What exercise?

flashharry

Silver Member
The first time I did SW was in 2011 when I lost 5 stone but managed to avoid incorporating any exercise at all whatsoever. I'm convinced though that if I had, even if it hadn't aided my weight loss, I would have seen a big difference to my shape.

So this week I'm going to try and start incorporating some exercise. I had planned to do this from the start (I rejoined SW on 05.01.15) but a persistent cough has prevented, as I had a coughing fit every time I got out of breath! But it finally seems to have said goodbye.

This lunchtime I kicked off with a 15 minute walk in the sunshine on my lunchbreak, woohoo go me lol, and I must admit I do feel refreshed.

I have a damaged knee so my exercise of choice is swimming, or rebounding (mini trampolining) both of which give me a workout while minimizing the impact on my knee. Swimming is hard to fit in around a full time job and single-mother childcare demands, so I'll be getting my rebounder out tonight from under the spare bed where its been gathering dust!

Just wondering what exercise you all do as it might give me (and you!) some inspiration :)

I joined in 2012 and just wanted to lose the weight so my exercise was just extra walks in the evenings etc, nothing major, once i hit target i joined the gym with the aim of toning up and started doing some classes like LBT, Pump, Step etc and loved it. I hit target in March 2013 and since then have been going to the gym 4-5 times a week and have this month started boxfit classes which i am loving, gym has now become a way of life for me and i still eat the SW way and go to class each week as am on the social team.
I think starting off with a little and building in what you can around your life is the best way and if you can add more then great, if not then anything more than what you used to do is always going to help increase weight loss as you burn more calories.
Can you do stability ball exercises with your knee? Stretches and balances on these help strengthen the core and burn calories and can be combined with small arm weights for further fat burning and toning and you can do it at home in front of the Tv!

What about Pilates or yoga? There might me certain exercises you can't do but most of it should be ok?

Thank you both :)

The problem with walks in the evening and going to the gym is I'm a single mum so I can't go anywhere in the evenings and I have to go straight home after work every day to pick up my son. So I look for ways to exercise at home. I get a half hour lunch break which I try and fit a little walk into if it's not raining!

I don't know about stability ball exercises, I will have to do some googling! I do use wrist and hand weights though when I'm on my rebounder :)

I have tried Pilates, I bought some 10 minute work out Pilates DVD's, it nearly killed me haha, I decided I might need to try it again when I've lost some more weight. I haven't tried yoga though.

I did get my rebounder out from under the spare bed last night lol and did a half hour work out on it, so I feel quite proud of myself! Although it's been a while and my knee is now complaining :( I will stick at it though, maybe just a bit too enthusiastic too soon lol as it has been fine with the rebounding before.

I also have damaged knees, from a bad car accident. My physio has suggested getting an exercise bike as it strengthens the joint without any impact. You can buy foldable ones from places like amazon and tesco from as little as £30 x

ashleigh2192 my knee was damaged in a car accident as well. I've tried road cycling and find it really doesn't like it at all unfortunately, it's the pushing down on the pedals bit I think. Maybe an exercise bike would be different, less resistance?

Oh I'm not brave enough for road cycling lol. An exercise bike should be a lot easier as you can start with a really low resistance. I can't wait for mine to arrive, I actually really miss going to the gym :O lol x

I've used my rebounder for a half hour workout for the last 2 nights after quite a long time not doing any, my muscles are really feeling it today!

I was actually really sad about the cycling because I'd bought a fabulous pink bike haha

I've never been a gym bunny, not enough time and not enough money lol

How about walking workouts at home, I am a huge fan of the Leslie Sansone walking workouts, there are loads free on youtube and on her site, the shortest ones are 1 mile in 15-20 minutes depending on the workout and they go up to 5 miles which is about 1 hour and 15 minutes hugs Crystal xx

Thanks Crystal, I'll go and have a look at them today :)

There are lots of toning exercises you could do. ... concentrate on upper body and abs if your knee prevents squats and lunges. boxing would give you a good cardio workout without putting pressure on your knee. ... You can do all of these at home too. ... If you don't have any weights bottles filled with sand or water would do to start with and for boxing you literally just punch the air! !!!

Have a look on you tube for videos. ... You could look at 30 day shred and sit out the cardio or modify where possible. ...same with the squats, sit out, there are weights in with the squats so you could just do the weights. ....

Thanks Becky :)

I will take a look on youtube. I do have some 1kg hand weights that I already use on my rebounder, I really want to tone up my upper arms, to try and minimize excess skin bingo wings as I slim down lol

Thanks Becky :)

I will take a look on youtube. I do have some 1kg hand weights that I already use on my rebounder, I really want to tone up my upper arms, to try and minimize excess skin bingo wings as I slim down lol

no problem, I'm always looking for different things as I get bored easily so I'll let you know if I come across any others :)

I do exercise 5 times a week, I go gym mon and tues and do cardio for 1.30 hours I then do spin class on a wed and then swimming on thurs, friday is my relax day and weekends I spend running around after my 4 year old. I also clean for an hour a day x

Back