What should we expect from our Cambridge diet counsellor

By the way Summer, I dont charge for the magazine, and keep back old copies if they want them also.

xx Sam

Lots of good fedback, oh yes she gave me the chart to measures myself , but she doesn't do it , another thing less for her . She said to take it home and todo it . The mag unsure if she charges as i never had a mag . Nothing said about the mag .

I'm on my second CDC and he is great. I never feel rushed and he is always willing to talk if I need to, but also backs off when he senses or when I tell him that I want to do it my way.

The reason I'm on my second CDC is because I didn't like my first one, so I changed. Simple as that!

If you don't feel comfortable or happy with your CDC change to another one. You pay for a service as well as the goodies (we're not allowed to obtain them any other way) so it's up to you to make sure you get value for your money.

Mine is fab and, allthough I haven't said this before, she has a very difficult job because she is 600 miles away...
I live on an island just off the north west of Scotland and the nearest CDC is some 200 miles away as far as I know. My CDC used to be my neighbour when I lived in Busckinghamshire and she has taken me on, including the logistical challenge...

xxx

I love this story. A little effort & resourcefullness can overcome most problems.

WOW I want Lemon Legs
Yep! after reading her post I want her too!

Hiya,

I just started CD with a counsellor, this is my first week. She came last week to our initial meeting, plenty of emails beforehand as this is how I contacted her.. She was really really nice... Stayed about 45 minutes, plenty of chat, got weighed, lots of support and encouragement...

Since then received an email from here saying hope all's ok and giving me advice on some citric acid free flavoured water to buy from Asda and a local beauty salon (I've been wanting to pamper myself after being ill and looking for somewhere that does manicures, head massages, tanning etc) which I thought was really lovely of her...

Then yesterday she rang me! This was totally unexpected and made me feel really warm and fuzzy! :D Couldn't believed she was actually wanting to know if I was finding the diet ok and how things were etc...

So very impressed and I think if this is the way she's going to be throughout, she's going to be a big motivator and really help keep me going...

If you're not happy with yours I really would say change, at the end of the day this diet isn't the easiest in the world to do, you don't want anything to bring you down, you need all the support you can get!

tinks x

ps my counsellor is Karen in West Yorkshire.:D

My brain is always on the lookout for little btis of info, tricks & tips that might be right for a particular client with a particular stumbling block & so on.

What I'm currently considering are little way to reward & re-inforce success. form most people most of the time success (eg lbs down or inches lost ) coupled with clothes loosening is all the reward we need, however I like to have extras up my sleeve for the occ client who needs that extra bit of congratulation or self belief.

I believe that stars or similar are usd by a national wieght-loss organisation. This is fine, but my clients tend to be competent, intelligent, mature & experienced people. I want to support/ encourage/ celebrate their efforts & achievements, not patronise or infantalise them.

Any suggestions most welcome

Ohh my CDC gives me stars and to be honest I love it! When I look at my little green crad and see the stars its fab... am I just immature?!

I have Smilies that I put on my clients cards as rewards. They love them. Always trying to get to the next one. Simple but effective.

Ohh my CDC gives me stars and to be honest I love it! When I look at my little green crad and see the stars its fab... am I just immature?!

Def not. If they work for you that's all that matters.
My reluctance to use them was my fear that clients may consider them patronisisng because of their dual associations of a) young children b) weigt watchers.
I'm not anti W/W either, infact I often recommend it as an option under various circs.
The feeling I get though from many who have done W/w & failed, is that now they are trying a different diet & like a different re-inforcement token.
am I making sense?

so the fact that you like your stars mean that it's something I should re-consider. They are easy, visual & can be popped onto the green weight card or taken home & put on a personal chart, in a diary ...even on the fridge!

Chika, Do you get one for each lb? or how does ot work?
I have Smilies that I put on my clients cards as rewards. They love them. Always trying to get to the next one. Simple but effective.

Ah smilies like the sound of these. Please Hedgemag are they stickers or a stamp or hand drawn or what?

more info please...

