Waaaaay Off Topic: Jade Goody

Anyone who gets off putting other people down is low.

I'm sorry but it occurs to me that this is exactly what you have just done.

:eek: H, sorry, but you are doing the same thing that you profess to dislike so much in Jade. You don't KNOW the girl, so how is she racist? That was from one sad episode that was blown out of proportion by the media, and Shilpa Shetty also said that she wasn't racist I believe. Also, Jade has black father doesn't she?

I don't want to get into a race argument, or any argument for that matter, but does it not seem odd to you that you are doing her a disservice for some reason?

As for being a numpty, I'm lucky to have had a good upbringing and good education, so have done reasonably well for myself. Jade on the other hand didn't have this luxury, but despite this she's done very well for herself anyway. I think she deserves a pat on the back and I also think you should give her a bit of slack for the perceived things you believe she is guilty of - I assume you don't know her personally and either only heard what you did on the news or watched BB - have you not said things in anger and frustration that you regret? Apart from that episode, she's only guilty of being a little uneducated, which she totally admits to and might also play on a little bit, but that's what made her so successful before the BB debacle.

Oh, and she's definitely NOT going to overcome this, more's the tragedy! :(

Well said

xx

Might be time to agree to disagree, people... arguing will get us nowhere.

Anyone who gets off putting other people down is low.

As others have said, this is exactly what you are doing. So yes, she is uneducated. Is that your excuse too? ;)

How, by stating fact and what i saw?

By putting somebody down. You state them as facts as you saw them but things are very rarely that clear cut and you weren't there.

There are people in the celebrity world that I have little time or respect for based on what I have seen and heard however, I also acknowledge that I don't know them personally and therefore cannot have a truly accurate view just an assumption. In any circumstance to cast judgement on someone in these circumstances I feel is in appropriate.

Reactions: KD
By putting somebody down. You state them as facts as you saw them but things are very rarely that clear cut and you weren't there.

There are people in the celebrity world that I have little time or respect for based on what I have seen and heard however, I also acknowledge that I don't know them personally and therefore cannot have a truly accurate view just an assumption. In any circumstance to cast judgement on someone in these circumstances I feel is in appropriate.

Completely agree that the comments are inappropriate (and upsetting).

I know you have strong opinions generally H, but give the girl a break! ;)

Must admit I have been 'putting off' my smear test and ignoring reminders for over a year.
Jade's situation has shocked some sense into me and I have now booked mine.
My opinion on Jade is this.....she's human...just like all of us, good points, bad points and all the stuff in between.
Her current situation is sad and tragic and I don't wish it on anyone.
As a 'fellow' human my thoughts are with her and her loved ones.

Well, I see while I have been off having a lovely afternoon and lunch with SlendaBlenda, quite a discussion has arisen here.

I must say, and no disrespect H - but I am glad you seem to be the only one who feels the way you do. You are entitled to your opinion, and I won;t say anything about that other then as you know I disagreed with you.

I am glad that despite her guffaws and antics, that people are mainly seeing the human side to this story.

As many have said - just because she HAS money, I do not understand though why you feel she HAS to give SOMETHING back. Why?? Why is her putting her family first selfish??

She is also not a multi millionaire, etc., as she recently lost loads of money. So she had to start over again. And she is doing it the only way she knows how. And bless her for having the opportunity.

Most uneducated women with children would have little to nothing to leave behind for them. At least she can die with peace of mind knowing her childrens future will be a far sight brighter then hers was.

H - just out of curiosity - do you do anything to raise money and give to cancer charitys or do you just think those dying should do that? ;)

I think she has repented for her "racist" remarks, which were a bit of naivety (sp?) more then racist - and peer pressure, etc. If Shilpa has forgiven her and said its not racist - then - in my mind - its not.

I might also add - every single day, I hear colleagues refer to "Paki's" "Going for a chinky take-away" , etc.

And I bet most of us here have said something that could be construed as racist - yet that was never the intent. So I think the whole race card thing, as usual, got blown out of ridiculous proportions to get the ratings on TV.

There is no one I have encountered in the UK, the States, anywhere - who has not slipped and said a "racist word", yet with no racist meaning behind it.

I wish her nothing but as peacefull an end tha one could have, and that she goes knowing she has done what she can for her children.

Have a go at the Government for not giving enough money to cancer research. Not some poor kid from London.

I hate the big C with a passion, it has affected my family directly, three times now...but celebrities and their lives should really be kept quiet as possible...I'm not Jade fan...and it peeves me to see so much valuable airtime, page space taken up by such piffle...no I would not wish cancer on anyone, but please! Bah...Have been watching the series on Terry Pratchett (alzheimer's), which in my eyes is a much better way of dealing with things of this nature...so does this mean one person is more worthy than another...again no...Jade might've been better off just sloping off earlier in her 'celebrity' career, before she became highly annoying, then perhaps more people would be more sympathetic.

Sorry but... are you serious??

Wow, I'm quite glad I'm not as active on here anymore, and didn't come across this thread earlier. Oh my god - it's shocking. How closed minded can a select few be?!

Huseyin... you've never been one to offer your opinion quietly or diplomatically, often 'telling' people how things are - despite not always 'knowing' - rather than simply offering your opinion or advice. This thread is a classic example of needing to insert a speck of humility and common sense to know that what you are saying is about as thought out, open minded and far sighted as the end of your nose.

