What made you start s&s?

cheekychick81

Gold Member
Know this kind of thread have probably been done a million times before but I can't find anything recent... So... What made you start s&s? Was it something specific that happened or had you been planning for a while?

For me it was because I had list 60lbs on s&s last year then piled it all back on after damaging my Achilles' tendon And spending 12 weeks in an air cast.. I had no clothes that fitted me anymore and was totally miserable! I was planning to start on 2nd September but then I got a job interview and tried on my smart trousers and I couldn't fasten them so instead I started the next day on 20th August, sadly I didn't get the job but the trousers fitted and now they are hanging off me! I'm glad I didn't wait until my planned date.. :)

My ultimate goal is that my size 8 best friend of 28 years is getting married next sept and I and and her size 6 other friend are bridesmaids, I am also signed up to run my first marathon in October 2014... I can't stand the thought f standing next to those 2 skinnies at the weight I am now!! I know that VLCD's get the weight off quick so I can start my running too...

Well that's my ramble... What about yours?

Well I lost over 3 stone for my sons wedding and vowed it would be the last time. Then my back started giving me problems and I ended up not being able to get around. It got so bad that a year ago I had to have spinal surgery and over the last 2 1/2 years I have put the weight back plus another almost 2 stone. About 3 months ago someone took my photo and I can honestly say I was shocked and disgusted by the way I looked. I literally could not believe it was me! Yet it has taken me these 3 months to get on with it. So, from yesterday here I go again.

Well I lost over 3 stone for my sons wedding and vowed it would be the last time. Then my back started giving me problems and I ended up not being able to get around. It got so bad that a year ago I had to have spinal surgery and over the last 2 1/2 years I have put the weight back plus another almost 2 stone. About 3 months ago someone took my photo and I can honestly say I was shocked and disgusted by the way I looked. I literally could not believe it was me! Yet it has taken me these 3 months to get on with it. So, from yesterday here I go again.

Good luck Antari :) I can relate to the photo thing, that was the reason I started last year.. I want out for the day for my friends birthday and didn't recognise myself on the pics.. :-(

Well - when I first started the diet 3 things happened in a two week period:

1 - My diabetes medication was put up from 4 tablets to 5 and the extra tablet had to be something other than metformin as I was taking the max amount.

2 - I heard about the Newcastle experiment where they put people with type 2 diabetes on a diet of 600 calories a day and the majority were able to get off their medication.

3 - A colleague told me about a diet she had started called Lighter Life which was 600 calories a day.

I'm not a believer in fate but it seemed impossible to ignore all 3 of those things happening together so I thought I'd give it a go. Part way through I decided to mix it with SnS as I much prefer the SnS savoury meal packs to LL. I successfully lost my excess weight - and was off my medication within 2.5 weeks of starting!

I decided to start again after putting 2 stone on within 5 months of reaching goal - and then maintaining that for a further 10 months. Having learnt how to maintain I decided to come back to SnS to get rid of the excess.

I was flying out on holiday in August. Was bad enough shoe horning myself uncomfortably into my seatbelt but my flight tray was like a ski slope. Couldn't even sit my drink on it. Had to share with my OH. Enough was enough....

What made you start s&s?

For me it's clothes not fitting my wedding rings don't fit struggle to put shoes on and paint toe nails I don't want to end up with health problems because I have gained so much weight. I lost 5st on Lipotrim about 3years ago but have over the last year and a bit managed to put it all back on plus some so enough is enough.

Mille
Start weight 16st 2lbs
Goal weight 10st

It's a few things for me. Lost six stone on lighter life a couple of years ago and maintained really well for a year and a half. Then yo-yo-ed around and haven't made it back to goal since October last year.

1. Rev at church enquired gently about 'patter of tiny feet' (!!!!)
2. Photos of me on business trip earlier this year - back to visit offices in India and looked really big and middle-aged this year
3. Huffing and puffing getting up and down off the floor with my children/gardening
4. Being out of breath taking the stairs at work

Reading all your reasons has made me think... I definitely had a lot more reasons to start than I thought... Yes the dress is the main driver but also I guess I am miserable about my size :-( I hate not bring able to go into shops and choose lovely clothes.. I best keep it up!!!!

Me too cheekychick. Can't wait to buy clothes I want instead of what fits and covers me up. I suspect my style, or lack of, will completely change. Oh and boots that zip up :) x

Last edited:
That don't cost £150!!!

