What one thing would you tell yourself?

noodles1609

Having a very lovely life
I'm conducting some personal research to assist me on my way with getting to target and staying there, and as you all know I'm a big advocate of the Beck approach to maintaining my loss. I'm going to put together a (hopefully big) list of the best tips I can find, probably on a blog, and just wonder if any of you would be kind enough to share your top tip of things you know now that you wish you knew before - what one thing would you go back in time and tell yourself?

Mine would be - it's not possible to faint from lack of chocolate :)

I'm sure I've nearly fainted through lack of chocolate!! ;) Your thread really got me thinking, I wish I'd lost this weight years ago, I hate having my photo taken even on my wedding day and when my boys were tiny babies. I don't like many of my wedding pics and I have a distinct lack of photos of me with my boys which I'll always regret as I'll never get those times back. Years of 'treating' myself with a takeaway, bottle (or 2!) of wine and a chocolate chaser, huge portions that my body didn't need and a hangover from childhood of clearing my plate! I wish I had told myself that I didn't actually need any of this but through my mistakes I'm learning not to pass this on to my kids. Sorry noodles, I think I've just hijacked your thread for some self therapy!!

I think I'd go back in time and tell my 16 year old self that a size 10/12 is NOT fat. My friends at the time all seemed to be a size 8 and I didn't compare bone sizes or think logically. Carrying that forward to now, I need to stop comparing myself to others still. I'm ME, I should do what's right for me and listen to my body. We should listen to each other - especially on this forum - but remember that one 'size' doesn't fit all. Beating ourselves up is something most of us are oh-so-good at.

That whilst hunger (because of personal issues) is scary, it is not the same as the hunger I had growing up. This is hunger because of busy life/ meal planning etc not through poverty.

I'm not going to get to 83 or whatever and wish I had ate more.

That it will only work when you're doing it for you. Not because people tell you you need to lose weight or you think they're all thinking that. It has to be for you, doing it for everyone else is fine but it won't work if you're just doing it for them.

To not constantly beat myself up for 'failing'. Those negative feelings about oneself have nothing but a negative effect! I'm trying to train myself to start using the Law Of Attraction more and start telling myself I'm beautiful, slim, healthy and successful.
I really do believe that thoughts become things.
Just need to get better at living that law every day..

I would tell myself - "Accept yourself. Forgive yourself for mistakes that you make... And learn to like who you are without trying to measure your worth by everyone around you".

And I'd like to reiterate slim_and_happy's "not beating yourself up for "failures"" which can usually can spiral out of control.

Accepting myself on some level is probably what is making me stick to to this VLCD this time. For the last few years I was having a really hard time getting back to this because I was punishing myself for putting it back on... Then.. I just ... well.. worked on not hating myself so much rather than it being about the food and weight alone... and it appears to have had a positive effect.

If I hate myself less, then I want to hurt myself less too. ;)

Last edited:
Amen to that, Minerva.

I would say that every little bit DOES make the difference, and that it IS worth choosing better food options even if it only saves 20 calories!

A big thank you to everyone for contributing, it's thought provoking stuff and really helpful to me. I've got to add another one today - crisps do not cure pmt and a head cold! Oh dear, these life long habits are going to take some getting over! :)

chocolate also doesnt cure pmt! maybe its supposed to help but I believe exercise is also supposed to help, and a generally healthy diet

also -the more you practice good behaviour, the easier it gets

great thread!

nothing taste as good as slim feels

if you didn't want it before you saw it, you probally didn't want it

food is for nutrition.

My tip would be - do it for you and no one else. You are the only one who can change your life - you are stronger than you think - have faith.

And also dont let anyone tell you that you can't do it!

everything in moderation ... I find if I deny myself bar of chocolate, it plays on my mind actually talks to me lool, so if I really cant resist temptation I break in half and freeze the other or throw away I know wasteful but don't feel so deprived then x

I wish I'd known just how much I would regret refusing to have my photo taken after having my daughter. I am incredibly sad that there are so few photos of her and I together when she was tiny. In fact I'm desperately saddened by the fact that she'll have very few photos of me when I'm gone. I wish I wasn't as selfish and vain as I am.

Back