What keeps you motivated?

Serena A

Can't think of a title
Just wondered how people stay motivated to maintain their new slim selves once the constraints of a diet have gone?

Do you have to remind yourself every day of your journey to get there, or do you just relax and get on with it? Do you think that learning to truly relax around food is even possible?

Just curious to see different people's approaches. :)

I think...feeling & looking younger! I feel like i'm 25 again, no more achey hips!! sounds terribly vain but I do like to look at myself in the mirror these first thing in morning and it makes me smile!!

xx

I think making a print out of all the money I spent on CD and making it into a big poster will motivate me a bit... I've spent a lot of mney on this diet, and weird (stupid? silly?) enough this is what I keep telling myself all the time rather then; oh you're skinny now.. which just doesn't make sense as I dn't really see it :$

xx

I think I'm at the stage now when I'm not motivated to stay slim.

99% of the time it just doesn't occur to me to eat more than I need.

it's strange as I didn't really notice the turn around. Reckon it just happened gradually.

Wasn't until I saw this thread and wondered what on earth motivated me, then realised that I don't really think about it any more. This is just me. Who I am...what I eat, and how I live my life :cool:

I think making a print out of all the money I spent on CD and making it into a big poster will motivate me a bit... I've spent a lot of mney on this diet, and weird (stupid? silly?) enough this is what I keep telling myself all the time rather then; oh you're skinny now.. which just doesn't make sense as I dn't really see it :$

xx

Love the poster idea...

I think I'm at the stage now when I'm not motivated to stay slim.

99% of the time it just doesn't occur to me to eat more than I need.

it's strange as I didn't really notice the turn around. Reckon it just happened gradually.

Wasn't until I saw this thread and wondered what on earth motivated me, then realised that I don't really think about it any more. This is just me. Who I am...what I eat, and how I live my life :cool:

Interesting - that living as a "naturally" slim person is a behaviour that is possible to "learn"...

Do you think that being a CD Counsellor helps to keep you on the ball (perhaps subconsciously?) or do you think you'd be just as successful without it?

Last edited:
Do you think that being a CD counsellor helps to keep you on the ball (perhaps subconsciously?)

No, not at all. I didn't become a CDC until I had maintained for 3 years.

to be honest, besides a number of other reasons, I was a little scared of being a CDC because I would have easy access to the packs, and I would feel pressurized to keep at goal because of outside influences.

It was important to me that I didn't feel the pressure, and that if I did, I was totally accountable to myself and nobody else.

No, not at all. I didn't become a CDC until I had maintained for 3 years.

to be honest, besides a number of other reasons, I was a little scared of being a CDC because I would have easy access to the packs, and I would feel pressurized to keep at goal because of outside influences.

It was important to me that I didn't feel the pressure, and that if I did, I was totally accountable to myself and nobody else.

I hope my question didn't come out funny by the way :) I was just wondering as it had previously crossed my mind to enquire about it for myself re becoming a counsellor, partly because I think I'd enjoy it but partly from the maintenance aspect. Then I thought better of it as I don't want to use CD as a sticking plaster for my own issues, I would rather tackle them properly. And yes, you're right, having easy access to the CD packs would make things tougher if anything.

There is hope yet...!

I hope my question didn't come out funny by the way :)

No, not at all. I like straight speaking :)

I was just wondering as it had previously crossed my mind to enquire about it for myself re becoming a counsellor, partly because I think I'd enjoy it but partly from the maintenance aspect. Then I thought better of it as I don't want to use CD as a sticking plaster for my own issues, I would rather tackle them properly. And yes, you're right, having easy access to the CD packs would make things tougher if anything.

Yes, it makes it easier and harder. Easier to maintain (short term anyway), but for me it would blur that job. I needed things crystal clear and didn't feel I could give it a chance without tackling it head on without any diet products.

There is hope yet...!

There certainly is. Have been thinking about this more. I put 99%...I could almost make that 99.99% :D

It's weird because I do have times when I would have turned to food.

For instance today I have had a hungry day. I think it's because it's been very snowy here today and psychologically I want comfort, but I have been physically hungry today too.

I'm not scared of hunger like I was. I can 'treat it' or leave it for some time if I chose.

Today I felt hungry straight after lunch. This difference was that I didn't have to motivate myself not to eat and go through the set of reasons. I just thought "that's weird, I'm hungry" :D

Same goes for my paddy just before Christmas. It was probably the first day of the whole of 2008 where I was really missing a good binge.

People may have thought that I was working through the craving. Trying to stop myself eating all and sundry. But it wasn't like that. I missed the binge, but it was like missing an old lost friend. It didn't occur to me to bring it back. Just missed it for an evening. Does that make sense?

I should add....in the early days it really helps to have something to motivate you to stay slim, so I do approve of the thread :D

People may have thought that I was working through the craving. Trying to stop myself eating all and sundry. But it wasn't like that. I missed the binge, but it was like missing an old lost friend. It didn't occur to me to bring it back. Just missed it for an evening. Does that make sense?

It does, yes, but I can't imagine it! Having said that I've had moments like that though, like when I was 8 weeks into SS'ing and found out my Dad was poorly. In the 6 weeks between hearing he was poorly and then attending his funeral, I can't say I found sticking to CD easy but neither did it occur to me that giving up was an option.