Oh I know. Last few years I've paid over 100 pounds for v ordinary boots, that haven't even lasted the winter. Meanwhile all my friends are wearing gorgeous boots for less than half the price. I've decided this year ankle boots is the way to go :) x

What made you start s&s?

Amen to that I hate that it rules all aspects of my life

Mille
Start weight 16st 2lbs
Goal weight 10st

Me too cheekychick. Can't wait to buy clothes I want instead of what fits and covers me up. I suspect my style, or lack of, will completely change. Oh and boots that zip up :) x

Funnily enough my calfs are huge the top of my body doesn't look like it belongs to the bottom half . Iv never been able to wear a pair of willies EVER
Knee boots NONO !!
Getting knees out nooooo

I know I laugh & these are very small things on my list but these are things amongst a million others that I want to change

Funnily enough my calfs are huge the top of my body doesn't look like it belongs to the bottom half . Iv never been able to wear a pair of willies EVER Knee boots NONO !! Getting knees out nooooo I know I laugh & these are very small things on my list but these are things amongst a million others that I want to change

Lol at a pair of willies. Auto correction is a terrible thing. Me too with the Wellys tho. I had to buy the short hunter ones to walk the dog. The long ones wouldn't go past my ankles hardly never mind my calfs. Think I'd need to get to an 8 for long boots to zip properly. Never going to happen. Think even at my thinnest (many years ago) I was a 12 x

Lol at a pair of willies. Auto correction is a terrible thing. Me too with the Wellys tho. I had to buy the short hunter ones to walk the dog. The long ones wouldn't go past my ankles hardly never mind my calfs. Think I'd need to get to an 8 for long boots to zip properly. Never going to happen. Think even at my thinnest (many years ago) I was a 12 x

Whoops Haha can't believe I wrote that lol made my day !!

I think I was probably size 12 in my late teens I'd be happy with a 12/14 but I'm bigger on the bottom but my size 18 jeans are falling down at the minute I'm holding on though as I want to fit a pair of 16s and not just squeeze into them .

Deleted original post sorry was supposed to go in my diary ! X

Last edited:
I lost nearly 5 stone 5 years ago. From size 22 to 12-14. Got used to being slimmer for about 3 months when I fell pregnant. Kept weight off til last 3 months then ballooned and then put lots more on during maternity leave.
have managed to go from 16 to 14 stone several times since. Am 15 stone at the moment want to get down to at least 13 by Christmas. Why? Because I feel so much better when slimmer I get treated better by my peers.

i hovered around around size 14 much of early adult life, not been at that weight was 13 years. Have had enough.

I lost nearly 5 stone 5 years ago. From size 22 to 12-14. Got used to being slimmer for about 3 months when I fell pregnant. Kept weight off til last 3 months then ballooned and then put lots more on during maternity leave. have managed to go from 16 to 14 stone several times since. Am 15 stone at the moment want to get down to at least 13 by Christmas. Why? Because I feel so much better when slimmer I get treated better by my peers. i hovered around around size 14 much of early adult life, not been at that weight was 13 years. Have had enough.

Hi !!

Welcome :)

Have you started s&s yet or still pondering ?

I'd lost 2 stone myself a couple of years ago and kept that off ..... Came off for a holiday maintained pretty much for the last year but I came back a few weeks ago .

Started this time around at 13 stone 11lb
Monday is my fourth weigh in !!

If your 15 now I'd say its achievable to get that 2 stone off before Xmas if you really stick with it

Good luck with what you decide and keep us updated :)

Yep, am combining the s&s packets it had left with a protein meal/salad and the odd low carb food replacement bar from tesco.

will finish up the s&s sachets I have then do a months order.

i wrote an estimate that I want to lose weekly up until Christmas on a to do list on my iPad, took a screen shot of it and now have that as my home screen for my phone, so I'm reminded several times a day what my short term and longer term goals are, I want to be under 15 by next Friday. 10lb lighter than 2 weeks ago feels good, but I know I look a lot better the closer to 14 stone I get. By 13 stone people tend to say I've lost enough, but I know I look my best around 12.0-12.7, which is just above a healthy bmi apparently.
if I'm anywhere near that at Christmas, that'll certainly be worth celebrating :)

have been 11 stone b4, but that was 20 years ago and I thinking looked like a rake. 12 stone is where it's at :)

Back