What Are the Best Machines For Weight Loss In The Gym!?

AmyyLouise__

Hello!
I've begun the gym today and I'm also on WW.
I'm trying to lose a few pounds and I'm just wondering what are the best tummy machine things!?

I used the cross trainer, the bike (sitting one and normal one) the steps, did sit ups, side crunches and leg excersizes, but I've noticed that the machines only seem to excersize my legs? or maybe I just feel it more in my legs?

Help? anyone!?

theres some ab crunch machines or there should be some! i dont like using the machines so much, i use the gym balls and do the crunches on that

do you add weight training to your routine?

i have a print out for body pump...
it says on there about a study into 3 groups, group A were just dieters, group B did diet plus cardio, group C did diet, cardio and weight training.

results after 12 weeks were

group A: 14.6lbs of fat
group B: 15.6lbs of fat
group C: 21.1lbs of fat

theres alot of advantages to weight training too, it burns carolies during, and continues to burn after wards, your metabolatism is sky high for about 3 days after it aswell. the more muscle, the more calories get burned. it improves your cardio vascular work as well as giving you that toned look.

you wont get hulk style muscles from weights unless you train very very hard and take suppliments for it, handweights are a good option as you can work all your body with them :)

a good amount is 2 - 3 times per week for this, less is still good but the results wont be as quick :)

x

I probably suggest steady exercise machines like cross trainers or excercise bikes.

Doing just ab crunches and on the gym ball isn't really going to do much in terms of weight loss though really, so I wouldn't suggest those as being best for weight loss. For weight loss you need cardio machines, so the rower, cross trainer, stationary bike, treadmill are all probably equally as good so it's finding what you prefer. Personally I don't much like the treadmill but love using the bike. It would be good to combine it with strength training too rather than pure cardio, like gina said, it'll help boost losses but isn't enough in itself to cause significant losses.

Gina I'd like to know where you got the info about strength training boosting your metabolism for 3 days from? I've not heard that before, would like to read about that.

Any of the cardio machines will help you lose fat if combined with a diet like you are. Doing the cardio will help show your ab muscles underneath, without specifically being an ab exercise. Weights will help you burn more calories at rest (muscles burns more cals metabolocally than fat) so that it's easier to lose fat and maintain in the future too!

Doing just ab crunches and on the gym ball isn't really going to do much in terms of weight loss though really, so I wouldn't suggest those as being best for weight loss. For weight loss you need cardio machines, so the rower, cross trainer, stationary bike, treadmill are all probably equally as good so it's finding what you prefer. Personally I don't much like the treadmill but love using the bike. It would be good to combine it with strength training too rather than pure cardio, like gina said, it'll help boost losses but isn't enough in itself to cause significant losses.

Gina I'd like to know where you got the info about strength training boosting your metabolism for 3 days from? I've not heard that before, would like to read about that.

body pump instructor gave us all print outs from a magazine she has, its not avalable to the public just les mills instructors (the magazine)

cardio just burned fat for me, but it didnt give me the toned look. weights have made my body drop from22% to 18.3% in just 5 monthes, so its gotta have its advantages. thinking about it, these body builders eat alot of calories a day, a regualr person eating what they eat would mean a huge weight gain yet these guys dont gain any fat at all, surely they have a superfast metabolatism :D

the cross trainer is my fave cardio equipment ^_^

Last edited:
Thats really interesting. Im thinking I should make the effort to go back to the gym. Its quite expensive even though I got given a prescription by my doctor meaning I get it for around £3.50 a visit which soon adds up especially if go twice a week.

I used to like the cross trainer, tredmill and rowing machine. Also did a bit on the ball aswell. Would like to do a few weights if I went back as seems the only way to burn cals even while resting and i like that idea.

Hi. If you want to burn fat, a hill climb on a computerised treadmill is your best bet. A fast pace walk on a moderate level (you can move up the levels as you get to comfort with them). I find this way it is easy to burn 400-500 calories in a 30 minute workout.

