Travelling alone in Austrailia / New Zealand

Louise24

Gold Member
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to go and visit my best friend in New Zealand in March.

However, I thought I may as well see a bit of Aus while I'm over there, I have 4 weeks off work and want to spend approx 2 weeks in oz and 2 in nz.

I'll be on my own and am a bit scared, I've looked at organised tours, sounds great, but it's over £1k for a 2 week tour for Caines to Sydney, which is expensive, plus I don't really like what they have organised.

I only have one "must do" and that is to go diving at the great barrier reef, I'm not bothered about anything else, but would like to see a bit of sydney.

Has anyone done this on their own? Do you have any advice? I'll be fine in NZ as I'll be with my friend, just trying to work out the oz bit, will be a shame to fly into sydney then fly straight out again (most flights to nz go via oz)..... suggestions and advice very much welcome xxxx

Well I haven't been on my own but I went with my wife about 9 years ago now.
We spent most of our time in and around Sydney and later in Cairns.
Both my wife and I felt very safe in Australia where ever we were.
My wife had a conference in bondai beach for the first 5 days so I went off on the bus (public transport) most days (as Bondai beach is a bit out of town).

After this we spent a few days in Sydney, we stayed in a hostel in the city centre (near china town). later we took the train to the blue mountains (2 hours journey), and spent a couple of days taking in the scenary and doing long walks. we then came back to Syney for a few days before taking a cheap internal holiday to cairns (the only restriction was you had to be in the country at least a week before going, why I don't know), this included airfare and a week in a motel.

Cairns is not a big city so a motel is pretty much walking distance to everywhere. There are a lot of backpackers in Cairns and plenty of places to stay, it has a very relaxed atmosphere and very friendly. there are a lot of places to buy day trips in town.

We went diving on the reef twice whilst we were there. We went on a large sailing boat to the reef (I love sailing) and on the way we had a lesson on how to dive.

Bye the way be sure not to go in the box jellyfish season.

we also went rafting for a day and we went to Kuranda a couple of times, taking the cable car through the rain forest and taking the train back again.

After this we flew back to Sydney for a few days before going home :(

The conference my wife took part in was a bit last minute (for us anyway) we didn't book anything at home but there is plenty of stuff you can organise when you're there. We took a lonely planet guide with us but I don't think this was really necessary as you could find lots of offers in and around town.

As I said we felt very safe wherever we went in Australia, the people are very genuine and friendly (in our experience).

I've never been to New Zealand but my best friend and his family has recently emigrated there, so it's on the list for the future.

Sorry to have waffled on a bit but I hope you have a great holiday.

I went travelling on my own in SE Asia and I was never alone as you constantly meet new people on trips or in guest houses.

Do it, you never know when you'll be back on that side of the world, so may as well make the most of it!

Thanks to you both for great advice..... lots of people go on there own, so I'll be fine - just the small question of paying for it now, don't suppose anyone can help with that? Hehe x

Back