Weight Gain In First week!!

Roody

Hi everyone, I wonder if someone can explain why I have gained weight in my first week on SW EE plan :(
I stick to my 2/3 - 1/3, and I averaged 10 syns a day. I've been really careful with everything as I didnt want to fail at this, I cant believe I have put on 6lbs!!! :eek:
I dont know if PCOS is a factor as i've read a few threads saying that others find it difficult to lose, but i'm not aware of anyone gaining??

Thanks,
Roody

Hiya. Well if its not your totm coming up, this is very odd! Why don't you post a few days worth of food diarys so our very experienced and lovely members can see if you are slipping up anywhere?
Just to put your mind at rest I have PCOS too and I have had great losses so far, so it is possible :)

Hi everyone, I wonder if someone can explain why I have gained weight in my first week on SW EE plan :(
I stick to my 2/3 - 1/3, and I averaged 10 syns a day. I've been really careful with everything as I didnt want to fail at this, I cant believe I have put on 6lbs!!! :eek:
I dont know if PCOS is a factor as i've read a few threads saying that others find it difficult to lose, but i'm not aware of anyone gaining??

Thanks,
Roody

Did you keep a food diary? Speak to your consultant. They might be able to point out something you've missed? We're you on a restrictive diet of some kind prior to starting sw? There must be something there :/

That is a big gain for your first week hun. Definitely post your food diary if you can.

What's your water intake like? And what was your diet like before you started SW?

I'm glad i dont have to worry about the PCOS :D

My diet was ok before i started but i used to skip meals regularly and eat late on a night because i finish work late, i used to get takeaways maybe once or twice a week because i was too tired when i got home.

This is a few days of my diet;

B/Fast - Branflakes and Blueberries with Semi Skim milk
Snack - Grapes
Lunch - 2 x Poached eggs and baked beans
Dinner - Quorn chicken, Couscous, carrots and peas
Snack - Corn on the cob x3 (about 9pm) - 9 syns
Water intake for the day was 2 litres

B/Fast - Branflakes and semi skim milk
Snack - Muller Light Yogurt
Lunch - Vegetable stir fry with fresh egg noodles - 6 syns
Snack - Grapes, Strawberries, Blueberries and Raspberries
Dinner - Jacket Potato and baked beans
Snack - Muller light yogurt
Water intake 1.5 litres

B/Fast - Branflakes and Blueberries with semi skim milk
Snack - Banana and Aplen light - 3 syns
Lunch - Leafy bistro salad with chicken breast and salad cream - 2 syns
Snack - Fresh berries
Dinner - Boiled eggs in wholemeal bread
Snack - Muller light yogurt
Had a small hot chocolate from vending machine - 5 syns
Water intake 1.5 litres

I hope this helps give you an incite into my daily food diary, please let me know where i'm going wrong :)

I also do T25 daily so i'm getting enough exercise and my job is very physically demanding so i dont know what the problem is :confused:

Thanks
Roody

Main thing I'd say is are you eating enough? Especially if you say your job is physically demanding too? One thing that did jump out was 9 syns for corn on the cob? Corn on the cob is a free food :confused:
Have you spoken to your consultant? Also maybe you need to drink more as bran flakes and banana can sometimes slow your digestive transit if you're not drinking enough

Sorry, it had melted butter on it, i read it would be 3 syns each if it had butter??
I havent seen my consultant because i have been working unsocial hours on my shifts, so if i try to up my water intake to 2/2.5 litres will that help?
What kind of meals should i be thinking of doing? do i need to add more carbs due to the amount of physical activity?

Sorry for all the questions i'm very new to this and dont have anyone for support :sigh:

Sorry, it had melted butter on it, i read it would be 3 syns each if it had butter??
I havent seen my consultant because i have been working unsocial hours on my shifts, so if i try to up my water intake to 2/2.5 litres will that help?
What kind of meals should i be thinking of doing? do i need to add more carbs due to the amount of physical activity?

Sorry for all the questions i'm very new to this and dont have anyone for support :sigh:

Ah right - that makes sense. Altho for future ref if you do it yourself and use the fry light butter spray you'd save 9 syns. Did you not leave your food diary at group? Your consultant is available to you 7 days a week - not just at group :)
More protein is actually better if you're doing a lot of physical exercise, but just more free food on general would be worth trying.
First port of call should be your consultant really. Just make sure you are weighing and measuring your syns and healthy extras, and writing everything down. Good luck

Hi
I see that you had branflakes and wholemeal bread- if you are doing Extra Easy one of those should be a hex b and the other synned. Also you don't seem to always be having 1/3 super free foods (although the that is the old terminology I think)- baked beans and jacket / poached egg and beans for example.

And as per previous poster- are you eating enough?