If you try it I hope it works out for you :)

Thank you, sounds good. I really should get my butt back to the gym it was good for the mind aswell as the rest of me. I just lost motivation with it plus its an expense at the moment even with the prescription prices.

Yeah, it's important that you stay in your comfort zone when doing gym workouts. There's nothing worse than waking up the next morning aching and being disheartened from going again. Just start with doing what you comfortable with at first and work you your way up. For example:

- Week 1 - 10 mins on treadmill
- Week 2 - 15 mins on treadmill
- Week 3 - 20 mins on treadmill

and so on...

Let me know how you're getting on :)

Let's take a look at which machines burn the most calories.

An okay choice: Elliptical Machines.

The biggest reason to choose elliptical machines - you've got a bum knee. I have seen people with extreme osteoarthritis and they were able to use these for a decent workout without pain.

But other than that, I am hardly impressed by the elliptical machine for fat loss. If you go into any gym, compare the bodies on the ellipticals to the ones on other machines...most of the time, the people on the ellipticals make no progress from month to month. Sorry, I just don't like these.

But if you have bad knees, feel free to keep rocking the elliptical!

Up next...The Stationary Bike

The bike can be easy on your knees as well, particularly if you are overweight and can't support your bodyweight at this time.

But personally, I like the stationary bikes a lot. The set up allows you to do a large amount of mechanical work during your interval training - and that is what puts Turbulence on the muscle and allows you to increase your post-exercise metabolism.

I also think that the bike allows you to work very hard with less risk of injury. Sprinting requires an extensive warm-up due to the explosive nature of the activity.

I recommend starting with the bike unless you are an experienced runner that knows your body well.

In addition, here are three more key points about the bike.

a) Stick to the upright version if possible. When using a recumbent bike for intervals, your hips tend to rock too much and your body tries to get into awkward positions in order to push hard against the resistance. That's my experience. The upright bikes are set up better for intervals.

b) For intervals, increase the resistance against your pedalling, and not the speed of your pedalling. I don't like high RPM spinning. I think you'll get more results and do more work when you keep the RPM between 80-100 and work against a harder resistance. Forget that high-RPM spinning stuff...I think it is rough on your hips and knees.

c) When on the upright bike, sit as upright as possible for the recovery intervals or even stand for some of the work intervals. Just avoid a rounded over posture as that can be hard on your low back.

And the winner is...The Treadmill.

The treadmill can burn almost 20 calories per minute of exercise during your workout. That's a big burn, but of course only advanced fitness levels can achieve that - but hopefully you fit that category now or you will someday with consistent training and nutrition.

Some tips: Don't go crazy on using an incline (as that can lead to tight calves), but if you are able to run at more than 10mph, use a 1% incline to help offset the need for more speed. The last thing you want to do is end up in a crazy video on YouTube with you flying off the end of a treadmill into an elliptical machine.

So as with all types of sprinting, be careful.

Honorable mentions go to...The Rowing Machine and Stairmaster...these can be used in place of other machines for variety and are still effective. Better yet, if you are able, use your body as the best fat burning machine. I highly recommend bodyweight circuits for interval training. These are fun, effective, and perhaps even better at sculpting your body.

Yeah, it's important that you stay in your comfort zone when doing gym workouts. There's nothing worse than waking up the next morning aching and being disheartened from going again. Just start with doing what you comfortable with at first and work you your way up. For example:

- Week 1 - 10 mins on treadmill
- Week 2 - 15 mins on treadmill
- Week 3 - 20 mins on treadmill

and so on...

Let me know how you're getting on :)

I intend heading back to the gym even if its for just once a week as its better than nothing. One of the people who work at the gym put me off by saying I needed to go 3 or 4 times a week to get any benefit from it.

That wasnt possible so I thought whats the point and didnt go back after that.

I enjoyed it while i was there and I think its good for the mind too.

Back