Waaaaay Off Topic: Jade Goody

Huseyin .... Fact ... The media will always try and put a negative spin on Jade Goody because of her past. That is a fact. When she collapsed doing the London Marathon the media only broadcasted the fact that she had not trained enough, they didn't talk about how much money she had raised for her charity. Every single thing Jade does will always be tainted by the media because of her past. I have never been a fan of Jade and I admire what she is doing. You may not like to admit it but her predicament is raising the awareness. It is a fact of life. She is in so many magazines and who reads these magazines?

I have had a family member die from cancer and it is so hard for them to do anything as they are in constant pain. She has decided to share her experience with the world, whether that generates money for her family or not is totally irrelevant, she has made the decision. Who are we to say that she doesn't give out enough money? Who are we to say that she has enough money set back for her kids?

It still amazes me that people can be so gullible and cynical to the extent of saying that she is doing what she is doing for sympathy. It slightly annoys me to be honest.

Everyone keeps saying she has millions! how do we know. Yes she is in a reality show but she has a deadbeat boyfriend, a Mum who could not raise her properly let alone now try and raise the kids, The Father who has now come out of the woodwork and said he wants the kids )another deadbeat) Good luck to her making as much more money as she can, its going in a trust fund for them two. I bet the 3 hangers on will have fun trying to spend it and do their kiss and tell. What is to tell if Jade is doing herself? She lost a lot of money and credibilty through the "false" exercise DVD, the Big Brother fiasco and constantly bailing her fella out. Its her money, her life what is left of it. Leave her alone...............And for the record I do not like her as a person. But I hate "CANCER" It destroys everything so quickly and we need people, celebrities, press seekers to shout out when they have got it and to try and raise awareness.
Can you imagine the stories if someone big in the Male fraternity announced they had "testicular cancer"

Reactions: DQ
Its good to disagree ;)

I hear you on the kids thing, surely after the millions she has already she does not need to gather any more cash for them.

If she did this i would have more respect. Make the show and donate all proceedings to the cancer trust. By keeping it all herself is Selfish what about other people out there that are dying, they dont get publicity or money to do a show.

Her kids dont need anymore, they are already going to be well off as it is and her brand names will ensure that for years to come.

So when she gives money to people suffering form cancer and decides to actually donate to cancer trusts then she has respect. Until today what has she done for the sick or poorly people, how much has she donated.... Zero, zip, nada.

How do we know what she has and has not donated?

Jeff Brazier, father to her 2 boys isnt a deadbeat dad. He has always been involved and it is with him the boys are staying with now and will be living with when Jade sadly goes.
As for her not raising awareness, I too have to disagree. I work with teenagers whose big interest in live is that of celebrity. Jade is a big topic of conversation and has led to many discussions in class about her cancer and what they can do to prevent it.
While watching her is uncomfortable I have to applaud her reasoning. Lets not forget she is a poorly educated 27 year old who is doing the best she thinks she can in the circumstances. I take my hat off to her.

3 of my mates have booked a smear - directly as a result of what has happened to Jade scaring the bejesus out of them. That is all the proof I need.

I cannot believe some people are so mean spirited. She is dying and I can only imagine the terror she is feeling. The last thing she will be thinking about is how strangers may be feeling. Until you have faced your own mortality you do not know how you will react and it is easy to take the moral / superior high ground

I am actually really upset by Jade's story - I'm quite embarassed by how much to be honest. I'll admit that I am neither a fan nor a critic - she was just always there in the background until this

xx

I actually quite like Jade Goody, even though I have often been appaulled and shocked by her behaviour, particularly when she was in the BB house. I have always believed this behaviour is born out of ignorance and not maliciousness and ignorance is to be pitied not hated.

At the end of the day she is a young woman who did not have a great start in life and a loving mother who is dying of cancer. She has lived her adult life through the media and to a certain extent that is what she knows and is comfortable with. I do not consider that I have the right to judge how she deals with her situation or how she chooses to spend the remaining few months of her life.

As for what she does or does not give to charity, I don't consider that to be any of my business - what we do or do not give to charity is personal choice irrespective of how much or how little we earn.

x

I can't stand her but would obviously not wish this on anyone. I don't even blame her for milking it for all it's worth financially for her kids either. It's what I'd do.

I would have a little more respect for her in generalt if she had nothing to do with Max clifford though.

well put porgeous
daisy x

Can you imagine the stories if someone big in the Male fraternity announced they had "testicular cancer"

I have no comment or opinion to make on Jade, other than to say it's a tragedy for her, her family, her friends.

But the above line hurt me greatly. "Male" cancers like prostrate and testicular cancer are virtually ignored. Add prostrate and testicular cancer figures together and they add up to about 3/4's the number of sufferers of breast cancer. But we hear so little about them.

We (men) often hear phrases like "if breast cancer was a male disease, it would be cured by now", (as if we don't love our mothers, sisters, daughters, wives)yet we have our own cancers, which are criminally underfunded, and there's virtually nothing out there about them - they are not put out there and to be honest, there seems to be little readily available support. There has been one or two campaigns to get men to check themselves and that's all I've seen in the media in my entire life.

