What have you tried New to eat this week?

Soba noodles are my absolute favourite noodle :D

Not tried anything new for a while. Makes me sad that so many people don't like Quorn :p

I like quorn mince and meatballs, just the sausages are yuck!

xx

Soba noodles are my absolute favourite noodle :D

Not tried anything new for a while. Makes me sad that so many people don't like Quorn :p

Oh please don't be sad! Those of us who don't like it are really happy about not liking it and being really rude about it at any given opportunity!! :D

i'm not keen on the quorn sausages. love the burgers. but the quorn bangers are to die for!! and i just found out they are free so think i'll be investing in those :D :D

abz xx

I've just brought chicory on a yellow sticker at Tesco, so that's my new thing this week - no idea what to do with it!

Different things are called chicory (just to confuse us!) but I am assuming you mean this:

You just trim off the bottom end a little, then slice it across and put it in a salad, or you can separate out the individual leaves and use them to scoop up a dip. There is a little core at the bottom which you can cut out, as it can be a little bitter.

The taste is not very strong, slightly bitter, and goes well with a salad with something fruity in it. In the 70s it was the done thing to serve it cut across in slices with slices of orange! (Gosh, we were a sophisticated lot in those days!)

Thanks avisk. I had one in a salad with balsamic vinegar, just have another 4 to eat so will try your options, especially the orange!!!

My pleasure. I am a great believer in trying new things - we can all get stuck in a rut if we are not careful.

We were brought up to try anything once!

My dad used to take me to Soho when I was a child, and we would bring back fresh ravioli (it came in sheets, like stamps) and all sorts of cheeses. This was in the late 50s - we hadn't seen anything like it in our town!

And then we discovered that there was a little black van that came round on a Friday night selling Polish food (there were a lot of Polish people in our town in the 50s) so we would get Polish sausage and cheese and bread for supper on Friday nights.

The rest of the time our food was as boring as everyone else's was in the 50s - but I do remember those highlights.

Just made houmous - it's :yuk:

Made from a recipe on here with lemon juice and mustard powder, but tasted of nothing so have added lots of chilli powder, paprika & worcester sauce in the hope that there would be something - but no - one for the bin!

Oh no, shame about the humous. I love it.
I whizz up a tin of chick peas, garlic cloves, ground cumin and coriander and lemon zest. Add some seasoning and a bit of fresh coriander if you have it and it's gorgeous!

Was this really okay? I wouldn't make a risotto in a microwave - a risotto is made by stirring, stirring, stirring the rice to release all the lovely starch and making it creamy and yummy! I'm a real risotto fan and I'd make it like this....

roast bns in the oven with lots of lovely spices, chilli and garlic and add 2/3rd of it to risotto base (onion, celery, garlic and rice). Keep adding stock, stirring after each ladelful until it is absorbed. Towards the end, add the rest of the sqush and keep on stirring.
Add parmesan and serve.
Yummy :p

Anyway, that's just my little opinion - there's a recipe in the new cookbook for "leave alone risotto" - I'm not sure this is possible, a risotto should be loved, not left :D

I made the barley lamb casserole this week with pear barley. An acquired taste is all I can say. I enjoyed it, but OH and DD really did not.
I like pearl barley in a stew but there was way too much in this (I did follow the recipe correctly!) it was all barley and not much else.

The jury is kind of out on this one.

I don't think that any version of houmous that doesn't have tahini in it is worth the effort. The SW versions are well-meaning, but I would rather not bother and have the real thing and syn it.

Jaylou, I agree with you about the risotto. Stir, and keep stirring!

I have just come across a recipe for braising chicory, which we mentioned earlier in this thread. Never thought of doing that before.

The recipe I found uses a lot of butter, but we SW folk know how to get round that problem!!

It suggests melting 55g (!) butter in a wide pan over a medium heat. Cut 4 chicory heads in half lengthways and lay them cut side down, season, add a few leaves of thyme, and the juice of a lemon. Turn the heat down and cook, turning the chicory from time to time, until soft (about 20 minutes).

this week I have made heavenly moorish chicken, individual beef gratins, chicken and garlic lasagne, meatloaf and all recepies I have not done before but will deffo be doing again!!! I have also had the laughing cow onion squares on melba toast and they were lush. Got the new cookbook so have written what I am off to try next week from it and off shopping tonight for the ingredients but definately doing the shish kebabs, the quick tomato and red pepper soup, spicy bean and sausage casserole and the tomato and balsamic pasta

Back