My biggest bug bear are people that feel the need to preach and make loud 'holier than thou' statements about things they do not understand, or haven't really thought about. You do not learn common sense in a text book, a class room or a statistical analysis... it is plain to see the affect the Jade thing has had on society... just talk to someone in the know - it HAS made a difference.

Anyway - my two pence worth... I feel very very sad for Jade. I am not into idolising celebrities - I skim on the surface of that 'world' myself, and they are just people trying to get by as much as the rest of us. It may seem they earn loads of cash, but it comes and goes at the same speed (you should see the sizes of some of their mortgages!)... who says Jade has cash in the bank??

Their 'job' may seem glamourous and superficial - but it's just different - a job is a job, and despite being a total plank at times, Jade has been very good at it - managing to keep in the spotlight for a long time. For as long as I remember, Jade has been hounded and criticised for anything, probably even sneezing at the wrong angle, lol; let alone the racist incident etc (I am 100% with BL on that point).

WHY THE HELL shouldn't she exploit the media a little now she actually could make a difference?! She has sat back when they have turned her into a loathed individual, had papers slating her for being fat, ugly, thick, etc... taken it on the chin, despite the fact she has feelings like the rest of us... she is now dying, and if she has any hope of building a 'pot' for her family, why not??

Personally, I have had cervical cancer - and was lucky as I have always had regular smears, and it was caught early (I went from borderline cell changes to cancer in three months - very aggressive, am now considered high risk). People I know have never bothered going, but they are making appointments now (aged nearly 30!!) - and it really shocked me that they didn't think it was really something to worry about until they'd heard about Jade... so, another tick in the box for her making a difference. All it would take is for this to save one life, and it would be worth more than any one off donation.

I was 22 when it happened to me - if I'd not gone for my smears I would most likely have died in a similar time frame to Jade. They made me better, I've never been short of cash but I've never donated to cancer charities - does that make me a horrible selfish person?

Isn't it surely my own choice?

Another example, my step dad died of Motor Neurone Disease. My mum and I nursed him. MND is never anything 'but' terminal - there is no cure, no treatment - nothing. The charities probably really need money for research, but we didn't donate... they didn't do anything for us directly, and he's dead now - research isn't going to make it better etc. Yes, this is possibly selfish - but the point is, there is no obligation... and when you are going through something like this, WHY NOT BE SELFISH? Huseyin - if this happens to you (touch wood it never will) and you have children, I wonder if you'd think her actions are 'selfish' or just the natural thing to do when about to leave your young children behind.

Terminal illness is horrific... why should Jade feel obligated to donate to something that may not have significant meaning for her, just because she has some money? I have a large chunk of cash in the bank - am I selfish for putting it in a high interest account and keeping it for the future instead of giving it to charities that have directly or indirectly made a difference in my life? I think the fact she is doing this TV thing is going to touch and affect far more people than the equivalent money would make to research etc.

I am gutted for her, and for her family, and wish her all the best in her final days x

Better off for who?

lol - well, certainly not Jade. ;)

I think, and I am not referring to anyone particular - but I think people are often jealous, that they have to slog off to some either somewhat satisfying pays the bills job, or some dead-end job where they can't afford to rub two nickles together, every day of the week, like it or not, and Jade got lucky and made a mint off of a crap show like BB. (Sorry Anna!! :D - so relieved I am not going to have to watch that!! xx) So she gets scrutinised to the enth degree.

I think more power to her. Always thought that. I think she was very lucky to get what she got out of her celebrity - but she didn;t do it sitting on her arse - she made the effort. She has worked hard and dealt with a lot of controversay and scrutiny in the process.

SHe's done bloody well for herself, and is equally annoying or equally charming as any other celebrity out there, depending on your take.

Good on her for that.

Shame this is her reward. :(

Anna, precisely my point about why the comments were upsetting and inappropriate when I agreed with Porgeous - you never know who is reading and what that person has been through personally.

I'd never upset someone and be so judgemental at a time of great personal tragedy - she's not got much left so why not show her some kindness and compassion? She's done absolutely nothing wrong and it says more about society than it does about Jade. I just hope that she doesn't listen to or read similar vitriol which will be posted all over the internet no doubt.

I completely agree with your whole post and thank you for being brave enough to post it.

So when she gives money to people suffering form cancer and decides to actually donate to cancer trusts then she has respect. Until today what has she done for the sick or poorly people, how much has she donated.... Zero, zip, nada.

Do you really have personal details of how much money she has or what she does with it?????? What she does with her money is nobodies business but hers. (doubt if she has millions...it wasn't too long ago she was nearly broke, apparently)

I think what we are discussing here is what a dreadful time she's going through and giving our sympathies to her two little boys. She's someone in the public eye so we are able to voice that, we don't know everyone who is going through the same thing but we would feel the same about them if we did.

Better off for who?

The only analogy that springs to mind is the boy who cried wolf...she so wanted attention and fame and now she finally has it for all the most horrible reasons...and some of us aren't listening now...

I am not a callous person, but when it comes to the world of celebrity, I really don't have a lot of time...and I am the first to admit, I have no idea what even 1% of them are up to...so maybe my opinion of Jade doesn't really count as I am not a fan therefore...

Back