Wedding ring before engagement ring or other way round?....

Just putting in my half penny! I think there is a little bit of an area thing. Round where I live people wear wedding, engagement, eternity. I however buck that trend. I get quite a few comments about it from the local oldies!!!! Tutting and the like, but where I'm originally from you wear your engagement ring first ( as it was given first) then your wedding ring ( as it was given second) and then your eternity ring ( as it is given third with the birth if your first child). Old fashioned you may say but that's the way I do it.

Btw where I'm from we all wear our engagement rings on our wedding day too. Strange but true

Xxx

Just putting in my half penny! I think there is a little bit of an area thing. Round where I live people wear wedding, engagement, eternity. I however buck that trend. I get quite a few comments about it from the local oldies!!!! Tutting and the like, but where I'm originally from you wear your engagement ring first ( as it was given first) then your wedding ring ( as it was given second) and then your eternity ring ( as it is given third with the birth if your first child). Old fashioned you may say but that's the way I do it.

Btw where I'm from we all wear our engagement rings on our wedding day too. Strange but true

Xxx
Interesting as I wasn't allowed to wear my engagement ring on my wedding day, as much as I wanted to! I wasn't allowed to wear any rings at all in fact. And just as I thought, an eternity ring is given with the birth of your first child? I best get pregnant then haha!

Interesting as I wasn't allowed to wear my engagement ring on my wedding day, as much as I wanted to! I wasn't allowed to wear any rings at all in fact. And just as I thought, an eternity ring is given with the birth of your first child? I best get pregnant then haha!

My grandma insisted I wore it! Gave me no end of grief as I wasn't getting married in a church and said that I could at least do one thing right. My eternity ring is hers. I was the first grandchild to have a child so she promised it to me. She passed away 4 yrs ago and after a great battle I got it! She and I had a strange bond that I remember every time I touch my rings.

My OH doesn't get the eternity ring thing. He's a local boy to where we live and thinks you give it for a special anniversary. So I have another 11 years to wait for one from him!!!

I'm finding this really interesting to read as there's a lot I'd never thought of! I'm not a traditionalist at all and me and husband dispensed with as many traditions as we could when we got married, not for the sake of it but because we wanted to start our family our way. So it's interesting to read about the traditional ways of doing things. :)

Attachments

• image-3183616173.jpg
    image-3183616173.jpg
    575 KB · Views: 144
missy1978 said:
I'm finding this really interesting to read as there's a lot I'd never thought of! I'm not a traditionalist at all and me and husband dispensed with as many traditions as we could when we got married, not for the sake of it but because we wanted to start our family our way. So it's interesting to read about the traditional ways of doing things. :)

Wow love your rings!!! :)

Wow love your rings!!! :)

Thank you! x The engagement ring is silver with black crystal and the wedding ring is made of tungsten, it's not supposed to be a wedding ring, just a plain men's ring. My fingers were so big before I lost weight that ladies rings that fitted me were hard to find! ;) Neither of us like gold so we decided to go for something a bit unusual.

missy1978 said:
Thank you! x The engagement ring is silver with black crystal and the wedding ring is made of tungsten, it's not supposed to be a wedding ring, just a plain men's ring. My fingers were so big before I lost weight that ladies rings that fitted me were hard to find! ;) Neither of us like gold so we decided to go for something a bit unusual.

I'm not a fan of yellow gold on my skin if you know what I mean, so my engagement ring is white gold, no wedding ring yet lol. But I'd like one with a few diamonds in, although mum days it'll look like an eternity ring.

Was just about to take a photo of my ring then realised I'd taken it off earlier and I really can't be bothered going upstairs to get it lol. I'll do it later

I remember my friend giving me a mini-lecture about rings before she got married...she said that on the wedding day the engagement ring should be moved to the third finger of the right hand, then the wedding ring goes on the left hand first (closest to the heart), followed by the engagement ring (and then eternity ring on the birth of the first child, or boy in particular).

As I'm not married I'm not sure whether that's traditional or just what her parents had passed on to her :)

You lot are putting me to shame!

