Waaaaay Off Topic: Jade Goody

My bestest friend died on the 28th December 2006 from the same cancer that is claiming Jade, cancer doesn't care who you are, what you earn or what education you've had, it cares not what attitudes to life you have, it has no regard for loved ones, it cruelly ravages your body causing pain, fear and heartache, no matter which path it chooses to take.

My heart breaks for Jades small boys - having 2 boys myself, I can't imagine the fear she & they are feeling.

I only hope that Jade is allowed to pass away from this world to the next in peace, that her sons know of the love their mother has for them & that we as a nation allow them to grieve in privacy.

debs xx

As the mother of 2 young children, the thought of leaving them in such a tragic way reduces me to tears.

Very simply if she feels the need to provide further for the boys that she is soon not going to be able to be a Mother to, then I completely understand and I doubt many of us would do it differently if in her horrendous position. Lets face it, I'm sure she didn't relish have camera's filming her whilst she was loosing her hair and being sick through chemo but she clearly was worried for their future without her and would do anything to improve this for them. She is simply a loving mother and is doing the only thing she can which will make her boy's lives easier when she is no longer here.

I am not a callous person, but when it comes to the world of celebrity, I really don't have a lot of time...and I am the first to admit, I have no idea what even 1% of them are up to...so maybe my opinion of Jade doesn't really count as I am not a fan therefore...

I must admit, I get sick of all the celebrity stuff we get shoved in our faces these days - but - I don;t think of JG as that kind of celebtriy. Shes not Britney - she's not Lohan, she's not someone used to a media life - she was just some simple kid that got chosen (expolited?) on a show.

For goodness sake, do any of us really think she would have had the smarts or life experience to enable her to deal with what was ahead for her in the media life?

So I guess I have a soft spot for her for those reasons, and I do believe she was exploited. Always have.

And she has made me laugh a lot, and smile at her simpleness - sometimes it's quite endearing really. And at times, she has made my head go round the bend as well.

So - I have a lot of forgiveness for her, and find it quite tragic and bittersweet that some kid raised by a mom with her own problems, who led a pretty lean life as a child, finally got a shot at living a good life, with fun expreiences that she could have and then share with her children - she was starting to grow up. And she was getting more and more savvy so made more money. Good on her. Isn;t that what we all work for?

And I think she'd have come out on top....eventually....cause people with good hearts usually do.

So, thats why I feel so sad about it.

I could give a TOSS how much money she had before - during - or after her illness. The more the better. I could give a TOSS if she gave one red cent to any single charity. Why should she. Most of us don;t. Not as much as we could. Truly. We could always forgoe the newest biggest fastest betterest this and that, and give the money to charity - but we don;t. We buy the faster car. The bigger screen TV. The newest games.

So - she is no better then anyone else on this planet. She certainly is no worse.

The only analogy that springs to mind is the boy who cried wolf...she so wanted attention and fame and now she finally has it for all the most horrible reasons...and some of us aren't listening now...

I am not a callous person, but when it comes to the world of celebrity, I really don't have a lot of time...and I am the first to admit, I have no idea what even 1% of them are up to...so maybe my opinion of Jade doesn't really count as I am not a fan therefore...

I understand where you are coming from on the celebrity thing as it has never been something that I have taken an interest in. But surely she is also a human being??

Like i said its tragic what is happening to Jade, more so her kids will be without a mother as a result which is very sad.

However she is a numpty and racist so therefore she has no respect from me. Anyone who gets off putting other people down is low.

Still i hope she somehow can overcome it

But you putting down Jade is ok?

Are you REALLY a teacher? :confused:

Not getting concerned with the whole racism/bullying row as I think this is beside the point. I don't have to like her to feel sympathy.

I also get annoyed with celebritydom...but I DON'T have to read the articles on her, or watch her show. And neither does anyone.

Yes i agreed with Kyle you don't need to be posting that LS.

My point is about Jade. I can tell you as a Teacher we are personally raising awareness of this and have been for the past few years could it not possibly be another avenue is what I'm saying

There is no doubt people will do it out of fear after seeing a person they idolise on TV. But for how long.

There is always need for evidence how can you base a rational argument without it.

Granted you work with Doctors and you see more and more people coming in, but i don't think its entirely related to Jade goody, its a combination of things.

You want evidence. Me and 12 (yes TWELVE) of my friends have all had these test in the last fews weeks after having a converstion about it at the beginning of the year, where before none of us had had one, or been overly concerned with it.

