Type 2 Diabetes - anyone 'nearly' diagnosed?

Thanks Han, i'll try not to be too paranoid then! I just really want to see those number drop next week and not have to add full blown diabetes to my health worries.

Having said that, if it doesn't work out then I will do my best to stay as healthy as possible.

I will be seeing the doc again very soon but meantime I am just back form my swim and i feel so much better. Managed to do 10 lengths, slowly but surely and then had a lovely jacuzzi. I feel a lot better for it both physically and mentally, I know I am helping myself and that is a good feeling.

Only slight snag, came back from the pool absolutely starving and had a cup of tea and a rich tea biscuit. I don't think that's too terrible, it's not like I ate the packet, but still is that OK? I am really cutting out the sugar and processed stuff but I figure you can't get much plainer than a solitary rich tea. What do you think Claire? I want you to keep an eye on me if you truly don't mind, hence the confession re the biscuit.

Hey, im soooo sorry, ive had no internet since i was last on, its killed me .... anyway, eat sugar ... please dont ban yourself from anything, use the motto, in moderation, otherwise you will end up havin a binge ..... i eat sugar, but i can control mine with insulin ... but if your craving sugar post exercise, have some as you would have just burnt loads off anyway ... and yes i will deffo keep an eye on you .... hopefully my internet wont go off again .. hehe ... your doing well Barb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Had a bit of a moment last night post 30 day shred dvd to see my OH staring down at me!

My own fault I hadnt eaten enough *slaps wrists* I need to take better care of myself!

Hope that everyone is ok!

Ruth
x

Had a bit of a moment last night post 30 day shred dvd to see my OH staring down at me!

My own fault I hadnt eaten enough *slaps wrists* I need to take better care of myself!

Hope that everyone is ok!

Ruth
x

Ohhhh Ruth, dont let me have to tell you off now ....... Next time get somethin down ya before you exercise or you'll be no good to anyone ... bless ya, sending hugs :flirt2: xxxxxx

Thanks Claire, I will stop being quite so all or nothing then. I have really stepped up the exercise, been every day and have joined the aqua aerobics class 4 days a week! 45 minutes of very lively exercise, still recovering from yesterdays! Great fun though and really do feel better for it. Had my blood test today so should know the numbers tomorrow, will be glad to have a definite, either way really. Whatever happens I am getting myself in to a healthy way of life. I deserve it.

Ruth, hope you feel better today, sounds like you have been going a bit too hard at it. Please take care, it's no good if you make yourself ill.

I know I've been silly just been rushed off my feet and I've been trying to do everything it all went a bit mad! My boss has given me 2 days off work which is nice :) so this is day 1 and also weigh in!

Hope everything goes ok for you Barb!

Ruth
X

Thanks Ruth, hope weigh-in is good for you!

i've had a few hypos recently because i had 3 days in a row of junk (3 meals out in 3 days...) and it seemed to shock my body a bit. But I feel a lot better now I've accepted my gain and got back to normal.

Just gotta learn to take better care of myself, silly hannah

The results are back, blood sugar is down from 7.6 to 7.2 but that still makes me 'officially' diabetic. I am just so upset. I hope you are around Claire as I just feel beside myself.

The results are back, blood sugar is down from 7.6 to 7.2 but that still makes me 'officially' diabetic. I am just so upset. I hope you are around Claire as I just feel beside myself.

Hi Barb, please dont be upset :( .... thats nothin compared to what my results are like (currently 8.4 & previously 14.7) ... trust me, that result can go down .. and its not even bad .... they expect a good level to be 6.9 and below ... so what are you, like 0.3 above ...... with your diet n dedication, you will get it down !!! and plus being diabetic isnt all bad, I live a perfectly normal life (obviously i work hard to do that) but i know you will be ok ... now get that smile back on yer face ........... xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Whatever happens I am getting myself in to a healthy way of life. I deserve it.

QUOTE]

You already said what i need to say Barb :flirt2:

Thanks Claire, I know you are right, so why do I feel like the end of the world is nigh? I have to get my head round it but I just feel so sad. I have told my DH and he was fantastic, pointing out how well I am doing on my healthy eating plan and swimming/aqua.

Seriously, do you really view .3 above the norm as not that awful? I wish i felt like that; going to see gp tomorrow if I can and discuss. Thank you so much for your kindness and understanding. Huge Hug.