Don't despair though- sometimes it takes a while to settle into it......it does work though!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com

I echo what's been said above... Are you eating enough. There aren't a lot of free carbs there and you aren't using many syns. There's a lot of people both here and at group who say they don't lose if they don't eat enough, and I know that's true for me. Also as Julesy said make sure you're having your 1/3 superfree at every meal.

Lastly... Are you "going" regularly? If you aren't that can cause weight gain. It took my body a little while to get used to it at the beginning and I had to take senna to help things along!

I wonder if your scales at home aren't accurate, or maybe they need a new battery? Plus, your home scales can be way different from the Group ones and I'm assuming this gain was registered on your home scales as you said you hadn't seen your consultant. Just a thought...

It could also be that because you skipped meals before sw your body went into starvation mode and is now clinging to everything you eat incase you starve it again. I'm sure once your metabolism catches up and your body realises it doesn't need to hang on to the extra you'll start to loose.

Defo need more speed food with each meal (I fall down on this too as I have a texture issue with veg, but getting there slowly) and do monitor your healthy extras.

Hi, I can understand how frustrating that must be for you.
Using different scales and/or at a different time of day can make a big difference, as can the clothes your wearing.

I would defo suggest upping your fluid intake. ...A 10 stone adult needs 2 litres a day and more if exercising.

So if you go on the basis of 200 ml for every stone you weigh then add on an extra 10-15% on exercise days that will get you closer to the right amount.

I always find my water intake boosts my losses x

I'm glad i dont have to worry about the PCOS :D My diet was ok before i started but i used to skip meals regularly and eat late on a night because i finish work late, i used to get takeaways maybe once or twice a week because i was too tired when i got home. This is a few days of my diet; B/Fast - Branflakes and Blueberries with Semi Skim milk Snack - Grapes Lunch - 2 x Poached eggs and baked beans Dinner - Quorn chicken, Couscous, carrots and peas Snack - Corn on the cob x3 (about 9pm) - 9 syns Water intake for the day was 2 litres B/Fast - Branflakes and semi skim milk Snack - Muller Light Yogurt Lunch - Vegetable stir fry with fresh egg noodles - 6 syns Snack - Grapes, Strawberries, Blueberries and Raspberries Dinner - Jacket Potato and baked beans Snack - Muller light yogurt Water intake 1.5 litres B/Fast - Branflakes and Blueberries with semi skim milk Snack - Banana and Aplen light - 3 syns Lunch - Leafy bistro salad with chicken breast and salad cream - 2 syns Snack - Fresh berries Dinner - Boiled eggs in wholemeal bread Snack - Muller light yogurt Had a small hot chocolate from vending machine - 5 syns Water intake 1.5 litres I hope this helps give you an incite into my daily food diary, please let me know where i'm going wrong :) I also do T25 daily so i'm getting enough exercise and my job is very physically demanding so i dont know what the problem is :confused: Thanks Roody

Hi roody
I'm probably only repeating what the others have said but i noticed you didn't put any measurements down as to how much bran flakes and how much milk...healthy extras add up especially milk as i would assume you have it in drinks during the day as well?

Also there is nowhere near enough speed foods especially with your main meals, i.e. lunch and dinner unless you forgot to write them down.

What is very hard to get to grips with (it was for me anyway and i would assume for most of the other sw members) is that this is not a diet but a lifestyle change and number one rule is
"NEVER be hungry"
so we are encouraged to eat normally not like on other diets restrict the amount of food we eat. I used to do ww years ago and all i can remember is being hungry constantly even straight after a meal!!!
I'm sure all this will settle down soon and you will see the results you want!
Will stay subscribed and see how you are getting on!

Grapes, blueberries, banana, peas and sweet corn are free but not speed.

I agree - more speed food needed to truly be on plan.

However I wouldn't expect a 6lb gain from that diary unless it was totm and/or you have just come off a very restrictive diet.

Good luck for next week xxx

Roody, you are doing great to have begun your weightloss journey and, you say you don't have any support, well maybe not at home but you have masses of support here from everyone on minimins. We'll help you out!

Hi Roody. The very same thing happened to me the last time I did SW!! This is my third time doing SW (lost 3 stone both times before and stupidly put it all back on) so, last time (2nd) I knew exactly what I was doing. I took my food diary in with me and after the horrifying shock of putting 1lb on, I showed the consultant my diary. She looked through it thoroughly and simply could not say why! She said what I had eaten was perfect!

The good thing is, the following week I lost 4lbs so, don't give up. Sometimes these things just can't be explained! :S

Kathy

I think swansong's thought about the scales is a very good one, if you did your initial weigh in at group and then weighed at home; different scales do give different readings. You may find it's not as bad as you think when you get back to group :)

I think swansong's thought about the scales is a very good one, if you did your initial weigh in at group and then weighed at home; different scales do give different readings. You may find it's not as bad as you think when you get back to group :)

Oooh I missed this point. I made the automatic assumption that it was the group scales. Hope this is the case and you get a pleasant surprise x

Back