Just worried how I will cope without a specific "goal" other than simply "want to stay slim and healthy", although you'd think that'd be motivation enough in itself really. :sigh:

Just worried how I will cope without a specific "goal" other than simply "want to stay slim and healthy", :sigh:

Serena A >>> having seen your fab weight loss over in the left hand column, i would say that staying "slim and healthy" is goal enough for me.
Having a specific goal all of the time isn't compulsory.
New goals will present themselves and do not have to be weight related.
When i was at my largest, i would try on new clothes and could only see a blob. Never looked nice.
Now in a size 10 bottom and 12 top, i feel so good. I walk taller. I look forward to new clothes. So vain, but has been a long time coming.
Yes, my current goal is to stay "slim and healthy", but with time as KD said, i hope that "s & h" is something that just becomes natural without a second thought.

Just worried how I will cope without a specific "goal" other than simply "want to stay slim and healthy", although you'd think that'd be motivation enough in itself really. :sigh:

Well, you would. But it often isn't. After all, if you pigged out tonight, would you stop being slim and healthy? Nah. Even if you pigged out every day this week, you'd still be okay...but that's not what you want.

You know how people say "one of those isn't going to make you put on X stone". Very true, but I remember thinking that I wish it would. I wish there was more punishment to motivate me to keep focused.

That's why I think it's important to make life style changes. I don't control my weight. I made changes that I enjoyed and my weight controls itself.

I don't eat to control my weight. In fact, I do very little to control my weight.

The weight is a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself.

Now...if you are trying to motivate yourself you stay slim, you may still have work to do on dealing with the problem IYKWIM. Though admittedly working on staying slim is probably wise at the beginning.

Anyway...for example. I've always loved walking, but gradually started connecting walking with calories burnt. That seems normal doesn't it? But, it occurred to me some 30 years later that though I loved walking, I rarely did much when I wasn't 'dieting' :confused:

That's because it had become just a weight loss tool. If I wasn't dieting, I was off diet which meant I shouldn't really do anything 'healthy' :rolleyes: Yeah...weird.

I walk a lot now, just because I love to walk. It has nothing to do with burning calories, or punishment for overeating. I just love walking. I make any excuse to walk. I found a lifestyle change that suited me that now has nothing to do with food.

So if I have days when I feel fat, I don't feel that I should have to go for a walk. I'm not disappointed if my walking doesn't show something magic on the scales. I'm not tempted to overeat knowing that I can make up for it. I know all these things can be crooked thinking for me. More importantly, I don't have to motivate myself to go for a walk.

I just walk because I love walking.

That's just one example :)

Last edited:
Having a specific goal all of the time isn't compulsory.
New goals will present themselves and do not have to be weight related.

Yes, that's true. I've been assuming that my weight has to be a big deal for me forevermore when in reality it's just another aspect of my life...something to keep an eye on but not the be all and end all requiring a "goal".

Glad you are feeling good, you have done so well yourself :)

Ahh more wise words...thank you.
I love hearing everyone's opinions on the subject.

Got an email from a work colleage yesterday ( she too is on CD and lost about 30lbs ), she ended the message with
"GOOD LUCK BUT DONT LET IT TAKE OVER YOUR LIFE". So true and something i intend to go by, despite my maintenance determination.
I really mustn't let it take over. I can still go out and enjoy life without thinking i will inflate, but i just need to hold on to the reins, 'til it all becomes natural to me.

Got an email from a work colleage yesterday ( she too is on CD and lost about 30lbs ), she ended the message with
"GOOD LUCK BUT DONT LET IT TAKE OVER YOUR LIFE". So true and something i intend to go by, despite my maintenance determination.
I really mustn't let it take over. I can still go out and enjoy life without thinking i will inflate, but i just need to hold on to the reins, 'til it all becomes natural to me.

so true nibbles!! My weekend included going out to lunch to Pizza express on saturday with kids and lunch at the in-laws on Sunday and i managed both but in both cases I made good choices, avoided pizza and dessert in favour of tuna nicoise n coffee and then Sunday refused the apple pie n custard offered several times!! and i managed to take 1 choc from a tin of roses at my dad's not that i didn't want to take 20 but i know that doing that would take me back to old behaviours and 1 was nice with no guilt attached.

xx

HI all - great thread - I know what you mean by not letting the plan take over your life - It has had that effect on me - and it was only recently that I realised how my OH resented the diet.... because I kept going on about not eating this or that - and obsessing about my weight.. After discussions with my CDC we agreed to move me up and start to incorporate "real"food back in to my life... It is all about the choices we make. I am still very careful about what I eat and I do keep a mental note - but I can now enjoy a meal out with the family. I am much happier and now that I am consuming a few more calories i have increased my exercise intensity - which is great.

I agree its not just the food - ut lifestyle changes that you need to make to maintain..

Have a great day

HI all - great thread - I know what you mean by not letting the plan take over your life - It has had that effect on me - and it was only recently that I realised how my OH resented the diet.... because I kept going on about not eating this or that - and obsessing about my weight..
I agree its not just the food - ut lifestyle changes that you need to make to maintain..

Agree with you Pretika.
I hold my hands up and admit that i am like the Reformed Smoker at times. Help:eek:
So difficult at times.

I try to focus on where I want to be at the end of my journey although I must admit I still don't know exactley where that is. I do know though that I still have a ways to go. My ticker reflects my first goal. I agree that I shouldn't let this diet take over my life but I do realize that I have to focus on it right now as I sort out the furture and maintance. I am not as terrified of eating real food as I was just 6 short wks ago. I know we all can make it. We have seen the success stories again and again and we have also seen the stories of those that couldn't make it and hopefully we can avoid those mistakes.
My main motivation though is the fact that my body doesn't hurt like it used to everyday. It was so hard for me to get around day to day and now I can do loads of stuff that I would not have even attempted in the past. I walked 3 miles on Sunday and it was wonderful. It took me 50 mins and now when I go I will be trying to bring the time down and maybe get to the point where I can do 6 miles.

Back