I can imagine that if craig from big brother got testicular cancer, the media wouldn'thave much to say at all.

Lance Armstrong got a fair bit of coverage after he started his charity.

The Testicular Cancer Resource Center Celebrity Page

Alan Stubbs (then of Celtic) had it twice - and most people don't seem to even realise it, despite the fact he played at the time for one of the most successful football teams in the world.

Reactions: KD
I used to work in a hospice and the thing that made me realise that I had to get out of there was the sight of two very young (around early thirties) women dying of cervical cancer. Can I just say that they suffered so badly during that time, and one of them actually died and could not have her family present during her death because she haemorrhaged horrifically and this terrified me and I thought of her constantly for months. I always remember the smell in the hospice when they were in - I can only assume it was a rotting smell, but it stayed with me for a long time. I still think about those two young women and the suffering they and their family went through. Those poor children.

I still have delayed getting my smear done, which was due in November, but I am going soon to have it, and I will say that Jade's current predicament has made me certain that I won't forget, even though I also have the experience of those two young women in my mind.

I am certain that Jade will certainly ensure that the take up rate among young women, who previously thought that cervical carcinoma would happen to someone much older, will go up drastically.

As for commenting on what she does with the time she has left, her money, and what she should or shouldn't be doing is so grossly out of order. It's really upset me to be honest. I neither like her or dislike her, I actually don't know the girl personally, so how can I have an opinion on that? I do watch some of the programmes she's on and admit that the Big Brother thing was unfortunate, but she's such a caring mum from those programmes and loves her boys and family and friends massively from the evidence I can see. I do think she has a big heart.

It's so, so tragic. Even if the girl drove me to distraction, which she doesn't, I coudn't even think ill of her at this time, because her life now is horrific and she and her family have only suffering ahead in the next few months.

None of us know what money she has given, and I certainly don't think it's her job at this time to think about those people. I'm sure that she's got other things uppermost in her mind. And if she wishes to do all she can for her family in the little time she has left, then good on her. I think I'd be so extremely selfish and insular in my last weeks that I'd never comment on what she was doing for others.

Some really unfortunate, tactless and uncaring comments in this thread though and that makes me even sadder.

I used to work in a hospice and the thing that made me realise that I had to get out of there was the sight of two very young (around early thirties) women dying of cervical cancer. Can I just say that they suffered so badly during that time, and one of them actually died and could not have her family present during her death because she haemorrhaged horrifically and this terrified me and I thought of her constantly for months. I always remember the smell in the hospice when they were in - I can only assume it was a rotting smell, but it stayed with me for a long time. I still think about those two young women and the suffering they and their family went through. Those poor children.

I still have delayed getting my smear done, which was due in November, but I am going soon to have it, and I will say that Jade's current predicament has made me certain that I won't forget, even though I also have the experience of those two young women in my mind.

I am certain that Jade will certainly ensure that the take up rate among young women, who previously thought that cervical carcinoma would happen to someone much older, will go up drastically.

As for commenting on what she does with the time she has left, her money, and what she should or shouldn't be doing is so grossly out of order. It's really upset me to be honest. I neither like her or dislike her, I actually don't know the girl personally, so how can I have an opinion on that? I do watch some of the programmes she's on and admit that the Big Brother thing was unfortunate, but she's such a caring mum from those programmes and loves her boys and family and friends massively from the evidence I can see. I do think she has a big heart.

It's so, so tragic. Even if the girl drove me to distraction, which she doesn't, I coudn't even think ill of her at this time, because her life now is horrific and she and her family have only suffering ahead in the next few months.

None of us know what money she has given, and I certainly don't think it's her job at this time to think about those people. I'm sure that she's got other things uppermost in her mind. And if she wishes to do all she can for her family in the little time she has left, then good on her. I think I'd be so extremely selfish and insular in my last weeks that I'd never comment on what she was doing for others.

Some really unfortunate, tactless and uncaring comments in this thread though and that makes me even sadder.

Perfectly put x

I too have put off having my smear but will address it asap.

We (men) often hear phrases like "if breast cancer was a male disease, it would be cured by now",

Yep, and I have to admit that years ago, I used this same phrase:eek: Of course, it's absolute rubbish.

yet we have our own cancers, which are criminally underfunded, and there's virtually nothing out there about them - they are not put out there and to be honest, there seems to be little readily available support.
Very true and an excellent point. Fortunately things are getting better, but way too slow.

I can imagine that if craig from big brother got testicular cancer, the media wouldn'thave much to say at all.
Now I wonder about that. If Craig had stayed in reality TV (I assume he hasn't) and made the same decision as Jade about having it filmed, maybe it would raise more awareness of what men have to go through.

I also wonder how it would be received by the public. Whether he would have the lashings that Jade gets. Nothing to do with gender in this point. Just makes me wonder whether it's not the fact that she's having this recorded, but because it's Jade.

Alan Stubbs (then of Celtic) had it twice - and most people don't seem to even realise it, despite the fact he played at the time for one of the most successful football teams in the world.
Again, it might have been because he chose not to have much publicity broadcast about it. Definitely his choice.

