this one day or one meal or one event at a time.

Today is a special day for me - I am into the 13s - last seen in the 1980s - at 13st 12.8lb. if I had deviated at the dinner on Tuesday I wouldn't be in the 13s now.

That leaves me 1st 13.3lb to goal and just 0.06% to go to 35% of starting weight lost. Still in size 16s - the size 14 jeans don't pull up yet though the brown linen 14s now do up - but aren't yet decent! The size 16 jeans are loosening and need their belt.

I also cleared my house of ebay clothes this week. I had kept the better clothes size 28-24 plus the recent charity shop and Asda clothes (jeans size 22-18 and tops, mostly) that I've shrunk through with the intention of ebaying them - but hadn't got round to it. I had a flash of inspiration and found a trading assistant on the Ebay search who lives near me and has a great feedback rating. She has taken all my clothes (including big bras which she says sell well) to sell for 20% commision and eradicated the clutter in one fell swoop. Yea!

Ali

I think you're amazing. Nothing else needs saying!

All went well. Very sad, in some ways sadder than the funeral itself, we looked at pics of him (as none of us had been able to see him in life due to infection risk) and some readings and poetry etc.

Food was Iranian so wasn't too bad, to be honest mainly stuck to a heap of crudités and salsa, but had a falafal and a dolmade (stuffed vine leaf) and 2 salmon/cream cheese bites. Steered well clear of honey cakes, cheesecakes, profiteroles etc. Luckily I dont have a sweet tooth - although cheesecake is a fav - but as always my polite but firm response to people trying to force dessert on me is "I don't like cake!".

Tomorrow is a bit more cheerful as OH and I are off on a days jolly to Brighton - our favourite place - I'm cool about that as I know two different places we can eat where I can stay on plan, so I can just look forward to it and not worry too much about willpower.

Well done for going and supporting them. How sad. Life just isn't fair. XXX

-2.5lb! Yes yes yes! Hurrah!

I really need that, not just for working hard last week, but because today will be hard and that will keep my mind focused. My friend lost her baby last month. He was 4 months old, and had never left the hospital, he was just born too sick. The funeral was last month and was heartbreaking (it was a Muslim funeral and at one point they opened the coffin and we all lined up to go look at him, which was... difficult).

Anyway they don't have a wake on the day, they have it 40 days later (today). So it's going to be a very emotional day, and after the funeral I did do some emotional eating. Not binging, but completely off plan.

Not going to do that today. The wake is being held in a restaurant, and I think the food will be Bangladeshi/Iranian, so hopefully I can find some plain rice and daal or something and keep to minimum. Food is an important part of the process for them, so I'm not going to be rude and refuse it, but just eat one small plate.

I'm only 1 3/4lb off of my first 1/2 stone loss, so I need to keep that in my mind. If I keep on track I should get that within the next 2 weeks.

You know what Jezzi, some things are so much more important than us stressing out on our diets. Kind of puts everything into perspective. I really hope today went ok for all concerned. xx

Well I WI this morning and managed a 1lb gain. Not bad considering I was off plan for 5 days on holiday. Managed my restaurant meals no bother due to advanced planning but the BBQ was hard going and also I had my skirmish with a bag of Butterkist Popcorn which I am now well and truly cured of! Luckily I'm not a BBQ kind of person so don't need to worry about that cropping up again. Still was a little disappointed on the scales - I think that's unavoidable when you are used to consistently losing - but got perspective on the situation now. Actually got a lot of perspective from reading Jezzi's posts just now.

On a lighter note, wonder how many bass have jumped into Rod's net? Hope he does well - can you imagine what a foul mood he'll be in if not. Our lives will be a total misery! :D

Jezzi, well done on dealing with something so tough without comfort eating. That must have been really tough

Ali, thanks for your post on not drinking. It really helped me last night. I was able to have one shot of soju (Korean rice spirit) within my calorie allowance and nothing else. I wasn't able to dance as vigourously as I liked however because my leggings kept falling down- they were too big and went in the bin this morning!

Hope you guys are all okay with the weather back in the UK. My home village is flooded!

Well done Jezzi. Last week in my sw group I was amazed by the excuses people gave for their poor results: my daughter had a baby was one, my mother is ill was another and "i'd like to join you on your alcohol free July challenge but it's my birthday this month". Thank you Jezzi for showing us all how even in the most awful circumstances we can stay on plan. Food and alcohol will always be there but we have the power to make choices.

jezzi999 said:
(and yes there are definitely more important things in life than us stressing about our diets, but I also kept telling myself today that giving in to eating crap wouldn't actually change anything for the better.

The sad thing would still have happened, everyone would all still be devastated, and the only thing that would have changed would be that tomorrow i'd have been p'd off with myself for emotional eating, or binging or whatever.

What happened was truly terrible, but that doesn't mean I should use it as an excuse for me to eat crap. )

Brilliant attitude and will power of steel, I'm very impressed!! Your an inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back