Trying SW chips tonight

Bunnylush you have great taste :D I lurrrrrve sprouts, I got a big bag today and Im gonna have it alllll on my own. With brown sauce on :p :cool:

I left a few,they didn't taste as good as normally, when they taste ok I could eat a plateful ;)

Tomorrow night I'm attempting celeriac with piri piri shake on,with salmon ,maybe sprouts that need eating,maybe not. Any tips on celeriac bring it on! I'm a celeriac virgin :0

I think google pics will tell you more than me. It's a round rooty ugly veg. Used like potatoes, apparently the celery taste lessons when cooked. Lots of people on here make chips with it. X

I'm not helping your question here.... what is celeriac? Because the word kind of reminds me of celery I'm already thinking :yuk:

Celeriac is one of these:

celeriac06261152.jpg

It does smell quite a lot of celery when you're chopping it up which worried me the first time as I *despise* the stuff, but once it's cooked you can't really tell. That said Ive only ever roasted it as chips and sprinkled a bit of seasoning over which probably hides any taste.

I am an avid celeryphobe though, so if I can handle it I expect most people will :D See my Superfree chips thread here

I left a few,they didn't taste as good as normally, when they taste ok I could eat a plateful ;)

Tomorrow night I'm attempting celeriac with piri piri shake on,with salmon ,maybe sprouts that need eating,maybe not. Any tips on celeriac bring it on! I'm a celeriac virgin :0

I chop off the ugly wrinkled/hairy bits but leave the rest unpeeled, but that's just personal preference.
Then cut it into chips, about 1-1.5cm wide, stick it in a pan, add boiling water, bring back to the boil THEN simmer for 2min, 3min max (or it goes soggy). Drain and chuck in a tray to roast in Fry Light and whatever seasoning you fancy.

I tend to keep it in foil for the first 15 min to make sure its cooked through, then give it 15-20 min with the foil off to let it crisp up. I dont know if this is necessary though. Its just I usually prepare it earlier so its easy to just stick in the oven when I want it, so it needs a few mins to warm up.

Enjoy your superfree chips! :)

Thanks,I may sprikle piri piri on them,as I've not tried that either yet. Not sure what other veg I have available to go with salmon x

Really?? I'm very surprised. I never ever par-boil my potatoes first, and they always come out lovely!

I usually chop my potatoes into chips/wedges, place into a bowl, add a few sprays of FryLight, few twists of the Chilli & Garlic salt grinder (or whatever flavourings you like), mix & place on a baking tray. Bake until golden brown :)

I just couldn't be without them! xx

My celeriac chips with piri piri shake

They were ok , I'm not sure I liked the taste or not. I ate them, but had to use a tbsp salad cream to do so. The thin crispy ones were nicer than the fat ones.
I may try them on a green day hex b cheddar ontop. Served with baked to perfection salmon

Attachments

• image-4173511738.jpg
    image-4173511738.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 73
has anybody done sweet potatoes the SW way?? fancy trying them but dont quite know whether to peel them or not & what they will come out like

Whenever ive done the normal chips i dont par boil mine but the red potatoes do make the best chips

has anybody done sweet potatoes the SW way?? fancy trying them but dont quite know whether to peel them or not & what they will come out like

Whenever ive done the normal chips i dont par boil mine but the red potatoes do make the best chips

I often do sweet potato wedges - I peel off any nasty bits. I don't par boil, but then I don't par boil the ordinary ones either. They are fantastic! If you can afford a syn or two for some honey or sugar when they are nearly cooked and then bung them back in for 5 - 10 mins they caramelise even more. Yum!

Back