What should we expect from our Cambridge diet counsellor

Hi Jane

I give my clients a 1oz my pet fat fridge magnet when they have lost their 1st stone and tell them they have lost 224 of those lovely little blobs:rolleyes:

Some put on their fridges and others on their computers at work

That, Linda, sounds great. Thanks.
One of my exW/W clients toldme that they vwere given a marble (to represent a stone) each time thay lost a stone.
Well as a lady with too many hobbies I've ogt a stone tumbler. Fill with pebbles or precious gem rock add various grades of grit & after 4-6 weeks hey presto shiny stones.
the first batch came out of the polish last week. Offered them tentativel to a few clients....to my amazement instead of the polite 'thanks Jane, what a kind thiught but save them for the others' type comments. so far every ones eyes have lit up & the chosen pet stone eagerly staowed in pocket or handbag.
My current fear is that productivity won't be able to keep up.
Also the grinding grits aren't cheap...do you thikn I could claim tham as a legitimare business axpense?

I've always used smiley stickers too (for every stone lost).
Basically, whichever ones I like the look of when I see them! I had some lovely sparkly ones but can't find them anymore :(
I've started using the greetings cards for when an extra bit of motivation is needed too. And at goal, I arrange for flowers to be sent :D

I don't often get chance to call in between appointments :sigh: so I try and make it up when I can! fortunately most of my customers love to chat.. like me!

Oh and yes - the fat blobs... I 've got them but everyone thats seen them so far has gone yuk!! For a first stone thats a good idea... going to borrow that one Linda thanks :)

Right...smiley stickers will be on my shopping list next time I'm in town.

Hadn't thought of the greetings cards, I've ogt some of the postcards with a cocktail glass on the front are these what you mean?

Flower...what a wonder CDC you must be!

Please what do you mean by classes?

In fact, I'm quite anti-extrinsic reward systems, but they do have a place with some people.

I absolutley agree. They have to be given/used in the right spirit & are only ever an add on to the real internal rewards of the client. but they actually reflect more than just a reward for numbers achieved. they are a token of friendship, of the succes of the teamwork etc or even just a harmless joke on a cold morning.

Okay, now this will sound strange. My CDC neither weighed nor measured me, or made a big deal of the weight I lost, yet in my eyes she was the bestest CDC ever.
actually not entirely. I can imagine that the diet process worked for you as long as you could do it on your own terms.
A couple of my ladies are that way inclined.
My job is to give them their head as far as possible but to know how & when to try & point them back towards the conventional path.
Why? Because she learnt very quickly what I needed. She adapted to suit me.
well done her!
What I wanted from a CDC was someone who could advise me, someone who would listen if I needed a moan about the diet. Someone who would supply me with the packs, and always have time for me.

Having said that, I do like the fridge magnet idea of Linda's. Not so much as a reward, more as a visual reminder of what you have already achieved for yourself.

I like the fridge magnet idea, I have threatened fridge magnets to some of my clients, one's with my stern face on to stop them entering the fridge;):p:D

Tracey
x

Can I have one please tracey? ...it'd scare me into behaving well .

actually one client a few weeks back said she had just opened the fridge door & was about to have a good rummage when a picture of me came into her head & she slammed it shut.
So between us we invented the Fridge hologram. When you open the door instead of an ordinary light coming on there appears a holograph of my smiling face learing out from the shelf.
Pretty good aversion therapy don't you thikn?

One of my star ladies bought herself a box of coloured papar clips just after she began.
Each pound lost is a clip & they are jo9ined into a chain. every 7 clips she changes colour. She keeps it in her pocket so she can touch it. whenever she needs a boost she gets it out & holds it up.
Her daughter wanted to be part of mummies diet & is now in charge of the weekly extensions.
Yesterday she told me that the chain is now long enough to go round her waist.