Proof enough? That's 13 people because it has been such high publicity. Difference made - and thinking a few other women have had this conversation too. I am sure you cannot argue with this one.

It is NOT all going to be down to this - but SOME will.

I think its sad that so many people go through this and do not get the "coverage" she has, BUT she has been in the public eye for a long time, and she is dying in it too.

She has openly said that she has been working so she can ensure her children can make it through Private School to give her boys the education she always wished she could have - and if you can call that selfish, I'm not sure what else you can ask. Its not like she is doing it to buy herself a new house is it!

Also agree with BL - she has no obligation to give money to cancer charities, because she is dying of it, and so are other people (I'm not saying it would be a great thing for her to do) - but we do not know whether this is where parts of her estate will go when she dies.

And as we seem to be demanding facts, I shouldn't think you would want to judge on that unless you had these.

And again for the record - I dislike this woman - but I do not think it is fair to begrudge the decisions she has made.

Last edited:
So - she is no better then anyone else on this planet. She certainly is no worse.

Exactly, I think I said similar in my ealier post...it is tragic though...I don't dispute that...either...

i disagree. i think she is making the best of something really bad, and trying to provide a future for her kids.

Yep, and she's getting a lot of support :)

.and some of us aren't listening now...

But many are :)
but when it comes to the world of celebrity, I really don't have a lot of time...and I am the first to admit, I have no idea what even 1% of them are up to...
I'm the same. I don't even recognise, let alone name most of the present day ones. I guess my heart goes out to Jade, not as a fan, or a celebrity, but just as a mum.

Don't care too hoots if she's famous or not. I only saw a glimpse of her in the first BB, and didn't see the celebrity one. I did happen to watch a couple of the latest TV progs on recently and was very moved by them.

so maybe my opinion of Jade doesn't really count as I am not a fan therefore...
I'm not a fan either, but don't have anything against her either. Just not my type. Still hate to think of anyone going through this though. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I really enjoyed the TP programme. And yes, it is very different. Wouldn't say it was necessarily better though. They are two completely different types of programmes. Compare horizon with Corrie (both of which I enjoy :D)

I really enjoyed the TP programme. And yes, it is very different. Wouldn't say it was necessarily better though. They are two completely different types of programmes. Compare horizon with Corrie (both of which I enjoy :D)

I never said it was better, as I deliberately qualified that one person is no more worthy than another...but Corrie ya can keep...and loads of other junk on the box for that matter...

but Corrie ya can keep...and loads of other junk on the box for that matter...

Will keep Corrie. It's the only soap I watch. In fact it's the only programme that I watch that isn't a documentary of some sort.

Corrie is a classic though :D

Well, I see while I have been off having a lovely afternoon and lunch with SlendaBlenda, quite a discussion has arisen here.

I must say, and no disrespect H - but I am glad you seem to be the only one who feels the way you do. You are entitled to your opinion, and I won;t say anything about that other then as you know I disagreed with you.

I am glad that despite her guffaws and antics, that people are mainly seeing the human side to this story.

As many have said - just because she HAS money, I do not understand though why you feel she HAS to give SOMETHING back. Why?? Why is her putting her family first selfish??

She is also not a multi millionaire, etc., as she recently lost loads of money. So she had to start over again. And she is doing it the only way she knows how. And bless her for having the opportunity.

Most uneducated women with children would have little to nothing to leave behind for them. At least she can die with peace of mind knowing her childrens future will be a far sight brighter then hers was.

H - just out of curiosity - do you do anything to raise money and give to cancer charitys or do you just think those dying should do that? ;)

I think she has repented for her "racist" remarks, which were a bit of naivety (sp?) more then racist - and peer pressure, etc. If Shilpa has forgiven her and said its not racist - then - in my mind - its not.

I might also add - every single day, I hear colleagues refer to "Paki's" "Going for a chinky take-away" , etc.

And I bet most of us here have said something that could be construed as racist - yet that was never the intent. So I think the whole race card thing, as usual, got blown out of ridiculous proportions to get the ratings on TV.

There is no one I have encountered in the UK, the States, anywhere - who has not slipped and said a "racist word", yet with no racist meaning behind it.

I wish her nothing but as peacefull an end tha one could have, and that she goes knowing she has done what she can for her children.

Have a go at the Government for not giving enough money to cancer research. Not some poor kid from London.

For the people asking, yes I have raised cash for cancer in the past, have had people close to me die recently of it too. I have done sponsored runs, raised money in schools for awareness

My cousin aged 25 died last week of cancer and his younger brother a few years back at 14.