Very good points though. Really got me thinking

So..is the criticism for Jade's desire to have her last months recorded and viewed basically because it's Jade. Would people feel the same if it was someone who was well liked by the majority of the public?

BTW, anyone been watching the Terry Pratchet programmes? What a great guy.

So..is the criticism for Jade's desire to have her last months recorded and viewed basically because it's Jade. Would people feel the same if it was someone who was well liked by the majority of the public?

If I am honest, I think it's because Jade is Jade. I've never actually seen her on anything but a magazine cover (I've never watched BB), so I have no idea if I would be swayed through actually knowing her (I'd like to think no).

I think the result would be the same if Jamie Oliver got it - lots of people criticise him and have done for years, despite the fact he seems a very nice bloke.

ETA: The reason I mentioned Alan Stubbs, was because he was very well liked but it's only football fans who know. I'm basically just arguing that just because someone has testicles doesn't mean they'll get more media play than a woman - if anything breast cancer is such a huge issue for all of us, that any famous woman will get media play whether she wants it or not e.g. Christna Applegate).

Cancer is a vile disease and I've lost more friends and family to it than I wish to count. My mum works with cancer patients on a daily basis - she is a community nurse, and deals particularly with breast cancer patients. How she does it is beyond me, there is barely a week goes by when she doesn't lose a patient.

As a result of Jade being in the public eye, she is highlighting cancer, and the devastating effect this has on lives. She is, like it or not, an influential character.

If Jade has, in some way raised awareness in teenage girls and boys, and highlighted the importance of them being aware of their bodies and of checking themselves regularly, then that is a good thing. It goes without saying that her suffering is not - I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Three years ago I found a lump in my breast, which thankfully turned out to be competely innocent. My experience certainly had an affect on my friends.

I remember my close friends feeling my lump, I remember us all lying on the floor while my mum showed us how to check, I remember the tears on the day of my scan, and I remember the feeling of sheer relief, and I remember feeling guilty "thank god its not me".

To this day we all still check our boobs, we all go for our smears - we figure that five minutes of horrible is better than the alternative, and we all take part in the race for life every year. So influence, however small, does make a difference.

I hate to use the word when but in this case it is when and not if...when Jade loses her battle, it will be incredibly sad, and no less devastating than everyone else who has lost someone they love. It is sad that her passing will be the focus of a media circus, and in all of this, the two people for who this will be the most heartbreaking is her boys.

So, I will keep her in my thoughts and hope that she has as lovely a time as possible, in the time she has left.

Very sad....

xxx

Like i said its tragic what is happening to Jade, more so her kids will be without a mother as a result which is very sad.

However she is a numpty and racist so therefore she has no respect from me. Anyone who gets off putting other people down is low.

Still i hope she somehow can overcome it

However she is a numpty and racist so therefore she has no respect from me. Anyone who gets off putting other people down is low.

Still i hope she somehow can overcome it

:eek: H, sorry, but you are doing the same thing that you profess to dislike so much in Jade. You don't KNOW the girl, so how is she racist? That was from one sad episode that was blown out of proportion by the media, and Shilpa Shetty also said that she wasn't racist I believe. Also, Jade has black father doesn't she?

I don't want to get into a race argument, or any argument for that matter, but does it not seem odd to you that you are doing her a disservice for some reason?

As for being a numpty, I'm lucky to have had a good upbringing and good education, so have done reasonably well for myself. Jade on the other hand didn't have this luxury, but despite this she's done very well for herself anyway. I think she deserves a pat on the back and I also think you should give her a bit of slack for the perceived things you believe she is guilty of - I assume you don't know her personally and either only heard what you did on the news or watched BB - have you not said things in anger and frustration that you regret? Apart from that episode, she's only guilty of being a little uneducated, which she totally admits to and might also play on a little bit, but that's what made her so successful before the BB debacle.

Oh, and she's definitely NOT going to overcome this, more's the tragedy! :(

:eek: H, sorry, but you are doing the same thing that you profess to dislike so much in Jade. You don't KNOW the girl, so how is she racist? That was from one sad episode that was blown out of proportion by the media, and Shilpa Shetty also said that she wasn't racist I believe. Also, Jade has black father doesn't she? I don't want to get into a race argument, or any argument for that matter, but does it not seem odd to you that you are doing her a disservice for some reason? As for being a numpty, I'm lucky to have had a good upbringing and good education, so have done reasonably well for myself. Jade on the other hand didn't have this luxury, but despite this she's done very well for herself anyway. I think she deserves a pat on the back and I also think you should give her a bit of slack for the perceived things you believe she is guilty of - I assume you don't know her personally and either only heard what you did on the news or watched BB - have you not said things in anger and frustration that you regret? Apart from that episode, she's only guilty of being a little uneducated, which she totally admits to and might also play on a little bit, but that's what made her so successful before the BB debacle.

Oh, and she's definitely NOT going to overcome this, more's the tragedy! :(

Yes it was, and if not at worst she is a bully. Granted she is uneducated.

I still will hope for her though, miracles do happen

Back