Hi guys
I have just been reading this thread and realise i must be very lucky. My CDC is lovely and very supportive.:D
( Well I've got to say that as she is on this forum LOL ;))
Hi Sharon :giggle:

?
Hadn't thought of the greetings cards, I've ogt some of the postcards with a cocktail glass on the front are these what you mean?

the new cards that were launched at the conference... have you seen them yet??

Please what do you mean by classes?

I live in a rural area, about an hour from any of the nearest towns so a year ago I decided to take myself to the customers instead!! Visiting everyone at home wasn't really an option so I rent a room in a community centre each week and it works really well. I just run then as informal drop ins - I was never keen on the 'usual' group format so I kind of just did what I thought best!
I've got three classes now :D I still see a few at my home but they tend to live more locally to me..... have to allow more time for possible delays by tractor :eek:

actually one client a few weeks back said she had just opened the fridge door & was about to have a good rummage when a picture of me came into her head & she slammed it shut.
So between us we invented the Fridge hologram. When you open the door instead of an ordinary light coming on there appears a holograph of my smiling face learing out from the shelf.
Pretty good aversion therapy don't you thikn?

I love the hologram idea!!! I might have to talk to my techie hubby.... actually, no, far too scary! Will stick with the smily faces and fridge magnets (I did actually buy some to say congratulations for every stone lost but when they arrived I didnt like them :eek:)

My CDC gives a stone for a stone lost, they are lovely tear drop shaped gems to put in your purse as a reminder. And she has super sparkly ones for when you reach goal! She also sent me a (Cambridge) card when I got to half way saying congrats and your doing so well. She is fab,and I see her everyday as her kids go to the same school as my dd, so I can chat to her then if needs be.

Helenx

How Fab is this! My CDC went away last weekend and I'm not due to see her until the middle of next week. I got home last night to find she'd posted a lovely card to me. reminding me that she's still lurking! I was made up! Little things make all the difference don't they!

I live in a rural area, about an hour from any of the nearest towns so a year ago I decided to take myself to the customers instead!! Visiting everyone at home wasn't really an option so I rent a room in a community centre each week and it works really well. I just run then as informal drop ins - I was never keen on the 'usual' group format so I kind of just did what I thought best!
I've got three classes now :D I still see a few at my home but they tend to live more locally to me..... have to allow more time for possible delays by tractor :eek:

Hi Debbie - this sounds like a good idea and one which I've been mulling over...how do you manage stock....?? do you get people's orders beforehand ?? how do you know who's calling in ??

Any tips gratefully received

thanks

Debz

Hi guys
I have just been reading this thread and realise i must be very lucky. My CDC is lovely and very supportive.:D
( Well I've got to say that as she is on this forum LOL ;))
Hi Sharon :giggle:

Awww you didn't have to ... but thank you just the same honey :eek::D

I've just ordered some fridge magnets:) Decided against my photo being on them, I like my clients too much to subject them to that:p

Found a good website if anyone else is interested. www.Vistaprint.co.uk

You can edit the text etc. and add your own logos or photos. Site also provides stationery, business cards etc.

Prices seemed reasonable to me too.

Tracey
x

Thanks peeps for all your replys ! Seems we have some great CDC out there!!
Do you think it would work better for cdc to work like LLc ? as in group meeting, so everyone can sit and say how they felt about their week on cd and surrport eachother , maybe get their customers together on the same nights or have two nights running or a day group say saturday and an eve group in the week . Would that surrport people more ?

Last edited:
LOL Damn! Nearly had something to solve all my problems then :D

Only joking honey...... still think you're too nice to be realllyyyy scary!

I've just ordered some fridge magnets:) Decided against my photo being on them, I like my clients too much to subject them to that:p

You can edit the text etc. and add your own logos or photos. Site also provides stationery, business cards etc.

Tracey
x

Thanks peeps for all your replys ! Seems we have some great CDC out there!!
Do you think it would work better for cdc to work like LLc ? as in group meeting, so everyone can sit and say how they felt about their week on cd and surrport eachother , maybe get their customers together on the same nights or have two nights running or a day group say saturday and an eve group in the week . Would that surrport people more ?

