Tummy tuck op

Mrs Pink

Banned
Hi all
I am at the start of my journey but can already tell that by the time I lose all my weight I am going to have skin like a set of elephants pyjamas ... my tummy is going to be flapping down around the pubic area .. yuk .... did you know the medical term is "apron"? How gross is that?!?!
Anyway has anyone out there had a tummy tuck - and if so is it worth it? Can you get it on the NHS and if so what are the prerequisites? ie do you have to maintain for a year etc?
Mrs P

Icemoose is having one soon, there are a couple of members who have had one but cant remember who they are.

Hi Mrs Pink,

I have just made an appointment with a surgeon at BUPA next tues about a tummy tuck as I have been told that due to all the shortages in the NHS that from now onwards it is highly unlikely anyone will get it done on the NHS. There will of course be exceptions and I guess its a postcode lottery but a lot of medical boards who have to approve this type of surgery are now declining it sadly.

I cant really afford to have the op, however I am only 25 and my 'apron' severely affects my self esteem and confidence so I after a great deal of though consideration and agonising I have decided to pay for it myself. Its about £5500.

Good luck, even though my 'apron' affects my psychologically and after losing 7 stone and maintaining for 2 years - I still do not qualify for it on the NHS.

S2BS
X

Hi S2BS
I think you should change your name to "Skinny At Last!" Well done you.
Please let me know how you get on at the Drs - good luck! I'll let everyone know in due course what reaction I get from the local medical authorities where I liove..
Mrs P

Hi S2BS
I think you should change your name to "Skinny At Last!" Well done you.
Please let me know how you get on at the Drs - good luck! I'll let everyone know in due course what reaction I get from the local medical authorities where I liove..
Mrs P

i'll be most interested to hear how you get on.

hi, i had a TT last June before i started lighterlife and after the birth of my second child. I also had a large apron of fat( 10lbs!!!) which has now been sucessfully removed! I paid privately for it because my experience with my GP has always been difficult and i have always been made to feel that i have to argue my point.
I went to Bupa and was told what I had been telling myself for years, that the only way i was ever going to get rid of my spare tyre was a TT. It was a relief to hear from someone who had the knowledge and not to be turned away and told to do more sit ups as i had been in the past.
My surgery has changed the way i feel about myself completely and although i have a large scar i feel better than I have done for many years and definitely more confident about my body.I still have weight to lose but it was my tummy that made me feel fat and unattractive.I am very active/sporty anyway so I carry the rest of my weight quite well.It is definitely the best 5K i've ever spent and would do it again if i had to.:D

Thanks Harri
Can I ask - is the scar pale (like my c-section scar I was going to say - but thats no help as you havent seen it!) or is it red and raised? Do you feel you could comfortably wear a reasonably sized bikini if you wanted to? (I mean the type with more than a wee bit of string holding the "front bottom-coverer" on?)
Ta
Mrs P
Mrs P

Hi,

My husband has promised my a TT and an uplift should I "Ever" manage to shift all this unwanted weight:sigh: I know its going but every time I get weighed I want that little bit more!!:cry: ungrateful or what!

SO I am really interested to hear all about your experiance as I am such a coward I hate going to the doctors the thought of a fully blown opp puts the fear of god into me.

How long does a TT take and how long before you feel back to normal

Love
Lighter ME x

I have been looking into having a TT, the NHS will not approve it as it seems to be a post code lottery, so i'm looking to go private. A friend of a friend had her's done in South Africa, much cheaper. I have e-mailed the surgeon & sent pics (who also does his consultations in Harley street before booking the TT in SA) i have been quoted £2,200 alot cheaper thatn in this country. It's something that i must really think hard about before going ahead, i also need to do much more research to make sure i'm 100% happy with doing this. I do have the support from my hubby and he would be happier if he came with me!.....xxx

I have been to transform and to WGA plus bupa, I am having to pay for it myself as I am worried that my dr would just dissmiss me, and what with the NHS at bursting point is it really fare to expect it on the NHS?............
but when the sugeon saw me he said that the apron was in loose skin about half a stone in weight which when its gone would make me my ideal weight for my hieght I am going to book for septmeber,

i also assked about a boob job as I have shrunk to a D cup from and E/F but all they would offer me was an uplift which would take me down to sizes what would be the point in that?.................................

so no new boobs just a better tummy coming soon!

hi, Mrs Pink! my scar is flat and looks like a scar should!:D It isn't red or raised and yes i would definitely wear a bikini but not a string one:eek: ! It does go from hip to hip though and apparently sometimes, depending on how much skin and fat needs removing you may need a vertical cut upwards towards the tummy button (apparently i was lucky to get away without this).I don't know the reason why people would need that:confused: .
;) It is the most painful cosmetic surgery you can have apparently and i can remember spending the majority of the first week post op in bed.I wasn't able to stand straight upright for over two weeks as the skin is tightly stretched and usually internally stitched and externally stapled:( .
I was unlucky enough to have an infection so needed two courses of antibiotics and i only got those because i am a nurse myself and knew that the wound was looking inflamed and red and the discharge smelt infective(yuck):sign0137: .They may not tell you also that post operatively there is often a lot of discharge that comes out of the wound (dead cells and serous fluid mainly), i mean pours out of the gaps between staples etc( not nice) but if you are prepared for this then it isn't such a shock!I had to have thick dressings on around my tummy for 2-3 weeks.This may sound like a total nightmare but I would definitely do it again if i had to and would recommend it to anyone who felt like i did about myself.;)

Thanks for that Harri, a good informative post --- I can't wait to be of a weight when I can get one done.

Cath

yeah ta harri! Sounds worth it to me.
Mrs P

Hi Harri,

You look young in your picture - can I ask as you have now had a tt would it be advisable to have a child (at some point -Ie a year or two after TT) or should you not?

Asking as friend is in for TT in next 3 months and may want a child at some point in the future.,..:)

Great post, thanks!

So now I need to save at least £10k+ for the TT and the BU!!! Any idea about bingo wing surgery, oh and thigh wobbles too!!

I reckon I am going to need it all...maybe a full body transplant??? LOL

Hi Harri,

You look young in your picture - can I ask as you have now had a tt would it be advisable to have a child (at some point -Ie a year or two after TT) or should you not?

Asking as friend is in for TT in next 3 months and may want a child at some point in the future.,..:)

I'm interested to know this too! I will probably be in the market for getting up the duff within the next 1-3 years (sooner if my mother in law could have her way!) - but I have been assuming that there'd be no point in having a TT until afterwards.

i would definitely have the sprogs first and then go for the TT.They got rid of all my pregnancy stretch marks so now I have a nice flat tummy and nice skin! A friend's sister has had children after a TT but not sure what state her tummy is in now so can't really give any definite advice.I'm definitely not ruining my five grands worth for any more babies anyway!!!:D

Back