This is why I'm very hot headed about this issue. It strikes a raw nerve inside at the moment.

You don't have to agree with my views on the woman, and i fully agree with Nex

I think I'm probably in the majority here in that I couldn't stand the ignorant racist when I she was in either Big Brothers. In fact, she encapsulates everything I loathe about soap style lives - ie. big rows where you don't listen to what the other person is saying, flouncing about etc.

BUT, come on, we're talking here about a 27 year old mother who only has months to live :cry: we can't imagine that. I know if it were me, I'd like to spend as much time as I possibly could savouring every moment with my little girl (not least that I'd worry working too hard would kill me off sooner) but I DIDN'T grow up with the kind of poverty Jade did. How can I judge her for wanting to make sure her sons don't either?

I had an unclear smear a couple of weeks before Jade was diagnosed (or when we all found out) and there but for the grace (and I'm a humanist) I have just had a clear one back. Mine was just a blip, hers was a death sentence.

I don't know if you've seen this article? I don't agree with every word, but much of it makes sense to me:
Jade Goody, a broken toy we made and want no more | India Knight - Times Online

Huseyin - a lot of people have extremely strong views on the subject because a lot of people have seen the worst of this disease. Athough, as you saw, for you it is probably rawer than for most.

Personally, my back was put up by the way you have said things on here. A few things you have said is opinion not based on complete facts, but yet demanded proof from others and saying the point was invalid without it. I also think, and yes something else I was thinking, is that for me, it doesn't matter WHO it is really or whether I like them or not. It is their choice and we do not know everything.

I'm sure you can see by everyones reaction that this is a topic that MANY of us feel hot headed about. Sometimes these subjects need slightly more tact and appriciation of what could offend or upset others more.

For the people asking, yes I have raised cash for cancer in the past, have had people close to me die recently of it too. I have done sponsored runs, raised money in schools for awareness

My cousin aged 25 died last week of cancer and his younger brother a few years back at 14.

This is why I'm very hot headed about this issue. It strikes a raw nerve inside at the moment.

You don't have to agree with my views on the woman, and i fully agree with Nex

I'm sorry to hear of your loss :(

xx

I'm saddened by the situation that Jade has found herself in too. I would not wish it on anyone.

I have to say that I admire her in lots of ways. It is a true but sad fact that many children of deprived backgrounds are destined to lead the same lives themselves, yet she has (even with her limited education) risen above what could have been very limiting factors for herself and made a decent life for herself and her children.

Why would she not want to continue the legacy for them, by basically just continuing with afterall what is just her "day job"?

I think it is her right, as it is any of us, to spend the money we earn in any way we like. I also think there is a big difference between "raising" money by sponsored walks etc, and donating a chunk of your salary.

I am 100% gutted by what is happening to Jade.. I just cant get over the fact that a girl of 27 with 2 young children is going to die in the next few weeks.. remember out of site out of mind.. i didnt think about smear tests or anything until i heard about jade, and i can gurantee to you on a NUMBER of other forums i use (sorry minimins) that hundreds of women are now rebooking their missed smear tests, and women under the age of 25 are now fighting for smear tests, all as a result of Jade Goody.. I agree with everything shes doing atm, raising awareness, getting money for hr children and family.. I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like to KNOW you are leaving everyone and everything you love behind you, for them to cope and fend on their own.. not being able to see your kids become teenagers.. see their 18th birthday.. watch them finish school.. I dont care if shes famous, or not famous.. or if shes made mistakes in her life, cos tbh, who the hell hasnt..
Im proud of the things shes doing which could potentially (and i bet it does) save other womens lives.. I dont gt involved with celeb stuff.. dont know who most people are.. lol.. but i think kudos to anyone who can be able to prevent other unnessasery *sp* deaths..
x x x

btw.. corrie is the only thing i watch too.. apart from documentories.. hehe

The issue of smear testing is something very important to me at the moment. As a young woman i had several positive results for pre-cancerous cells, resulting in a colposcopy. My results have since been clear. A friends daughter had several bad results over the last couple years, the result being that she will probably not be able to carry a baby to full-term if she became pregnant. Another close friend is also going through similar experiences, having to have 2 colposcopies to date. I recently had to decide whether to allow my 12 year old daughter to have the new HPV injections they are now offering in schools; i didnt hesitate to say she should have it. If all the publicity surrounding JG means that one young woman is saved from cervical cancer, then it will have been worth it, in my opinion. I think she is very brave. Embarassingly, i too cried today when i heard she hasnt got long to live. I cant imagine what she is going through. xx:cry:

Back