Hi Jane, I use the smilies stickers..you can get all different ones. Mine have hands and are waving lol

Hi Jane

I give my clients a 1oz my pet fat fridge magnet when they have lost their 1st stone and tell them they have lost 224 of those lovely little blobs:rolleyes:

Some put on their fridges and others on their computers at work

I've always used smiley stickers too (for every stone lost).
Basically, whichever ones I like the look of when I see them! I had some lovely sparkly ones but can't find them anymore :(
I've started using the greetings cards for when an extra bit of motivation is needed too. And at goal, I arrange for flowers to be sent :D

I don't often get chance to call in between appointments :sigh: so I try and make it up when I can! fortunately most of my customers love to chat.. like me!

Oh and yes - the fat blobs... I 've got them but everyone thats seen them so far has gone yuk!! For a first stone thats a good idea... going to borrow that one Linda thanks :)

Last edited:
My adult piano students usually want stickers :D They don't get them though, because I forget:eek: :D

In fact, I'm quite anti-extrinsic reward systems, but they do have a place with some people.

Okay, now this will sound strange. My CDC neither weighed nor measured me, or made a big deal of the weight I lost, yet in my eyes she was the bestest CDC ever.

Why? Because she learnt very quickly what I needed. She adapted to suit me.

It was important to me that I wasn't weighed or measured by her. It was also important to me that she didn't go head over heels with each pound I lost, and she sussed me out very quickly.

What I wanted from a CDC was someone who could advise me, someone who would listen if I needed a moan about the diet. Someone who would supply me with the packs, and always have time for me.

I strongly believe that the more support you get in the way of extrisic rewards, the harder it is to keep on track. Your motivation can shift from what you originally set out to achieve.....ie to lose weight for you and only you. It can become 'for the sticker', 'to keep the CDC happy' 'to get that cheer'. The journey can change in very subtle ways without you really realising and make the process appear easier, but end up being on shakey foundations.

Having said that, I do like the fridge magnet idea of Linda's. Not so much as a reward, more as a visual reminder of what you have already achieved for yourself.

I like the fridge magnet idea, I have threatened fridge magnets to some of my clients, one's with my stern face on to stop them entering the fridge;):p:D

Tracey
x

Now I feel bad for giving out stickers :rolleyes: Only kidding... most of my ladies like them - those that don't, like you said, we've sussed each other out!

I've always said to all my lovely customers, they set the level of support they want - if they want a regular call or email, I try to provide, I always make sure we have time to chat when they come along, even at the classes (those that want to be more indepth know when its quieter :))

I do have a lot, mainly at the classes, that often just want to fly by, usually en route to other things! But then, I've always got the kettle on and I can sometimes persuade them to keep me company for a bit :D

I suppose what I'm really saying is rewards have a place, but be careful how you use them.

I suppose, if I was a CDC, I'd like to think that I'd encourage them to find these little rewards for themselves. To help them to see how they have helped themselves to achieve their goal. Deflecting the attention from my pleasure in their success, to how well or good they must feel.

There's loads of research to back this up. I've done many essays in my time about extrinsic vs intrisic rewards, and you'll be surprised how damaging it can be if not used wisely.

I like the fridge magnet idea, I have threatened fridge magnets to some of my clients, one's with my stern face on to stop them entering the fridge;):p:D

Tracey
x

LOL sorry Tracey, just can't imagine you having a stern face - you'll have to send me one ;)

Tracey
x

tracey, my dad's CDC has given him a magnet with her name on! not a stern face though, in fact, it's quite a pretty magnet.. it's just got her name, and number and says cambridge diet counsellor and not much else.. but it's enough of a reminder when you go near the fridge!!!

LOL sorry Tracey, just can't imagine you having a stern face - you'll have to send me one ;)

Lol Just ask my kids:D

tracey, my dad's CDC has given him a magnet with her name on! not a stern face though, in fact, it's quite a pretty magnet.. it's just got her name, and number and says cambridge diet counsellor and not much else.. but it's enough of a reminder when you go near the fridge!!!

Oh that's a good idea!

Now I have to decide whether to get nice one's or scary one's made. Maybe both, I know some of my clients would love a scary face one, just to keep the children in check too! Plus I'll have to send one to Katie:D

Tracey
x

Liking the fridge magnet idea! Tracey, if mine's not scarey enough, can you do one for me too ;)

Who I'm kidding, of course mine's scarey enough (are any of my clients reading this - be afraid, be very afraid).

Back