A non diabetic would have fasting bloods of between 4 and 7 mmols ... overall bloods (hba1c) similar .... so trust me your not that far off .... and its nothin to be sad about ........... i would kill to be in your position but thats another topic all in itself as i had no choice in my illness ..... but you now have the power in your hands to put whats gone wrong, right ........ keep that chin up ... rem, if we werent sent these things in life to try us, we wouldnt be the person we are today and i know that your a strong person, make diabetes be somethin you remember you have once every 6months rather than have it be the first and last thing on your mind .... my diabetes has to be the first n last or i wouldnt be sat typing here today .... you can make it happen (i bloody sound like some quote from a book now lol ) .... trust me, dont let it be the be all n end of life ... life should start to be more fun now because you need to be determined to live it and not let it beat you :flirt2: hugsssss xxxx

Thank you Claire, I know you are right and I am absolutely determined to make myself the healthiest person i can possibly be. I won't be defined by the diabetes, I am lucky enough to be able to help myself and do some good. I wish that were the case for you; you give me all this encouragement and yet I can't help you at all. Your struggle is so much harder, it just doesn't seem fair.

You are helping me get my head round this, I am so grateful Claire, sending you a very large hug!

Ah you dont need to help me ... for me i think its been easier, ive been diabetic so long that i do not remember a life without it ... whereas i think gaining diabetes or any illness later in life is hard because your changing your life dramatically, so im happy to help ... (one of the reasons i went in to becomin a nurse ) .... keep it up Barb ........ im off work next week so i will be around a hell of a lot more to support you :cool: ..... sending all my love xxxxxxx

Told my kids yesterday about the type 2. They were shocked, supportive and my eldest son looked very worried. He is 30 now and seriously overweight, I said to him that in view of my diagnosis he should visit his gp, but he is reluctant and very much in denial. Which i totally understand. It's no good pushing people, but i would love him to benefit and learn from my experience, maybe in time he will.

Seeing the doc today to discuss the future for me. I am hoping she will be pleased to see that I have made dramatic changes to my lifestyle and that I view them as permanent. I'll let you know how it goes.

Any doctor is happy to hear of a change in lifestyle ... they bang on about how ppl should quit smoking, eat better and not drink ... and ppl dont listen to them ... so when they hear that someone has actually made them changes they suggest, it makes them very happy ....... your doing suupperrr !!! i think any person who is overweight should listen to the warnings of diabetes, as theres millions undiagnosed and its really sad when they find out too late, eg .. they are going blind or even gain a horrible infection and need their leg cutting off ( ive seen this happen, its horrendous) But Barb, you have found out early and its so good that you have a second chance to turn it all around :flirt2: ... As for your son, now diabetes is in your family, he does need to be careful, and changing his diet would help his risk tremendously ... so try and encourage him ...... rem, diabetes isnt a serious condition unless its left to get serious ........... keep up the hard work :flirt2:

Thanks Claire, good advice and encouraging as always. You are helping me so much. I'm just back from the DLC - did 8 lengths and then 45min aqua aerobics. Since joining 17 days ago I have only missed one day and that was because of my blood test appointment. I am totally committed and I am going to do my best to make DS1 see what some action now could save him. He is always tired, heaves himself out of chairs and puffs about like an elderly man; he is just 30 and it breaks my heart to see him like it. If I can change my life, anyone can, perhaps when he sees the evidence before his very eyes he will believe it and react. I certainly hope so.

Big hugs Claire. xxxxxxx

I LOVE how your attitude is changing by the day ... at first you obviously felt like your life was over (its understandable) .. and look at you now ... i mean, i know not every day is guna be plain sailing but havin good n bad days is sooooo much better than havin 100% bad ...... Its a shame not all people react to a health scare so well .... if i was your nurse, id be giving you 1million gold stars ... Your an angel :winner: .......... As for your son, i think most people are similar to him, they just need that bit of reality shock so i think maybe seeing your situation should spur him on ..... and he will feel like a 30yr old not a 60yr old :flirt2:

Thanks Claire, tbh I am feeling a bit down again. Just seen my gp and although she seemed slightly pleased about the weight loss and exercise she seemed keener to talk about how progressive Diabetes is and that medication is inevitable. In fact she wanted to start me straight on it. I said I wanted to think about it. I am having another fasting test in one month and based on those results I will see. Do you think I am mad? I know she does. She went along with it but I found the whole visit very depressing, I was feeling so much more upbeat and now I just feel mixed up.

Hope you can help, I need some sensible words in my head about now.

Back