What have you tried New to eat this week?

I don't think that any version of houmous that doesn't have tahini in it is worth the effort. The SW versions are well-meaning, but I would rather not bother and have the real thing and syn it.

Jaylou, I agree with you about the risotto. Stir, and keep stirring!

I agree - even adding a tablespoon of tahini to the hummus you make and synning it is worthwhile.

Was this really okay? I wouldn't make a risotto in a microwave - a risotto is made by stirring, stirring, stirring the rice to release all the lovely starch and making it creamy and yummy! I'm a real risotto fan and I'd make it like this....

roast bns in the oven with lots of lovely spices, chilli and garlic and add 2/3rd of it to risotto base (onion, celery, garlic and rice). Keep adding stock, stirring after each ladelful until it is absorbed. Towards the end, add the rest of the sqush and keep on stirring.
Add parmesan and serve.
Yummy :p

Anyway, that's just my little opinion - there's a recipe in the new cookbook for "leave alone risotto" - I'm not sure this is possible, a risotto should be loved, not left :D

I haven't made a "proper" risotto but it was creamy and really good for a quick meal.
Your receipe sounds delicious and I absolutely can see it would have much much more flavour....will give it a go for sure.xx

I promised that I would report back on the Crown Prince Squash which I bought last week. It was OK. A bit like butternut squash, but with a dryer texture.

It was quite difficult to cut up, even with my really good large knife. We had to get my brother-in-law to take over! We cut it into wedges and roasted it in the oven.

To be honest, I would rather have butternut squash. Cheaper, easier to prepare, and tastier. And smaller - I still have loads of this one to eat!!

Still, I am glad I tried it - you never know unless you try.

this week I have made heavenly moorish chicken, individual beef gratins, chicken and garlic lasagne, meatloaf and all recepies I have not done before but will deffo be doing again!!! I have also had the laughing cow onion squares on melba toast and they were lush. Got the new cookbook so have written what I am off to try next week from it and off shopping tonight for the ingredients but definately doing the shish kebabs, the quick tomato and red pepper soup, spicy bean and sausage casserole and the tomato and balsamic pasta

I'm thinking of trying the Moorish Chickpeas this week? Were they really nice? What did you have them with? :)

I made my own duck & hoisin pancakes yesterday! Of course I've had them many times in Chinese restaurants and even bought the kits from Tescos etc (v. expensive way of doing it!) but I've never done them myself! I bought 2 duck legs (£3.50), a big pack of 102 pancakes from a Chinese supermarket (£3), a cucumber, some spring onions, and a bottle of hoisin sauce. Don't worry, I didn't actually make 102 of them- they're from the freezer section so they're always there for future use! I just omitted the duck skin from mine and they were just as tasty!! The pancakes are 1 syn each and can be used for other fillings as an alternative to sandwiches/tortilla wraps and much lighter and more SW friendly!!X

We had the meatloaf from the new cookery book this weekend, and found it rather disappointing.

That's a shame avisk. We had this and couldn't get enough of it! Three of us ate the whole thing, I was hoping there would be left overs for lunch - no chance!!

I am not sure what went wrong with the meatloaf. The taste wasn't too bad, just not very exciting, but the texture was all wrong. It was too dry, and it fell apart when sliced. We always follow the recipes carefully the first time (we might tinker with them second time around).

Anyway, not to worry - there are loads more lovely recipes to try!!

I tried Tesco Meat free Linconshire sausages (syn free) - they were actually nice, i dont like meat free things (especially quorn - Yuk) But these were palatable and i would buy again for a weekend Free grill / fry up.

Also Hellmanns extra light mayo - havent tried this for years as didnt like it way back when, but am now suitable satisfied that it livens up a bit of tin tuna to put with my salad.

Lasagne - out of Extra Easy cook book - hmm this didnt go so well, i didnt put all the yogurt in as stated as it wouldnt fit! But when cooked it was so sloppy and tasted pretty yuk. Still ate it though - well it was free!

x

Extra light mayo, making my own stir fry from scratch (using pretty much every spice in the cupboard!)... ummm, I'm sure there are others... Ryvita sweet chilli minis... meringue nests... must be it?

carbonara sauce out of the old slimming world free foods cookbook i have and it was divine. and free!! :D

I tried snack a Jack Berry flavour and they were so yummy! only 5 syns. Also tried malteser icecream bars 5 1/2 syns and they were lush. I have been trying to find some treats to use my syns on because I havent been eating my syns much, because I forget to use them, then feel deprived lol

those berry snack a jacks... i've never tried them. they always seemed like such a weird idea... they are nice?

I thought the same thing tbh then I saw them in home bargains for 99p for 6 pks and thought why not give them a try, cos they are lower in syns than the caramel ones, which I love! I can honestly say they are lush, they remind me a little of those rainbow drops snacks you can get.

I made the superfree vegetable quiche tonight, had it with a nice salad..was lovely.
Very low fat cottage cheese
Eggs
Peppers
Smoked lean bacon
Onion
Sweetcorn
HEA Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese
hmmm Lovely!!

Today I made chicken breast stuffed with Laughing Cow deli lite blue cheese wrapped in bacon! I've had all 3 elements of this individually, but never together and I was very very impressed- it's going to be one of my staples from now on!X

Celeriac! I have had it before as a vegetable and quite liked it but this time I used it in a soup (chicken soup in the recipe section) and pureed it to thicken the soup and it was so delicious!

In case you haven't come across it before, it is a root vegetable about the size of a large swede, but white and knobbly (not a pretty vegetable at all!). You just peel it (with a knife - a peeler won't really work) and cut it into chunks. It can be shredded and eaten raw in a salad but I don't much like it that way. It can also be boiled and mashed - this is quite nice mashed with equal quantities of potato.

And yes - it does smell and taste rather like celery. And it is Superfree, a Speed food and a Fibre food.

Oooh had a real treat today!! I had my first Skinny Cow mint double choc icecream lolly (4.5syns so not too costly!!) It was sooo delicious!! Quite lightweight, but really creamy and yummy I felt like I was having something luxurious! I would recommend to all who enjoy mint choc chip!XXX

Back