I believe some CDC's do have group slots.
Pretty sure DQ does & poss Diva (she's also 'properly'trained in counselling skills eg hypnotherapy. NLP )

Tracey
x

Wow ..another good idea . will have a look at the site wnem I've got a mo!
tonight I need to get some shut-eye

Hi Summerof69,
I've done both LL and CD. The group meetings were really helpful to begin with for support, but after a while it became a forum for everyone to talk about breaking the diet and what they had eaten! I found that quite depressing as I was SSing 100%. It's one of the reasons I changed to CD.

Hi Jane, Good idea if everyone is thinking postive 100% dieting , but when as Frejja said yes people talking about breaking the diet ... thats where the CDC must come in and do her bit .
Frejja when they started to talk about breaking the diet , what did the LLC say to people when this was said ?
Its up to us at the end of the day, to be postive to get to goal , ?
Group meetings can be helpful if everyone wants to change the habbit of a life time ! surrporting eachother

Frejja when they started to talk about breaking the diet , what did the LLC say to people when this was said ?
My Q too?
I thought LL use CBT & TA & have a v low tolerance for people who break the rules?

Hiya

I used to run classes but had to stop last year for a number of reasons. (i) 2 slipped discs meant I couldn't load/unload the car or walk very well; (ii) failure of people to turn up (even when they had placed orders) meant sometimes I was paying for the room and sitting there on my lonesome :( ; (iii) people didn't want to stay and chat - don't know if it was just my clients, but they didn't really want to sit down and natter (be it good or bad). I do a drop in evening on Thursdays instead and it works much better as I have all the stock there, people do a hit and run after work, and of course if no one shows up it hasn't cost me anything! :p

~Our Counsellor

Our counsellor visits the house once a week.

She arrives , weighs three of us ,( has never taken any measurements).

Tells us how she struggles with her weight as she eats out a lot!!! but its better now she s joined weight watchers.

Takes our order and is gone again within 15 mninutes.

No advice, no praise no nothing. She just supplies the items!!

i have said all along that I feel she should offer some sort of support or at leaqst tell us about the diet but nothing.!She has never mentioned meals , how we should incorporate food at all. She just keeps supplying sole source and has done for the last 3 months!

My sister is at half a stone off goal but she has never mentioned how to adapt when she gets there. Maybe she will advise we join weight watchers with her!!!

Thoughts please?:wave_cry:

I'm sorry to hear you don't get support from your CDC, even more worrying is that they haven't discussed stabilisation or maintenance with you all! Which in my opinion is the most important process. What is your sister's BMI? It sounds like she should have started moving up the plans by now.

Maybe you could mention your concerns to your CDC and see how she reacts to this.

I didn't have a supportive CDC either but I followed the information in the yellow weight care with cambridge booklet and asked lots of questions on Minimins:)

Tracey
x

Taradog , my god she sounds awful , hey think you should look on the CD web site for another this one for 3 people 15 mins ? thats no good is it ?
Can i ask how much she charges ?
So shes also telling you shes going to WW ? huh that is a sign she can't even stick to CD herself , but sells it . She should be telling you about the plans but best thing is to sit her down and say ok can we talk about moving up the plans as i have no idea , see if she really knows ? like a test ?

tracey, my dad's CDC has given him a magnet with her name on! not a stern face though, in fact, it's quite a pretty magnet.. it's just got her name, and number and says cambridge diet counsellor and not much else.. but it's enough of a reminder when you go near the fridge!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh know who your dad is then!!! Hiya Liz - and well done on your progress ... he is very proud of you!

Yes Tracey i use vista print for my magnets ... they have all my contact details on, so easy for clints to get hold of me, plus remind them to drink more water and not eat!!! Keep saying I'm going to have a camera put in them!!

Back