I wear my engagement ring on the other hand! It's very bulky and would not fit on my had with my wedding ring aswell. It's also now far too big for my wedding/engagement ring finger as I've lost weight, hubs says he will get me a new one when I get to target as my current one can't be altered.
My wedding ring is a mini version of my engagement ring but is also too big now!

If I wore them on then same finger I'd go engagement then wedding ring though.

My husband lost his a while ago - it was far too big & when he was throwing a load of stuff in the skip at work it flew off his hand into the skip. Spent 1/2 an hour in the pitch dark searching & offered the rest of the boys £50 if they could find it for him but no joy :(

Our getting to target presents to each other is new wedding rings that actually fit :)

I was told it was wedding ring first as it's closer to your heart and then engagement ring - I didn't necessarily mean to do it this way but it fits and looks better.

Incidentally, I wore my engagement ring on my right hand on my wedding day, moving it over to the left once the ceremony and photos were over.

I also got engaged I'm Prague, he arranged the whole trip as a surprise. On our last night there, after a romantic meal, we walked down to the river and he proposed just as the sun was setting behind the castle :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121231_104841.png
    ForumRunner_20121231_104841.png
    470.5 KB · Views: 70
Mine is wedding then engagement. Both mine and hubby's weding ring is similar design and mine was especially designed :). Also got inscription in it and as my OH is welsh then the wording is in welsh (bit of cheese there I know ;))

I was told it was wedding ring first as it's closer to your heart and then engagement ring - I didn't necessarily mean to do it this way but it fits and looks better.

Incidentally, I wore my engagement ring on my right hand on my wedding day, moving it over to the left once the ceremony and photos were over.

I also got engaged I'm Prague, he arranged the whole trip as a surprise. On our last night there, after a romantic meal, we walked down to the river and he proposed just as the sun was setting behind the castle :)

I bet you were smiling when you were typing that out :) lovely story. I wore my engagement ring on my right hand for the big day too. Love your tulip/lily of the valley bouquet too :)

Our wedding rings are just plain gold bands (engraved on inside). I know some people have some amazingly beautiful rings but I really wanted plain gold bands as for me (who's not really a jewellery person) the symbolism of the wedding ring was the most important thing and I felt plain gold bands let me focus on that.

My husband has severe depression and in fact the day he proposed he was extremely low, even suicidal. We were laying on our bed talking, hugging each other, listening to music. Suddenly he asked me to marry him. It was Halloween 2010.

We went out the next day and chose my ring together. It tuned out perfect - the last of its kind in the shop, my birthstone (sapphire) and my size. A week later William and Kate got engaged and her ring was almost identical to mine.

After the engagement he started to address his depression including seeing the doctor and starting antidepressants, so it was a real watershed in many ways.

We were married 11months later. And the song we were listening to when he proposed became the song I entered the registry office to. Beautiful piece of music. Explosions In The Sky- Your Hand In Mine - YouTube

Lovely story Jezzi and really lovely piece of music. I never heard it before. I hope your hubby is getting on well and both of you are enjoying married life. I remember reading somewhere that 1 in 4 people in the UK suffer with depression, that's higher than heart disease! I have firbromyalgia and I go through low spells with that but I do practice Transendental Meditation - check out this An Introduction to the Transcendental Meditation Program - YouTube to get the general gist. It can really help. :)

Some lovely pictures of engagement rings on this thread. Wish the OH would hurry up - waiting for for a shiny present for 10 and a half years now!

You could always do it yourself? I did that when I got engaged to my first partner. It was actually really exciting!

I think I mentioned it above but I asked my husband. I'm not a fan of traditional gender roles so I thought 'why not?'!

I was nervous for sure but it remains the best thing I ever did in my life <3

I wear mine wedding ring engagement ring then eternity ring
Got engaged on my 21st birthday married 2years later and got my eternity ring in may on our wedding anniversary in New York from tiffanys !!! :) to me it feels comfortable with the engagement ring in the middle as its a little bit too big and my newest ring on the top as its a bit smaller so stops them moving round x

I wear my wedding ring first, I was also told it was closer my heart, then my engagement ring. Not got to the eternity ring yet but we've agreed I'll get one once we have a baby :)

Back